Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Would you vote leave or remain..

Would you…

• Leave

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Remain

Votes: 348 85.9%

• Total voters

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Okay I did that, all the links are about a Qatar scandal. This appears to be about Qatar buying influence in the EU. Not sure this is anything to do with the time it takes to reelect a parliament.

Perhaps you can point to a better example?

If we are comparing though, do we have any serious proof that corruption is more common place in Europe than in Westminster? Come to think of it, it corruption levels the best metric to measure democratic levels?

I'm not so sure.
I’ve explained in quite a lot of detail why I think the EU is more open to corruption. If you want to believe it is maybe the same as Westminster then that’s your prerogative, but corruption is rife in many countries across the EU and the way they vote for their politicians really doesn’t help.

Feel free to have the last say but I’ve got better things to do. UTA.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26014387

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’ve explained in quite a lot of detail why I think the EU is more open to corruption. If you want to believe it is maybe the same as Westminster then that’s your prerogative, but corruption is rife in many countries across the EU and the way they vote for their politicians really doesn’t help.

There were some corrupt MEPs. They were sacked immediately their corruption was discovered unlike this country who can’t even sack one MP without nearly causing civil war.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

We were talking about the relative democratic systems though. You keep talking about FIFA and corruption.

No need to get shirty, I just don't think you have made a very convincing case that the EU system of electing their leaders is less democratic than the system in Westminster.

Thanks for the discussion though.

Edit - you really should read the links you post to make sure they point to what you think they do. That article is about corruption in member countries not the EU parliament.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would change my mind and vote leave just to piss off all the wankers in this country that clearly can't accept democracy.
Define Democracy - because you are possibly thinking about 'first past the post'. Or maybe you are slightly confused that as a country governed by a 'parliamentary democracy' we managed to hand over power to the Eton elite ( aka Eton shite).

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
We were talking about the relative democratic systems though. You keep talking about FIFA and corruption.

No need to get shirty, I just don't think you have made a very convincing case that the EU system of electing their leaders is less democratic than the system in Westminster.

Thanks for the discussion though.

Edit - you really should read the links you post to make sure they point to what you think they do. That article is about corruption in member countries not the EU parliament.
Sorry if I sounded shirty, I wasn’t, just needed to actually do some work!

Yes appreciate it might appear to be a tangent but as I stated initially, corruption and the treatment of member states (particularly Greece and Spain) were the two main reasons I voted Leave.

Specifically on corruption, this is much more of a problem in Europe. FIFA elect their Presidents in a similar way to the European Commission and this increases the likelihood of bribes and corruption, which is why I made the comparison.

“Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

The EU gives too much power to a relative small group of people who appear to take it in turns to lead to give the semblance of democracy.

Hope this makes sense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry if I sounded shirty, I wasn’t, just needed to actually do some work!

Yes appreciate it might appear to be a tangent but as I stated initially, corruption and the treatment of member states (particularly Greece and Spain) were the two main reasons I voted Leave.

Specifically on corruption, this is much more of a problem in Europe. FIFA elect their Presidents in a similar way to the European Commission and this increases the likelihood of bribes and corruption, which is why I made the comparison.

“Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

The EU gives too much power to a relative small group of people who appear to take it in turns to lead to give the semblance of democracy.

Hope this makes sense.
If you were looking at corruption, then Greece is a good example of being pulled back from the brink by the EU.
When a country wants to join now, they undertake to join the Euro, but there’s no time scale. Denmark still hasn’t joined, and there are others.
Greece was bankrupt and wanted to join the euro but certain conditions have to be met, so other states don’t suffer. The EU Parliament said they would have to go through austerity because letting people retire early, on almost full pensions was madness. They had a huge problem with unemployment, but battled by making thousands government or local government employees, again with no money to pay them
Greeks detest paying any taxes, and get round local taxes by not quite finishing off their homes. An iron bar sticking out of a concrete block being one example.
The Greek public rebelled, blamed the EU for imposing such strict criteria, but one leader (can’t remember his name off hand) said call a General Election, and he explained the nitty gritty truth to them. He won, with the highest proportion of votes (they have PR).
They are now well on the road to recovery albeit having higher prices for everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here