Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

would glen murray have made a difference?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
It was always a bit awkward having Barnes and Murray in the same squad as often only one of them would make the first team. Murray was blocking the development of Barnes. The idea would be to get a younger faster player to compliment one of them. Barnes being the younger more complete player (if less presence as an actual goalscorer) was a fraction ahead as the best to keep. I still think we ought to have kept him until and better "magical" striker came along.

Neither Macca or Barnes seem to have guile or the clinical ability or awareness I like to see in our main striker, but both make up for it with hard work. And I think it was hard work that gave us the superiority over Leeds.

When did we get a last headed goal? Thinking of Macca against Sunderland, Barnes against Wrexham, Vincelot against someone, but my memory is not so good now.

Barnes is not fit enough to clean Murrays boots.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Odd that Murray has never passed public comment. Maybe he can't, maybe he doesn't want to piss either BHA or Palace off, or maybe he just doesn't give a flying fukk.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Odd that Murray has never passed public comment. Maybe he can't, maybe he doesn't want to piss either BHA or Palace off, or maybe he just doesn't give a flying fukk.

Not public, but private. As i stated before, he did not want to leave Brighton, he was offered a couple of grand a week extra for promotion from league one, less than half of CMS supposed weekly wage, Palace offered another six grand above. Murray is over 30, he still lives in the area. He did not really want to leave.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
:facepalm: looks like this decision will haunt poyet.
Watching Poyet's side has largely been a pleasure most of the time. But in the end, if we don't score it is the sort of style that leads to frustration and apathy in the stands. And like many good managers who like their teams to pass the ball about, I think he has a bit of a blind spot with strikers. Murray scored 26 in our promotion season, and he's let him go for nothing and replaced him with a £3m league one striker. And now Murray has scored more in 4 days than CMS has managed all season. I know who I'd rather have leading the line. :nono:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why are we still banging on about Glenn Murray? I don't understand it, he last played for us two season ago.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
How ? We offered a contract, he said no because he wanted more money so he left.

Most goals are penalties remember....

His all round play not just his goal has been fantastic hes a tough lad who holds the ball up we'll bringing the likes of zaha into the game

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Hoorah, lets replace him with someone that cost a few million, is on more money and can't hit a barn door.

Yes, thats why CMS is our top scorer so far this season and currently joint 4th highest scorer in the league :facepalm:

Why are we still banging on about Glenn Murray? I don't understand it, he last played for us two season ago.

Some people are stuck in the past of course.

Dec 29, 2011
How ? We offered a contract, he said no because he wanted more money so he left.

Most goals are penalties remember....

We offered a poor contract, he wanted a little more but Gus didn't rate him (or like him) so he left. We then got in a striker for 2.5M, on MORE money who is less effective than the cheaper player we let go. It's one major f*** up.

Also I'd take any goals right now, even penalties, we've missed 2 of our last 3 pens anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here