Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you sing the French National Anthem?

Would you sing the French National Anthem at Wembley?

• Yes

Votes: 101 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • I can't speak French, but I would chant along to the tune

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Whilst I think it's an excellent gesture, I feel that there is a certain irony in singing songs about watering fields with impure blood as a rejoinder to an ISIS atrocity.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If I was going then yes, I'd definitely belt it out.
I only know the last couple of lines though

Ooh ahhh, ooh ahhh, ooh ahhhh Cantona
Ooh ahhh, Cantona

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I love the idea of Wembley being like a secondary school french class with the words on the screen and loads of monotone BLOKES trying to read along and not be left behind, reading the words completely incorrectly....with the occassional "Dave, How do I say that? EN-TEN-DEZZZ VOOOS DANS LEZZ CAMP-AG-KNEES? "

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
I accept there's a lot of passion there for many, and your clip shows as much. But ultimately it's a song I simply don't feel any affiliation with - it doesn't represent me, sadly. I look at people belting out GOD SAVE THE QUEEN and wonder how anyone can feel so strongly about an unelected head of state.

You do indeed "win". But should that be the point of a national anthem for you? I'd rather sing something that celebrates our culture and is inclusive to everyone. The South African anthem is an interesting example. It's a dreadful song, but it is inclusive in that it has really tried to unify a nation. Even although not a national anthem, "Ireland's Call" manages to unify an island by singing about things the people have in common - so that at least demonstrates the power of a unifying anthem.

I really would absolutely belt out Land Of Hope And Glory given the chance before an international sporting fixture.
Anthems pale into significance when it com es to things like this anyway, its all kicking off near you :lolol:

reigate.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So 83% would either sing or seemingly approve of those who do.

Whatever people say, I remain convinced that most people on this forum are sensible and mature in their outlook. The above vote upholds this.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if you choose not to for whatever personal reason you have that would be fine as well as that is the freedom we all want to protect.
I feel the same way about those that want to join in. I don't think it would be for me though.

Of course the French stand for the same things that we do, as does the rest of the west, surely that goes without saying? I don't feel the need to sing their anthem or change my profile to a French flag to show that I'm against the murder of innocent people.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I wouldn't. I would of course take part in the minutes silence and clap their national anthem, but I think singing it would be a bit too much. If I was going, I would be there to support England football team.

Jan 30, 2008
If that's your opinion you shouldn't be using the word ' OUR '
Fair play if you like the French anthem and want to sing it, but please don't disrespect ours.

Regards Mr proud to be British, Newhaven.
he's full of his own importance most of the time
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
So 83% would either sing or seemingly approve of those who do.

Whatever people say, I remain convinced that most people on this forum are sensible and mature in their outlook. The above vote upholds this.
AND THAT'S A CHILDISH STATEMENT IN IT'S SELF, there's no written rules about singing anything :facepalm:
regards
DR

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
AND THAT'S A CHILDISH STATEMENT IN IT'S SELF, there's no written rules about singing anything :facepalm:
regards
DR

The point being made is concerning the immaturity of having an issue about it. No one is commanding people to sing it.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I feel the same way about those that want to join in. I don't think it would be for me though.

Of course the French stand for the same things that we do, as does the rest of the west, surely that goes without saying? I don't feel the need to sing their anthem or change my profile to a French flag to show that I'm against the murder of innocent people.

That's the point I'm trying to make to the resident fairy. No one is compelled to join in. But showing opposition to those who do is just juvenile tribalism.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
no i haven't , you're now banding juvenile tribalism about the place???, i got no problem with anyone singing, you seem to have the issues
regards
DR

I'll accept what you say, given that you are an expert on juvenile tribalism.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Part of me hopes that this game is played in the spirit of a proper international 'derby' to show that no matter what these terrorists throw at us, life will go on in the same way. I'm all for a show of solidarity pre match followed by some crunching tackles and proper rivalry during the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here