Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's amazing how so many people believe a little bit of fabric will prevent the spread of a virus with particles much smaller than smoke. Clown world.

I don't think anyone in their right mind is suggesting that the wearing of a facemask will eradicate the spread on it's own!

I do believe however that the mandatory wearing of one in enclosed areas, on public transport, shops, offices, sporting events etc. etc. and alongside having regular vaccine boosters, will help significantly. Either way, what harm will wearing one possibly do?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's amazing how so many people believe a little bit of fabric will prevent the spread of a virus with particles much smaller than smoke. Clown world.

Not completely prevent, no. I'm not aware of anyone that believes that. But there's a wealth of research that strongly points to a reduction in spread when masks are used.

Knock yourself out (or just ignore if your mind is already made up)...

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abd3083
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33087517/
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02786826.2020.1862409
https://gh.bmj.com/content/5/5/e002794
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32525850/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32931726/

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No objections personally but would be pointless as many people either don't bother or don't wear them properly.

Amazes me now when they aren't even mandatory the amount of people I see in the supermarket wearing one but it pulled down over their nose and in some cases over their mouth as well.

Public transport seems to be all over the place. I've been on trains where nearly everyone has been wearing them and others with hardly anyone.

Don't recall seeing anyone wearing one at the Amex despite it being "mandatory".

Pubs and restaurants it was a stupid rule in the first place.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have not stopped wearing mine whilst working in Tesco. I am sadly only 1 of about 5 members of staff who are though, which is very poor. Those who were wearing hidden disability lanyards in order to not wear a mask during lockdown etc have stopped wearing those too, which is pissing me right off and has been mentioned several times to the store manager. Nothing will happen though.

In answer to the question, an emphatic yes.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
This thread is interesting, in that among the vast majority of responses, there seems to be an encouraging willingness to continue wearing masks voluntarily even if not compelled, and indeed to support compulsion among those who won't.

However, comparing these responses with what I've observed at the last few matches (I saw hardly any masks at the Arsenal match, and none at all among the Albion fans at Norwich), it does make me think that those who post on NSC are hopelessly unrepresentative of the average Brighton fan, and I should probably take that into account whenever I look at NSC.

As far as my own view is concerned, I support continued mask wearing (with enforcement and sanctions where appropriate), and although it's now voluntary I continue to wear a mask in settings where I'm likely to be around others who are elderly, vulnerable or concerned about their risk (eg on buses, in supermarkets etc). In settings where I'm surrounded only by selfish non-mask-wearers who clearly don't give a toss about risk to others, then I don't always wear a mask given that they don't provide much protection to the wearer but I make a judgement about how important it is to me to be there and try to avoid the worst of the crush (in a pub/cafe I'll sit outside or near a window, at matches I'll minimise the time I spend on the concourse etc). And I test regularly (lat flow 2x a week, and PCR on occasions when I've been pinged or had known contact with a Covid case).

D

Deleted member 22389

Let's hope we don't back to square one. The country cannot afford another lockdown.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Why do you think medical staff and vets wear masks when treating patients and animals? It prevents the transmission of bacteria and viruses which we all harbour in our mouths and noses. As you exhale, you push those particles into the air.
You may well have immunity to those particular particles, but the person near you, may not.

It isn't for your protection, but for the protection of others.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This thread is interesting, in that among the vast majority of responses, there seems to be an encouraging willingness to continue wearing masks voluntarily even if not compelled, and indeed to support compulsion among those who won't.

However, comparing these responses with what I've observed at the last few matches (I saw hardly any masks at the Arsenal match, and none at all among the Albion fans at Norwich), it does make me think that those who post on NSC are hopelessly unrepresentative of the average Brighton fan, and I should probably take that into account whenever I look at NSC.

As far as my own view is concerned, I support continued mask wearing (with enforcement and sanctions where appropriate), and although it's now voluntary I continue to wear a mask in settings where I'm likely to be around others who are elderly, vulnerable or concerned about their risk (eg on buses, in supermarkets etc). In settings where I'm surrounded only by selfish non-mask-wearers who clearly don't give a toss about risk to others, then I don't always wear a mask given that they don't provide much protection to the wearer but I make a judgement about how important it is to me to be there and try to avoid the worst of the crush (in a pub/cafe I'll sit outside or near a window, at matches I'll minimise the time I spend on the concourse etc). And I test regularly (lat flow 2x a week, and PCR on occasions when I've been pinged or had known contact with a Covid case).

I have only been to two matches at the Amex so far, this season. I went to the Watford match and felt distinctly uncomfortable with the lack of mask wearing in the North Stand. I felt as though I was running the gauntlet just to go to the toilet.
The other match was the League cup game against Swansea because there were so few fans and we were a lot more spaced out.

If I lose my season ticket for not attending enough matches, then I'll have to accept that. I'd rather lose my season ticket, than my life.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes. Masks are a pain, as a glasses wearer, I never found the elusive solution to fogging up. Hence, I have pretty much stopped wearing masks now.

However, looking at the numbers now, I am amazed the rule didn't come back into place a month ago.
[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] suggested tucking the mask under the bottom of the lense during the first wave, and this works for me :thumbsup:

So, as expected, freedom day has triggered the persistence of Covid during summer (whereas in 2020 it practically vanished) meaning a higher baseline for the inevitable autumn/winter splurge. Who knew?

If I were younger I'd be more gung ho, but I'd still wear a mask. Ironically the only time I haven't is at the Amex, but I have assumed everyone is double jabbed. I think that maybe I'll be a bit more careful on Saturday.....

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No problem. Me and the missus have been thrice jabbed but still wear masks into shops and restaurants until seated.
Safe for us, safe for others. What’s worse, wearing a mask or taking a chance of dying from Covid?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sajid Javid is holding a 5pm press conference today.

Morocco has announced they are stopping flights to/from the UK (as well as Germany and Holland).

Today certainly has that "here we go again..." feel to it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] suggested tucking the mask under the bottom of the lense during the first wave, and this works for me :thumbsup:

So, as expected, freedom day has triggered the persistence of Covid during summer (whereas in 2020 it practically vanished) meaning a higher baseline for the inevitable autumn/winter splurge. Who knew?

If I were younger I'd be more gung ho, but I'd still wear a mask. Ironically the only time I haven't is at the Amex, but I have assumed everyone is double jabbed. I think that maybe I'll be a bit more careful on Saturday.....

Heard about these nose clips on the radio. Some school lad invented them and they are paying for his further education. They are pretty good for those with specs.

https://www.mistyclip.co.uk/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have not stopped wearing mine whilst working in Tesco. I am sadly only 1 of about 5 members of staff who are though, which is very poor. Those who were wearing hidden disability lanyards in order to not wear a mask during lockdown etc have stopped wearing those too, which is pissing me right off and has been mentioned several times to the store manager. Nothing will happen though.

In answer to the question, an emphatic yes.

What angers me is that because there is no law in place, you can have your safety put at risk by others. It's like making not smoking at the football 'voluntary'. How many smokers would it take for he whole place to become a stink hut?

I am succeeding in avoiding contact teaching but I have been put under pressure by my head of department.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't see the point of vaccinating everybody, if you then reintroduce a load of other restrictions which I thought the vaccination was intended to render redundant.

People need to get real about the relative risks and stop having knee jerk panic reactions to everything.

Well if we ever do reach the point when we vaccinate the entire population of the country, and that still isn't working, then we will have little choice but to reintroduce some other measures.

I would have thought that the wearing of a facemask is one of the simplest of things to do.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I found wearing masks necessary but tricky for the first 18 months, as my glasses would steam up every time I wore one. Then a couple of months back someone told me that if you fold a glasses cloth and place it at the top of your mask near the nose wire, its blocks the air getting out and stops your glasses steaming up. It's the best advice anyone's given me in years and completely works. Wearing a mask is no annoying and I'd be happy to wear anytime.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

All of this. Very well put sir. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here