Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would failing to qualify for a European competition this season be a disaster?

Would it be a disaster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is a strange take, given that Verbruggen has also conceded 'at least once' in literally EVERY Premier League appearance he's made. In fact (whilst I personally agree that Bart is the better keeper) he has actually 'given away' more goals through clangers than Steele has - getting caught on the ball v Bournemouth / passing directly to the Liverpool player.
You can't argue with confirmation bias.

I am still livid that every time we have failed to win this season, RDZ has been in charge. Fact.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Absolutely not. Im not sure I expect us too. The squad is inevitably stretched. I said beginning of the season I’d be happy if we made it out the Europa group & finished top 10.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Minor setback if one year. I think we have the built in excuse of playing in Europe and so many games. If we had multiple years of not winning anything AND not even making the micky mouse cup below ours whilst having a lighter schedule, it would be a bigger step back.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I will always remember, when P*rtsm**th went into administration for the second time, some knuckle-dragging fan of theirs asking on a forum how it was going to help get them back into Europe, "where we need to be."

That must never, ever, EVER be us. Europe is a wonderful extra, over and above the amazing fact of being in the top half of the Premier League.

As it happens, I don't believe it is beyond us to get back in this season. If Enciso, Fati, Estupinan and Welbeck are all fit by some time in January, then we could go on a bit of a run. But if it doesn't happen, then so be it. If it does, I'd like it to be because we've won something.

PS: #twats

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Someone is going to have to explain how it can be seen as a setback, let alone a major one or a disaster. Setback to what exactly?

Do people seriously think that one season finishing 6th means that that is our natural place? Even Tony Bloom stated that the long term target is to be a top ten team. He didn't say top 4 or 6...

I am also in the let's win a trophy camp. One of the upsides of which would of course be another season in Europe. If given the option though I'd bite your hand off for finishing 10th but winning the F.A cup or Europa league over finishing in 6th again. These are the golden days and we need to capitalise on them by getting some silverware.
I'm in the other camp. Someone has to explain why NOT qualifying for Europe is 'no big deal'. It's like cancelling Christmas and then telling a child that it's 'no big deal'. I think it's a bit of a deal, actually. Maybe not 'big', but yes, a bit of a deal.

However, I'm going to let it ride as the other side of the coin is that finally, finally after all these years there is a majority on NSC who feel that our league position is 'no big deal' (leaving aside relegation obvs). 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th - doesn't matter. And there's a few more saying "Let's win a trophy before the wheel turns." So come January when I say the game against Stoke is really important I don't expect to get shouted down by people saying "No, no, no, the Cup doesn't matter, three points in the next league game is way more vital." And yes, I'd take not qualifying for Europe (via the League) in exchange for winning the FA Cup.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Europe this season is shiny and new and exciting. We're still on that European Tour, and it will be amazing to see how far it takes us. But it should never come with a sense of entitlement whereby there's a great wailing and gnashing of teeth if we don't manage to do the same again next time around. The side is ravaged by injuries, many of them fairly longterm, and a realistic expectation would be some kind of respectable mid-table finish. Then we go again

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How many league positions go to Europe season? I read somewhere that the top 5 go into the Champions League now. Does this mean one extra position gets a trip on the continent?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm in the other camp. Someone has to explain why NOT qualifying for Europe is 'no big deal'. It's like cancelling Christmas and then telling a child that it's 'no big deal'. I think it's a bit of a deal, actually. Maybe not 'big', but yes, a bit of a deal.

However, I'm going to let it ride as the other side of the coin is that finally, finally after all these years there is a majority on NSC who feel that our league position is 'no big deal' (leaving aside relegation obvs). 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th - doesn't matter. And there's a few more saying "Let's win a trophy before the wheel turns." So come January when I say the game against Stoke is really important I don't expect to get shouted down by people saying "No, no, no, the Cup doesn't matter, three points in the next league game is way more vital." And yes, I'd take not qualifying for Europe (via the League) in exchange for winning the FA Cup.
I'd say qualifying for Europe is a big deal. Huge, in fact. However it is a tremendous reward rather than an expectation. It's more like rewarding a child for outstanding exam results or behaviour or some other achievement rather than an annual event like Christmas.

The thread also framed the question in terms of a set back. Set back to what exactly? The club is still going to exist if we don't make Europe for the second time in 120+ years, the clubs plans and strategy will continue, players will still sign for us(lets not forget that all the players that got us into Europe in the first place signed for us when we had never qualified for it). I just really struggle to see how it's a set back. We'd all LOVE to qualify again but if we don't it's not a set back for the club.

Unfortunately there will still be people saying the cup doesn't matter, just hopefully less than most years. I'm with you, the cup is important and should unite all those that want silver ware and those that want Europe again.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How many league positions go to Europe season? I read somewhere that the top 5 go into the Champions League now. Does this mean one extra position gets a trip on the continent?
It depends on the cup winners. If the Premier League get the extra place in the Champions League then 6th get Europa League. 7th and 8th will get places if the cups are won by sides finishing in the top 6.

Basically take what happened last season but filter everything down one league place.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I wonder what people would choose between winning a trophy this year but being in league one in five years or having five years of mid to lower Prem football but no hint of silverware...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If we get into Europe occasionally over the next few seasons that will be fantastic….establishment as a true top ten club with seasons where we do better than that including qualifying for Europe and/or having deep cup runs would be brilliant for a club of our size and finances.
I’d like this. Keeps Europe special. I like the idea we get completely giddy from these trips; it wouldn’t be the same if we did this every season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d like this. Keeps Europe special. I like the idea we get completely giddy from these trips; it wouldn’t be the same if we did this every season.
Thinking about this more, we’d get used to it and learn from our mistakes. No one would be falling in canals for example. And no one would get completely stoned on the Wednesday, take a taxi to his ‘dam hotel and dial 999 as he thinks he’s being kidnapped. That’s not fun.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I wonder what people would choose between winning a trophy this year but being in league one in five years or having five years of mid to lower Prem football but no hint of silverware...
The Pompey option or the Palace option? Hmm. Neither sound appealing.

I'm loving the Brighton option where we stay true to who we are, bring through a load of young players, play some terrific football, somehow get in Europe, give it a proper go despite a crippling injury list and over the next few years I guess we'll make the odd tilt at getting back to Europe and winning a trophy. All logic suggests the big boys will take back their rightful place and we'll continue to lose our gems and we'll slip back top being a Fulham / Southampton / Forest sort of level.

But under this leadership we've confounded expectations before and I'm not ruling out us improving our league position and points tally once more this season. I'm also not ruling out us going balls deep in the FA Cup or Europa That should be our target. Let's see where it takes us.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There is always a chance we have no injuries in the second half of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here