Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would YOU take £50m for Ben White?

Would YOU take £50m for Ben White?

• Yep - I'll drive him to Arsenal myself

Votes: 250 85.9%
  • Nah - he's going nowhere on my watch

Votes: 41 14.1%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
50? No. Not when Maguire's 80 million.

Stick another 10-15 mill on top of that and I'd bite your hand off though.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
£50m for Ben White is fantastic. If Ben stayed I am sure we would have lost Ostigard (we still might) most likely to Coventry for about a million. I am hoping we give him a chance, if he is as good as he thinks he is then perhaps he will turn into a £20m- £30m player. If that happens then Brighton would have lost no money and helped their reputation with their academy.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
£50m is a great fee for him. Shame he didn't play at the Euros, we could possibly have wrung out another £5m or so. I think it's probably around the right price, and we can easily invest it into other areas. I would be very slightly concerned about who picks up his starting spot as things stand, but we could see Burn move back into the middle or maybe even a space re-opening for Duffy.

veltman, duffy? no chance

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
50 mill is an astronomical amount of money for a player that has only played one season in the top league, is our 3rd best central defender and has not shown that he is worth this amount, yet!

Great business for the club, and a boost to the academy team that want to attract young players to sign up in future.

If we can follow this up with a goal scorer coming in, and hold on to Biss for one more season before selling him for at least the same amount as BW, then we are following the model that our Uncle Tony set out to do.

Nobody can think that selling isn’t the correct thing to do surely?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think we got top dollar for our 3rd best centre half. He may well become a great player, the raw material is there for sure but his heart never seemed to be here and its top dollar. I think he will become a very good player and may prove to be a bargain but at this point its a good decision for the club and a good maybe slightly inflated price for the player himself.

If we can use that money wisely in this market we could really strengthen the side no end...

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Shame I won’t get to see him play but I trust in Tony, hopefully stop the fans from big clubs assuming they can just walk in and pick our players up on the cheap

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
NO what are we a charity ? , slabhead went for 80m and although he was surprisingly good in the Euro`s he is no Ben White . BW is turning into one of the rare new breed of defender who can play easily from the back and join or create the attack . We have over 7 years invested in his training , a lot of very clever people took time and effort in his progression , and personally ( if true ) i am disgusted with the way he has supposedly been openly behind this move and even looking for a new house in the area .

In short if Maguire is worth 80m White should at least be worth the same , and if it were Leicester that is what they would expect .

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I like him. He is great on the ball and has massive potential but 50m is a huge overpay from arsenal in my mind. I have question marks over how well he actually defends and I don't think he is that big of a presence in the box. As such yes I would definitely take 50m. Not sure arsenal is a good fit for him.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
NO what are we a charity ? , slabhead went for 80m and although he was surprisingly good in the Euro`s he is no Ben White . BW is turning into one of the rare new breed of defender who can play easily from the back and join or create the attack . We have over 7 years invested in his training , a lot of very clever people took time and effort in his progression , and personally ( if true ) i am disgusted with the way he has supposedly been openly behind this move and even looking for a new house in the area .

In short if Maguire is worth 80m White should at least be worth the same , and if it were Leicester that is what they would expect .

IMO If Ben White was as good as Harry Maquire he would have been in the England team or on the bench for the recent Euro matches.
It will be interesting to see how White is doing this time next year.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I think at this level of transfer fee amounts of money stop being easily comparable, it's just circumstances at a particular moment in time. Anyway, Maguire would have been on a much bigger contract at a bigger club competing at the top level with more experience and going to a richer and bigger club. And Maguire is now undoubtedly the best CB in the country. One more year of White and maybe we could ask for that.

Seven years invested in his training would have cost us very little, he spent three years away from the club, we only paid him a big wage for one season, he cost us nothing in transfer fees.

Openly looking for a move? On one hand I can't say that's been obvious, but on the other, why be surprised? He hasn't really any affinity to us, spent most of his career playing for other teams, including one that absolutely lauded him. He no doubt wanted to go to Leeds last year but he didn't visibly angle for a move and worked hard here producing great football. But his career has been so nomadic I can't blame him for not feeling attached to us. For the same reason I find it hard to be attached to him, he's a great loss to the team but I don't think we ever got fully acquainted.

We have to admit we made a mistake, we should have recognised his talent and brought him into the first team two seasons ago instead of sending him to Leeds. Two seasons developing with us, he might not have been so enthusiastic to move on, we'd have a 'connection'. But we don't and really can't stand in his way now.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
£50m is a great fee for him. Shame he didn't play at the Euros, we could possibly have wrung out another £5m or so. I think it's probably around the right price, and we can easily invest it into other areas. I would be very slightly concerned about who picks up his starting spot as things stand, but we could see Burn move back into the middle or maybe even a space re-opening for Duffy.

Time will tell, but I really doubt Duffy will be coming back into the team.

We have a plethora of young talented CB’s we’ve been nurturing at this club ready to step up. Who makes the cut will be interesting.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
IMO If Ben White was as good as Harry Maquire he would have been in the England team or on the bench for the recent Euro matches.
It will be interesting to see how White is doing this time next year.

Maybe i am so hard wired to disliking palace , but i genuinely believe BW being a BHAFC player plays a big part with Southgate . I cant see him being overlooked if he played for one of the big six , which would mean it is definitely personal .

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I think at this level of transfer fee amounts of money stop being easily comparable, it's just circumstances at a particular moment in time. Anyway, Maguire would have been on a much bigger contract at a bigger club competing at the top level with more experience and going to a richer and bigger club. And Maguire is now undoubtedly the best CB in the country. One more year of White and maybe we could ask for that.

Seven years invested in his training would have cost us very little, he spent three years away from the club, we only paid him a big wage for one season, he cost us nothing in transfer fees.

Openly looking for a move? On one hand I can't say that's been obvious, but on the other, why be surprised? He hasn't really any affinity to us, spent most of his career playing for other teams, including one that absolutely lauded him. He no doubt wanted to go to Leeds last year but he didn't visibly angle for a move and worked hard here producing great football. But his career has been so nomadic I can't blame him for not feeling attached to us. For the same reason I find it hard to be attached to him, he's a great loss to the team but I don't think we ever got fully acquainted.

We have to admit we made a mistake, we should have recognised his talent and brought him into the first team two seasons ago instead of sending him to Leeds. Two seasons developing with us, he might not have been so enthusiastic to move on, we'd have a 'connection'. But we don't and really can't stand in his way now.

I think your last paragraph hits the nail fully on the head , very good point imho .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I don't think we made a mistake. That year's experience in the Championship helped to develop him enough, to walk into our team, last season. Had he stayed with us, it's possible he would still be like Alzate with an occasion appearance here and there.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I think in fairness Maguire was also England’s first choice CB at WC 2018 prior to his move to Utd though. Whereas Ben didn’t get any minutes in the team at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here