Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Wouldn't it be nice if you could just click on a thread and make it off-f***?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At the top of this Big Board, there is a link for Albion Only threads.

Look for Just Albion threads.
There is also the 'filter' option (top right, just at the top of the list of threads, rather than in the hear). Like the 'albion' section, but you can pick which prefix you want. You can also filter to 'discussion threads' which will remove all the threads with polls, and any question threads, but that would include score predictions and other albion related polls. Maybe use that for now as the better option until next weekend when we return to league action and you might want score predictions/man of the match polls etc (assuming the threads are set up as polls). Otherwise you have to go through each prefix, one at a time, which may get annoying if there are a lot of other topics you want to look at.

They are not perfect, but they are options if these threads bothers you enough.

Jeez... is scrolling down a web page so much hard work?
Bit like motorists not indicating their intentions by not lifting a finger a couple of inches to the indicator switch. Lazy.
There's also this. It's been enough for all the years of NSC's previous existence.

Though, on the other hand, is it really that much hard work to slice your own bread? That much hard work to get up and use the switch on the TV. Not really, but sliced bread is really convenient, as are remote controls. A lot of life conveniences aren't really needed to avoid hard work, but can be greatly appreciated.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Totally agree with the TPPH - it would be helpful

But - I don’t think there’s any need for people to slam certain types of threads on here or say why they don’t like them - I think that could offend people - maybe people don‘t want to discuss the war in Ukraine or Gaza or Dogs etc or see threads about MH issues, or play Wordle every day but others do- the one thing I do love about NSC - is exactly it’s diversity of members, and the craziness of every day seeing a thread start up on the most strangest of topics! They don’t all appeal to me, not even the all the Albion threads - in fact on there are about 10% of threads on NSC that do, so for me I guess the price of that diversity is having to scroll down past a load of stuff I’m not interested in.

I agree it can get a little tedious but there is a thread filter that can be used to show ONLY all Albion threads or ONLY all News threads etc - maybe that filter can be modified so we can click on several forums from the dropdown list instead of just one?

Perhaps, in the meantime, a little more tolerance of others and patience wouldn’t go amiss?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree Just went to look up post about womens game tomorrow and now half way down 2nd page. Would be good if one could just remove from front page non Albion threads that are of no interest.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bozza has created the 'Albion only' threads option, which I guess is a part solution - but as there are some other threads that are of interest (not of the 'either/or' variety though!) it is not an option for me.
I heartily endorse the OP's suggestion -if it's possible to do it would be great.
Great if possible. I know there is an Albion only thread but always look at non league, Restaurants, books and many others. Certainly at moment so many of little interest so would be good to be able to remove to say 2nd page

Apr 9, 2020
I'm sorry, but I haven't a clue what you're on about.
Really?

Assuming you're serious, though I find that hard to believe - some people simply don't want to talk/see or let alone think about politics/war/brexit/the latest celebrity scandal etc etc. Simply seeing a thread title related to any of the above may be too much for some. Everyone has their own mental health battles and everyone has little to no knowledge of the battles others are fighting.

Those who cannot understand that surely don't appreciate mental health.

This "just scroll past it" attitude just doesn't wash - even seeing some of these subjects in one's peripheral vision may be too much for some.

NSC is a WONDERFUL place for banter, good humor, and random crap. The constant sniping by a minority in the usual threads is tiresome and to hide them for good would be BLISS for many.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
NSC is my home page and I can sometimes waste a lot of time going through some very interesting threads and enjoying all of it.
But now it's full of x or y threads that are an absolute waste of my life. Indeed, today I actually got some work done as NSC was full of just rubbish threads.
It's not always 'Albion' that we want though. Israel, Netflix and music interests me as well, just need a 'swipe right' button to get rid forever.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Crikey. As has been pointed out, there is an Albion only section if non-Albion threads make you so angry….which they clearly do.
Not at all, in fact living away from Sussex I possibly enjoy many of the non albion threads as much as I do albion ones. It when people come in making sweeping statements on matters that they just don't understand that my hackles are raised.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like this one maybe?

Seriously tho, NSC could really really do with an Ignore Thread feature. Zap all them 'x or y' threads that are a dreary waste of bandwidth. Ditto the Wordle thread. Ditto [insert your least favourite thread(s) here]. How about it @Bozza? Do you have the technology? Can we further fine-tune our NSC user experience so we don't even have to have any exposure to - In Our Humble Opinion - deeply s*** threads that are never going to get any more rewarding?

I'd love that.

The Ignore function blocks diatribe, shit stirring and spiteful posts, but then you miss out if they have anything kind to say.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I’d love the option to ‘Hide Thread’ or similar.

There’s so much absolute CRAP on the Big Board, after a quick scan most days I just don’t bother searching the next page or generally engaging.

The ‘Albion Only’ solution is not ideal - because then we would be potentially missing other threads of other themes which we may be interested in.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Like this one maybe?

Seriously tho, NSC could really really do with an Ignore Thread feature. Zap all them 'x or y' threads that are a dreary waste of bandwidth. Ditto the Wordle thread. Ditto [insert your least favourite thread(s) here]. How about it @Bozza? Do you have the technology? Can we further fine-tune our NSC user experience so we don't even have to have any exposure to - In Our Humble Opinion - deeply s*** threads that are never going to get any more rewarding?
Absolutely - its become a bit of a shit heap of late

Brok

Bork. I meant Bork.
Dec 26, 2011
Really?

Assuming you're serious, though I find that hard to believe - some people simply don't want to talk/see or let alone think about politics/war/brexit/the latest celebrity scandal etc etc. Simply seeing a thread title related to any of the above may be too much for some. Everyone has their own mental health battles and everyone has little to no knowledge of the battles others are fighting.

Those who cannot understand that surely don't appreciate mental health.

This "just scroll past it" attitude just doesn't wash - even seeing some of these subjects in one's peripheral vision may be too much for some.

NSC is a WONDERFUL place for banter, good humor, and random crap. The constant sniping by a minority in the usual threads is tiresome and to hide them for good would be BLISS for many.
OK. Thank you.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The Just Albion filter isn’t the answer, and doesn’t address the suggestion of the OP. There are plenty of non-football topics that different people want to read but the ability to hide a thread gives us the ability to create our own filters. And please, no more of these 'do you prefer Twix or Mars Bar?'-type stoned student bullshit threads.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find it odd that there are posts on here actively opposing a thread ignore facility. Seems odd to want to control what other people want to read about.

I worked that one out years ago:
1. Grandstanding by people who want to force their views as fact on literally everyone. This was proven when @Bozza set up the Bear Pit, from the left and right they stopped posting there :lolol:. Why?
2. Or spiteful/hateful middle-aged blokes, who want others to see their spite or shit stirring in an OP. A pathetic ego trip in drawing like minded bitches with Likes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jeez... is scrolling down a web page so much hard work?
Bit like motorists not indicating their intentions by not lifting a finger a couple of inches to the indicator switch. Lazy.
Nobody said it was hard work. Nothing to do with being lazy either. Not even people getting angry - although some people....ahem...... seem to get angry at the very idea of such a discssion.
What it is about, is a sensible suggestion for a modification which, if it were possible, would improve NSC for many people.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nobody said it was hard work. Nothing to do with being lazy either. Not even people getting angry - although some people....ahem...... seem to get angry at the very idea of such a discssion.
What it is about, is a sensible suggestion for a modification which, if it were possible, would improve NSC for many people.
And people who don’t like thread ignore don’t have to use it…..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Just Albion filter isn’t the answer, and doesn’t address the suggestion of the OP. There are plenty of non-football topics that different people want to read but the ability to hide a thread gives us the ability to create our own filters. And please, no more of these 'do you prefer Twix or Mars Bar?'-type stoned student bullshit threads.
And it's the same problem with any sort of filter - that just blocks some threads from ever appearing, so if you've got the filter on you never even knew of their existance. We stlll want to see all threads - some we would hide straight away, but many others we would initially dip in to see what it was about, where it was going, etc. At that point we mght stay interested, maybe join in - or alternatively think, 'Nah, that's not for me, not interested or whatever' and click to make it disappear. That would be great.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If I really hate seeing a thread title all the time ( for example a Brexit thread ) I just zap the OP with the ignore gun.

Job done. No thread anymore.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I agree with the OP that it would be great to have as a feature and not see certain threads at all but I don’t understand why you are reading pages and pages of threads that dont interest you in the first place? Or why anyone would especially if it has a negative impact on their mental health 😳

I might initially look at a thread if I haven't been on NSC for a bit and there's a new topic. Some new threads go to 3/4/5 pages very very quickly. So I might have a browse and then leave the thread if it's not for me ... as is happening a lot at the moment. But then I might come back to MSC again later and have to work my way through a whole list of threads to find one that I am interested in amongst those I no longer am bothered about.

I would love to be able to put those threads I might have had a quick look - at but no longer want to view - on ignore.

Oh, and I haven't actually mentioned mental health myself ... but then mental health issues can affect people in different ways. Some won't not be able to avoid threads that might cause them issues ... that's how mental health issues can work. It's not always easy to control ... or resist something that isn't good for you.

I asked @Bozza to remove me from NSC on a previous occasion because it was affecting my mental health (there, I have mentioned it now). I ended up staying but I have been so close to asking him again. Logging off doesn't fully remove the issue ...

I hope that gives you some sort of understanding.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
If I really hate seeing a thread title all the time ( for example a Brexit thread ) I just zap the OP with the ignore gun.

Job done. No thread anymore.
But you also zap all that poster's other contributions which may be mostly ok. It can’t be that complicated to hide a thread without hiding everything a particular member says on any topic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here