[Humour] Would you vote leave or remain..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you…

• Leave

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Remain

Votes: 348 85.9%

• Total voters

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It will take a long time before the EU will want to even contemplate us rejoining the full Union. They are so piss*d off with Davies/ Johnson and co's pathetic and insulting behaviour while negotiation the leave deal that they really don't want us anywhere near them. Sadly we f'd up big time....

The best we can hope for is to rejoin the single market, if we can get a good enough deal.

Michel Barnier was on Peston last week saying "of course the EU would have us back as we pretty much meet all the criteria" (at least that what I think he said in his forrin jibber-jabber)

The problem with this standpoint, is that it ignores that NOBODY actually voted for the ultra-hardline form of Brexit that the rabid Tory party enacted.

The Leave campaign set out various promises leading up the the vote, including remaining within the customs union, and retaining the right to work across Europe, no roaming charges, and a promised DROP in food bills.

You could argue that neither those voting FOR the promised Brexit, OR those who voted against, have got what they voted for. How is that 'democratic'?
What Cameron should have done is to say "This government will now open negotiations with the EU to explore leave options" then put together a multi-party negotiating team of Johnson, Gove, Farage, Hoey, Stuart etc to take a year to negotiate possible options and then put them to the electorate in another referendum, so people knew exactly what they would be voting for.
The fact that the charlatan ran away shortly afterwards was the start of the whole cluster-f*ck

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Could you put this into a three word slogan please? People struggle with paragraphs.
There's yer problem in a nutshell.

Patronising and condescending jibes at Leavers questioning their ability to comprehend such matters makes things worse.

Comes down to a previous comment about folk not even trying to make this transition work, simply hoping for bumps in the road to allow for hand-wringing and 'I told you so'.

Pretty churlish.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Voted leave, but would vote remain now. Expected to remain in the Customs Union or Single Market, as that was the line given by plenty in the Leave Campaign. Just wasn't sure about the Political side of it. Utter car crash it has become with stupid red lines, Davis's non-negotiation, the economic damage and the Northern Ireland difficulties, I find it hard to understand how anyone can be satisfied with the outcome of the vote

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
People choosing not to vote is the height of democracy.
No it’s not - it can be argued that not to vote is a freedom of choice but that is not the basis of democracy.

With rights comes duties - the right to vote in an election comes with equal duty to do so. The basis of democracy is that decisions should be made according to the will of the majority - the majority of all those eligible to vote, not just those who can be bothered to do so.

If your statement were valid it would imply that countries such as Australia, Belgium and Luxembourg weren’t democracies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unchanged as a Remainer.

Originally that was primarily for economic reasons. But since then the following have become glaringly obvious:
1. Putin and Trump reveled in our exit .... think about the reasons why? Ukraine has strengthened that feeling, through NATO and the EU alliances are vital.
2. The madness of passport controls, queues and restrictions.
3. A love of continental Europe and most Europeans, we should be as one with them, I've only come across great warmth for us. This was unnecessarily dented, they thought we all thought like Farage!!!

My hopes are that Starmer has bottle and really seeks a Norway style agreement or more, in his first term. My instinct is that he'll bottle it.

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The problem with this standpoint, is that it ignores that NOBODY actually voted for the ultra-hardline form of Brexit that the rabid Tory party enacted.

The Leave campaign set out various promises leading up the the vote, including remaining within the customs union, and retaining the right to work across Europe, no roaming charges, and a promised DROP in food bills.

You could argue that neither those voting FOR the promised Brexit, OR those who voted against, have got what they voted for. How is that 'democratic'?
The rabid ERG/Farage enamoured Boris opportunistic wanker Nadine twattish Jacob Rees Mogg bitty nanny version of the Conservative Party. What a complete and utter bunch of c u n t s. Euroscepticism - a 40-50 year internal battle within the hard right and left of British politics that has f u c k e d the vast middle. And the Syrian migrant crisis was the perfect background for a xenophobic-tainted referendum. Despair at the damage caused.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
If Starmer gets in, and if he rigs the ballot by letting under 18s and mainly white foreigners vote what makes you think there will be anything of the EU worth joining considering the way things are going?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No problem with people changing their minds but people were asking for a second referendum the day after the first one!

If there was a referendum tomorrow and we voted to rejoin then so be it. I bet you wouldn't get the bedwetting from the leavers that we've seen over the last several years from the remainers.
Stop! I'm having dinner. Lucky I didn't have a mouthful of food or it would all be up the wall now. Farrage and chums would have a field day.

And in any case, as someone who though the very idea of a referendum was undemocratic, I'm buggered if I want another one.

If we are offered another one of course I'd vote 'rejoin'. But bridges are burned - the favourable terms, some of which were hard-won by Thatcher, are no longer going to be available.

No, the referendum was a bit like a vote on whether to chop your willy off or not. There is no point thinking about another vote 3 years later.

If labour put in their manifesto that they will pursue the best deal with the EU, even if that means single market and 'reopening' the borders, I'd be happy. Tell the unionists to shut the f*** up and get back to Stormont, and co-operate properly with the French over the madcap channel crossing lunacy.

And incidentally, I am still waiting for the new freedom granted to me by Brexit. What was it supposed to be? Something about square bananas and £350 million extra a week for the NHS. Far cough. All lies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m really surprised anyone English voted leave . Surely remain was the best option or am I missing something.
You must have noticed that some posters on here are f***ing weird, no?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No it’s not - it can be argued that not to vote is a freedom of choice but that is not the basis of democracy.

With rights comes duties - the right to vote in an election comes with equal duty to do so. The basis of democracy is that decisions should be made according to the will of the majority - the majority of all those eligible to vote, not just those who can be bothered to do so.

If your statement were valid it would imply that countries such as Australia, Belgium and Luxembourg weren’t democracies.
Yes, that's my view too. I'd add that all ballots should have a 'no candidate' option, and if 'no candidate' gets the most votes then your constituency returns no representative.

That might focus a few minds.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
The rabid ERG/Farage enamoured Boris opportunistic wanker Nadine twattish Jacob Rees Mogg bitty nanny version of the Conservative Party. What a complete and utter bunch of c u n t s. Euroscepticism - a 40-50 year internal battle within the hard right and left of British politics that has f u c k e d the vast middle. And the Syrian migrant crisis was the perfect background for a xenophobic-tainted referendum. Despair at the damage caused.
Sums them up pretty well!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I’d argue that in our country we have a democratic right to abstain.

I can see what you’re saying though and I don’t entirely disagree.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I always thought Democracy was about kicking the sods out peacefully.

Amazed how many on here are so casual about disenfranchising 52% of the electorate by gaming the system, maybe should look up Grey Zone?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So, even though you voted Remain, you would now vote Leave to piss off some people who annoyed you, even though you now know it to be a complete clusterf*** and makes life harder for you and all the rest of the Electorate.

That's nice :wink:
I’ll let you in on a little secret: He didn’t vote remain. Neither did anyone else who says they voted remain but would now change their vote to leave to respect democracy or some other nonsense reason such as ‘the way the EU have treated us post Brexit’.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I always thought Democracy was about kicking the sods out peacefully.

Amazed how many on here are so casual about disenfranchising 52% of the electorate by gaming the system, maybe should look up Grey Zone?
How are 52% being disenfranchised?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports