Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We are still way under the modelled best case.

I would have brought in a vaccine passport for everything btw, public transport included - with the only way around it being medical or a PCR test once a week at their cost.

we dont like to bring in universal controls that require some policing and enforcement. we do like small marginal controls that make us feel like we're helping.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The world is further behind than we are. What we are experiencing now is normality. 100-200 deaths per day from covid for the rest of time will be low/normal, similar to flu.

From a 30 second search - silimar to flu/pneumonia combined, but way above flu alone (I genuinely don't know if that's a meaningful distinction, or just semantics).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
we dont like to bring in universal controls that require some policing and enforcement. we do like small marginal controls that make us feel like we're helping.

Leave it to the great British public to do what's best . . . and we're all doomed. Dooooomed I tell ye. :rant:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The world is further behind than we are. What we are experiencing now is normality. 100-200 deaths per day from covid for the rest of time will be low/normal, similar to flu.

That's just guesswork. How can anyone say if 100 to 200 deaths per day is going to be normality? I certainly hope it isn't!

Things change over time, vaccines can get better, viruses can mutate down as well as up, who knows what the future holds? I prefer to view whats to come with optimism though.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
From a 30 second search - silimar to flu/pneumonia combined, but way above flu alone (I genuinely don't know if that's a meaningful distinction, or just semantics).

Seeing as every winter the NHS experiences a large call on its resources from flu and pneumonia, I would say that adding another (more transmissible) virus like Covid into the mix is pretty serious. It is very far from ‘normal’ to double the numbers admitted from viruses, as claimed by that poster.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think the problem is people who (for whatever reason) are opposed to masks often use the line "well they don't stop the spread on their own". Yes, of course they don't, there are multiple options needed, but the point is masks are one of the few we can do ourselves. We can't speed up the booster roll-out, we can't improve the ventilation in office / schools buildings on our own. but we can pop a mask on when we go into Sainsburys, or jump on a train, or walk into the Amex.

It's like road safety. Seat belts do not prevent people dying in traffic accidents alone, there are also the improvements in car safety designs, better lighting and road surfaces, speed limits etc. But seat belts are the only one of those we can do for ourselves, and nobody these days questions whether we should wear seat belts or not.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My grandson is seriously ill in intensive care aged 8 with a side effect of covid (Pims st) in Truro Cornwall . So yes has reinforced my opinion of wearing masks again
Worried sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody hell doogie, really sorry to hear that. He's not 'Cornish's' son is he by any chance? I remember his cancer struggles that he documented on the 'NHS leg pain' thread. Hope he's doing ok (he hasn't posted on here recently afaik) and all the very best to you and your family.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sounds like a load of shit, further behind on what? Being sensible? The rest of Europe has caught up with us on vaccinations as far as I can tell and continue to be wary of a surge. ...

the thesis is that, if vaccine efficacy wanes, and as we got vaccines through at risk and older population earlier, then other countries are going to see their cases rise.

im not sure, since cases are not counted uniformly between countries and we see the cases so heavily increasing in the unvaccinated group currently.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My neighbours (one half of whom is French) just took two holidays in France. They said the French police enforce their use vigorously. Shopkeepers and others running indoor venues were quick to call the police where stubborn locals refused to wear a mask, who were then unceremoniously booted out and treated in a robust way.

It’s funny thing in the UK - the police never got involved, pussy-footing supermarkets such as Sainsbury’s repeatedly put out on the PA “please respect customers not wearing masks”, supermarket workers rarely wore them, ‘hard men’ and their partners looking for a fight never wore them and what’s with the visors (how do they stop airborne microbes spreading?).

My Dad lives in France and said the same.

It seems the policy on masks and vaccines is also helping Macron in the lead up to the Presidential Election, despite some protests and the French being traditionally vaccine sceptic (though part of that is the horrendous red tape that surrounded them).

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/...ess-in-overcoming-france-s-vaccine-scepticism

With a twin Far Right threat against him, this is good news for the world in general and a reminder that those pushing anti-mask, anti-vaccines are aligned with some of the world's most unpleasant politicians.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The only scenario where I would be prepared to accept the mandatory wearing of masks if it was made 100% compulsory for EVERYBODY. No exceptions. Then you maximise the protection (whatever it may be, I've never seen any science on the effectiveness in reducing transmission).

If we allow the situation where there are so many "exceptions" and nobody is allowed to challenge the mask dodgers, then what would be the point. Making it 100% compulsory would then make it simple to police. If you aren't wearing a mask you don't get on the train / bus. Get to enter shops etc.

If we aren't going to do mask-wearing properly where EVERYBODY has to play, then forget it.

(I would allow exemptions for those with severe respiratory conditions but only where issued and signed off by a doctor)

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
It's amazing how so many people believe a little bit of fabric will prevent the spread of a virus with particles much smaller than smoke. Clown world.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good grief - we've gone from mask shaming - to vax shaming - and now back to mask shaming. It's a big NO from me.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes I would. I still put a mask on in shops, but lots of people not bothering now

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The only scenario where I would be prepared to accept the mandatory wearing of masks if it was made 100% compulsory for EVERYBODY. No exceptions. Then you maximise the protection (whatever it may be, I've never seen any science on the effectiveness in reducing transmission).

If we allow the situation where there are so many "exceptions" and nobody is allowed to challenge the mask dodgers, then what would be the point. Making it 100% compulsory would then make it simple to police. If you aren't wearing a mask you don't get on the train / bus. Get to enter shops etc.

If we aren't going to do mask-wearing properly where EVERYBODY has to play, then forget it.

(I would allow exemptions for those with severe respiratory conditions but only where issued and signed off by a doctor)

I see it as protecting myself and my loved ones, so as long as I’m wearing one I don’t care that much about others who are happy taking that risk by not bothering. At the height of the pandemic I rail commuted to work and saw many who flaunted it, BTP lacking the resources to police it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't see the point of vaccinating everybody, if you then reintroduce a load of other restrictions which I thought the vaccination was intended to render redundant.

People need to get real about the relative risks and stop having knee jerk panic reactions to everything.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I went on a cruise around the UK in a month ago, it was requested that masks were worn inside except when sitting at a table eating or drinking and at one bar/venue you had to replace your mask while sitting down in between drinking a drink. Outside on the deck was fine.

Everybody wore masks, crew and passengers and I did not see one person inside the ship who wasn't wearing a mask. Nobody moaned, everybody accepted it and did it.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It's amazing how so many people believe a little bit of fabric will prevent the spread of a virus with particles much smaller than smoke. Clown world.

yeah, all those idiots, with their peer-reviewed studies and so-called 'evidence'

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

There's plenty more out there, but I guess you can use google and understand how to differentiate real science from pseudo science right?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I have not stopped wearing a mask to help myself and others and will continue to do so whether compulsory or not .
When we first returned to the amex there was an almost total wearing of masks on the P & R buses , however i have noticed that with each subsequent game that has slipped .It would appear that some albion fans have now assumed that we as a group must be somehow immune from infection !
With the temperatures falling as winter approaches how long will it be before people start moaning about the cold and demanding the windows be closed . I would then have to consider again how best to attend matches having already ruled out trains . Surely the club could demand that people wear masks for the short P & R journey and get stewards and fellow fans to enforce it , or maybe i am being too draconian ? what say you ?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think the problem is people who (for whatever reason) are opposed to masks often use the line "well they don't stop the spread on their own". Yes, of course they don't, there are multiple options needed, but the point is masks are one of the few we can do ourselves. We can't speed up the booster roll-out, we can't improve the ventilation in office / schools buildings on our own. but we can pop a mask on when we go into Sainsburys, or jump on a train, or walk into the Amex.

It's like road safety. Seat belts do not prevent people dying in traffic accidents alone, there are also the improvements in car safety designs, better lighting and road surfaces, speed limits etc. But seat belts are the only one of those we can do for ourselves, and nobody these days questions whether we should wear seat belts or not.

Of course and it's what [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has been saying too. Those who argue against it because there's no empirical evidence to say they work are simply selfish and inconsiderate of others (which they will undoubtedly deny but I can't think of any other reason).

Quite clearly they work to some degree, but with so many other factors muddying the waters looking for statistical evidence in population groups as many as a whole country is impossible.

I'm very glad to see most here are of the same view

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here