Votes: 23 8.6%
  • No.

Votes: 245 91.4%

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
After doing some thinking I'd probably take a golden one if offered. Must come with a dwarf though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Really - for terminating them with extreme prejudice or turning them into tasty meals?

I'm sure I have had Woodpigeon in the past - was it all dodgy gear I was eating?

Obviously I would shoot/eat a nice Sussex Woodpigeon rather than the toeless mutants that wobble around London Streets...

There are many processes before shooting them that the RSPCB would expect you to go through first.

A mate of mine shot so many from his flat across the road to his business roof opposite that the parapet wall flooded because the gutter and downpipes were blocked by pigeon decomposition

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Really - for terminating them with extreme prejudice or turning them into tasty meals?

I'm sure I have had Woodpigeon in the past - was it all dodgy gear I was eating?

Obviously I hwould shoot/eat a nice Sussex Woodpigeon rather than the toeless mutants that wobble around London Streets...

The General Licences have been updated.

Shooting wood pigeon for the pot is, bizarrely, now illegal.

Last edited:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Yes, but only if they were muskets.

By the time you have loaded the thing, you would have calmed down and sorted the issue out, ending up going for a beer and/or joint.

Other than that, it's a BIG FAT NO!!!!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
My in-laws own a small holding in West Wales. 4 acres of land and plenty of pests such as Foxes and rats. I can see the temptation to use a rifle to look after their own animals. Personally I've no interest in sitting on the bench with a night vision sighter waiting for something to arrive but I've not had to deal with animal remains after the fox has visited

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Easy? Bollocks! - go into your local police station and enquire about how to get a gun licence, and enquire what you can have without a licence and where needing a licence kicks in - and you'll get thrown out with a nasty flea in your ear, with a clear message that they'd like to arrest you if they could think of an actual charge.

(Coincidentally, I am/was a normal citizen with a family, a mortgage and a steady job, and nothing on police files about me at all, and certainly no criminal record; I simply wanted to know if I could use a gun (and of what sort) to sort out the rats coming up from the stream at the bottom of the garden. I could have been one of the Kray twins the way I was treated).

A .22 air rifle will be enough for rats - no licence needed and legally ok to shoot providing the pellets aren’t leaving your property boundary.

The licensing process is (thankfully) pretty robust from what I’ve seen. I recently helped my elderly neighbour with his licence renewal as it’s now all online - he (legally) shoots on a couple of farms owned by pals of his. He’s had guns all his life, but still had to provide two references and a letter from his doctor confirming he was fit to hold a licence. His house was also visited to make sure his gun safe met the required standard and that the guns were as described on the application, and he also had some of his ammunition taken away as it was deemed he had more than he needed.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why would anyone need a gun ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When we lived in South Africa most of us whiteys had a gun. My father was “introduced” to the armoury that came with a house we rented outside joburg by the owner and we could have started a small war with a collection of hand guns and rifles. Scared my father to death to be in the same room as the gun cabinet which was hidden away in a walk in wardrobe room.

I had a .22 rifle that our cleaner Theo, a huge mountain of a man, a Zulu, thought me how to shoot it and risked his “ pass” by doing so. He was a very intelligent man and my father used to give him his engineering books to read, which ended up with a visit from the police , a guy who lived upstairs, who told my father what he was doing is verboten and he risks being flung in jail! We came back home 6 months later.

Fecking horrible place in the 1960’s

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A .22 air rifle will be enough for rats - no licence needed and legally ok to shoot providing the pellets aren’t leaving your property boundary.

The licensing process is (thankfully) pretty robust from what I’ve seen. I recently helped my elderly neighbour with his licence renewal as it’s now all online - he (legally) shoots on a couple of farms owned by pals of his. He’s had guns all his life, but still had to provide two references and a letter from his doctor confirming he was fit to hold a licence. His house was also visited to make sure his gun safe met the required standard and that the guns were as described on the application, and he also had some of his ammunition taken away as it was deemed he had more than he needed.

Yes.I believe a .22 would do the job - that was the kind of answer I would have hoped for/expected from my local 'friendly' constabulary, not the treatment I recieved!

Fortunately the little b**t**ds (the rats, not the police) seem to be keeping their distance...........

Last edited:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
That is OK then, I have a small vegetable patch... :thumbsup:

Just so long as your small vegetable patch is suffering ‘serious damage’ to its crops, vegetables, fruit, and growing timber that exceeds mere nuisance, minor damage or normal business risk.

And even then, only after you’ve failed to solve the problem by using Alternative lawful methods! :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve fired a few guns over the years, never in combat or in a life or death situation though. We had training in Army cadets and I’ve used countless blank firers on film sets. So as I’ve never had to use one to defend mine or anyone else’s life it’s not really a call I am comfortable to make.

Having said that, I voted “yes” to owning one. Mainly because I think I society is going to fall apart in my lifetime and I’d like the reassurance of owning a firearm to shoot people who intend me harm.
Which sounds odd now I have typed it out.

I keep an extendable police style baton hidden in my bedroom incase I ever have to front up to an intruder. That’s enough for now.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Having said that, I voted “yes” to owning one. Mainly because I think I society is going to fall apart in my lifetime and I’d like the reassurance of owning a firearm to shoot people who intend me harm.
Which sounds odd now I have typed it out.

I keep an extendable police style baton hidden in my bedroom incase I ever have to front up to an intruder. That’s enough for now.

Sadly I'm inclined to agree with you, I don't think we're anywhere near gun level yet though.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sadly I'm inclined to agree with you, I don't think we're anywhere near gun level yet though.

I agree, however as we have seen very recently, a situation can very rapidly escalate from not needing a gun to needing a gun.
I’d rather be prepared.

I am what would be termed a “month prepper”. In that I have things like emergency food rations, collapsable water containers, water purification tablets, medical supplies, first aid, woke up radio, torches and batterie, cat litter and waste bags and other stuff to last a month - 6 weeks.

It’s not something I think about constantly but I researched what one would need to survive various situations, got what I needed and stored it away. I feel reassured by it . I won’t lie, I’d be more reassured if there was a gun in that bag.

Having said all that, if they dropped the bomb, I’d want to go in the blast. No amount of emergency rations or poo-bags are going to save you from the horrors of a nuclear fallout. Which is another reason I’d like a gun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here