Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Just back from France where the rates are much lower than here. Face masks are obligatory inside all public indoor areas. Covid proof QR required to get into a restaurant. I have absolutely no problem with wearing a mask, in fact I won’t go into indoor public areas without one. I’ll also be wearing one apart from in my seat at the Amex on Sunday.

France 4,500 new cases yesterday, England 37,000. WTF, a shitfest is coming.

I still use the gel when I have been anywhere and have booked my Covid booster for Saturday. I still take this shit very seriously :shrug:

I think that there are a lot of differnt variables in all the rates, and cannot compare like with like

I believe that mainland europe is 4-6 week behind the UK interms of variant mutations - there is this delta ++ ? that is easier to transmit in the UK?

I think that the infection rates will rise in france etc next month

wierdly, the best lock down strategy would be to lockdown london - no in or out the M25 for 4 weeks it is such a melting pot - for example :

tuesday 5th Oct i went to a lunch at Lords, met my mate from warrington there, we wore masks on the trains, tubes, taxis but at the venue, no masks, shok hands with probably 15 / 20 people, in the long room for lunch - 100 plus people no masks

in the pub after, no masks, into soho for more beers, no masks, next day mate back on the train to oop north, me back the Brighton

this is such a small country in terms of easy travel & links - things can spread so easily which is probably why herd imunity is the only option ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sajid Javid press conference now announced for 5pm, surely it's the news we're hoping for and the government is going to implement Plan B and plans put in place for B+.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sajid Javid is holding a 5pm press conference today.

Morocco has announced they are stopping flights to/from the UK (as well as Germany and Holland).

Today certainly has that "here we go again..." feel to it.

I understand Sajid Javid will be flanked by these two

EYy_PebXQAASSy3.jpg Bhq7ehYCMAAsmyK.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Well if we ever do reach the point when we vaccinate the entire population of the country, and that still isn't working, then we will have little choice but to reintroduce some other measures.

I would have thought that the wearing of a facemask is one of the simplest of things to do.
Unless you have tried to explain the concept of covid and facemasks to somebody with dementia, who doesn't understand either and who flatly refuses to wear one, so has been effectively under house arrest for 18 months - I know about the lanyards but you try having a rational conversation about the impact of early onset dementia on a 60 year old with some of the covid control freaks out there.

Not everything is as simple as some people like to think.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I think that there are a lot of differnt variables in all the rates, and cannot compare like with like

I believe that mainland europe is 4-6 week behind the UK interms of variant mutations - there is this delta ++ ? that is easier to transmit in the UK?

I think that the infection rates will rise in france etc next month

wierdly, the best lock down strategy would be to lockdown london - no in or out the M25 for 4 weeks it is such a melting pot - for example :

tuesday 5th Oct i went to a lunch at Lords, met my mate from warrington there, we wore masks on the trains, tubes, taxis but at the venue, no masks, shok hands with probably 15 / 20 people, in the long room for lunch - 100 plus people no masks

in the pub after, no masks, into soho for more beers, no masks, next day mate back on the train to oop north, me back the Brighton

this is such a small country in terms of easy travel & links - things can spread so easily which is probably why herd imunity is the only option ?

Now why does that not surprise me!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The only scenario where I would be prepared to accept the mandatory wearing of masks if it was made 100% compulsory for EVERYBODY. No exceptions. Then you maximise the protection (whatever it may be, I've never seen any science on the effectiveness in reducing transmission).

If we allow the situation where there are so many "exceptions" and nobody is allowed to challenge the mask dodgers, then what would be the point. Making it 100% compulsory would then make it simple to police. If you aren't wearing a mask you don't get on the train / bus. Get to enter shops etc.

If we aren't going to do mask-wearing properly where EVERYBODY has to play, then forget it.

(I would allow exemptions for those with severe respiratory conditions but only where issued and signed off by a doctor)
Would you allow permission for anyone talking to a deaf person to pull down the mask to allow lip reading, or are the deaf simply persona non grata in this scheme?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Always wear my mask in shops, supermarkets, on trains and even walking through narrow footpaths in the open.

I was quite alarmed to see only about 20% of passengers wearing one on the tube in London last weekend. Madness and incredibly naìve. :facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think we both know that the Government rules out a lot of things only to change its mind when presented with absolutely no choice :) 1 in 60 now has the virus and it’s 1 in 50 up here in the NW. Half of over 80s haven’t bothered with their booster and hospitalizations, deaths and infections are on the rise. Small and cost free measures like mask wearing would have avoided our current situation but people are too stubborn so the cycle continues.I think football may be running at reduced capacities by Christmas.
Commonsense says we should all be encouraged or legally enforced to wear masks in certain places. However, Johnson can't re enforce mask wearing as that then becomes a tacit admission that he should not have lifted mask wearing rules in the first place!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What is needed, as a way to get the Government to make mask wearing mandatory, is a way to monetise the whole thing.
If the Conservative MPs and their donors could come up with a way to trouser multiple millions from it, we’d all be back wearing masks for the foreseeable future.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Bloody hell doogie, really sorry to hear that. He's not 'Cornish's' son is he by any chance? I remember his cancer struggles that he documented on the 'NHS leg pain' thread. Hope he's doing ok (he hasn't posted on here recently afaik) and all the very best to you and your family.

Yes he is his son
Andrew now 8 years clear
But poor little Charlie very sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I found wearing masks necessary but tricky for the first 18 months, as my glasses would steam up every time I wore one. Then a couple of months back someone told me that if you fold a glasses cloth and place it at the top of your mask near the nose wire, its blocks the air getting out and stops your glasses steaming up. It's the best advice anyone's given me in years and completely works. Wearing a mask is no annoying and I'd be happy to wear anytime.

Wait until you have a grand to invest!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have not stopped wearing mine whilst working in Tesco. I am sadly only 1 of about 5 members of staff who are though, which is very poor. Those who were wearing hidden disability lanyards in order to not wear a mask during lockdown etc have stopped wearing those too, which is pissing me right off and has been mentioned several times to the store manager. Nothing will happen though.

In answer to the question, an emphatic yes.

Why don't supermarket staff wear masks (in Sainsbury's West Hove it's been virtually no-one since March 2020)? Age doesn't seem to come into it, at the height of the pandemic, young and older staff didn't give a monkeys.

Do Tesco's as a company have no interest in their stores?

It's doable - in NHS and private hospitals, bus drivers, airports, overseas shops I've been in (Italy and Spain), literally every worker wears a mask properly over the nose and mouth.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here