Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you sing the French National Anthem?

Would you sing the French National Anthem at Wembley?

• Yes

Votes: 101 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • I can't speak French, but I would chant along to the tune

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If that's your opinion you shouldn't be using the word ' OUR '
Fair play if you like the French anthem and want to sing it, but please don't disrespect ours.

Regards Mr proud to be British, Newhaven.
But it is OUR national anthem I was referring to. ???

I'm as proud to be British as you are, I just happen to feel our anthem is an absolute crock of shìt, that's all.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
But it is OUR national anthem I was referring to. ???

I'm as proud to be British as you are, I just happen to feel our anthem is an absolute crock of shìt, that's all.
Judging by some of your posts , I very much doubt you are .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Judging by some of your posts , I very much doubt you are .
You're wrong, and I'll thank you for not telling me how proud I am of my country. I'm a proud Englishman, perhaps you might just accept that some of things I am proud of are not the same things that you are proud of.

And what posts are you talking about?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'd find myself going back to rugby days...
A Frenchman went to the toilet
To enjoy a...jolly good shit
He took his coat and trousers off
So that he could
Revel in it.
But when he came to the finish,
He found that someone had been there before..
OU ere la PAPIERE?
OU ere la PAPIERE?
mais non
Main non
Mon derrière cest non Bon
OU ere la PAPIERE?

Sung in the spirit of defiance which has carved our two great nations.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
You're wrong, and I'll thank you for not telling me how proud I am of my country. I'm a proud Englishman, perhaps you might just accept that some of things I am proud of are not the same things that you are proud of.

And what posts are you talking about?
lots of posts over the years , I can't recall anything specific, just the general vein of your attitude.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
lots of posts over the years , I can't recall anything specific, just the general vein of your attitude.

I'm curious. If someone accused you of being a near-permanently angry, racist bigot because of the "general vein of your attitude", would you accept that? Because believe me, there are dozens on here who I'm sure will accuse you of exactly that. (I'm not one of them, but you only have to look at some of the responses to some of your posts)

I'll reiterate - there are loads of things to be proud of in this country but our national anthem is not one of them. It is a very dull tune, and talks about God (when only one third of the population believes in God) saving the Queen (an unelected head of state, not wanted by another third of our population). How can it be a good anthem when it alienates a minimum of a third of the population?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'd find myself going back to rugby days...
A Frenchman went to the toilet
To enjoy a...jolly good shit
He took his coat and trousers off
So that he could
Revel in it.
But when he came to the finish,
He found that someone had been there before..
OU ere la PAPIERE?
OU ere la PAPIERE?
mais non
Main non
Mon derrière cest non Bon
OU ere la PAPIERE?

Sung in the spirit of defiance which has carved our two great nations.

Ha ha. Very good.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
I'm curious. If someone accused you of being a near-permanently angry, racist bigot because of the "general vein of your attitude", would you accept that? Because believe me, there are dozens on here who I'm sure will accuse you of exactly that. (I'm not one of them, but you only have to look at some of the responses to some of your posts)

I'll reiterate - there are loads of things to be proud of in this country but our national anthem is not one of them. It is a very dull tune, and talks about God (when only one third of the population believes in God) saving the Queen (an unelected head of state, not wanted by another third of our population). How can it be a good anthem when it alienates a minimum of a third of the population?
I agree with you to a certain extent , it's not though , when belted out by thousands of football fans, why didn't you reply to the post where I quoted you and posted a video of euro 96 ?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

So the majority like the anthem , like the queen and The G man. we win !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I agree with you to a certain extent , it's not though , when belted out by thousands of football fans, why didn't you reply to the post where I quoted you and posted a video of euro 96 ?
I accept there's a lot of passion there for many, and your clip shows as much. But ultimately it's a song I simply don't feel any affiliation with - it doesn't represent me, sadly. I look at people belting out GOD SAVE THE QUEEN and wonder how anyone can feel so strongly about an unelected head of state.

So the majority like the anthem , like the queen and The G man. we win !
You do indeed "win". But should that be the point of a national anthem for you? I'd rather sing something that celebrates our culture and is inclusive to everyone. The South African anthem is an interesting example. It's a dreadful song, but it is inclusive in that it has really tried to unify a nation. Even although not a national anthem, "Ireland's Call" manages to unify an island by singing about things the people have in common - so that at least demonstrates the power of a unifying anthem.

I really would absolutely belt out Land Of Hope And Glory given the chance before an international sporting fixture.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
easiest answer ever. Yes. Boom it out.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I accept there's a lot of passion there for many, and your clip shows as much. But ultimately it's a song I simply don't feel any affiliation with - it doesn't represent me, sadly. I look at people belting out GOD SAVE THE QUEEN and wonder how anyone can feel so strongly about an unelected head of state.

You do indeed "win". But should that be the point of a national anthem for you? I'd rather sing something that celebrates our culture and is inclusive to everyone. The South African anthem is an interesting example. It's a dreadful song, but it is inclusive in that it has really tried to unify a nation. Even although not a national anthem, "Ireland's Call" manages to unify an island by singing about things the people have in common - so that at least demonstrates the power of a unifying anthem.

I really would absolutely belt out Land Of Hope And Glory given the chance before an international sporting fixture.

Yes , i can see where you are coming from but that has something to do with tradition and national identity.

As someone has stated on another thread, some find Sussex by the Sea dirge and boring, but when it was mentioned on here "time for a new anthem" it was unanimously kicked into touch, because it was "ours"

Same with the national anthem, its "ours" and we identify with it. You can't work out why people belt it out , well its because thats how you feel about it and thats your choice , but those singing obviously feel thats its for them else they wouldn't sing it, would they?

I take it you've never sang the National anthem???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going back to the original question I'm rubbish at singing so I'd probably pass as I do at weddings, funerals and everything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here