Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would failing to qualify for a European competition this season be a disaster?

Would it be a disaster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Someone is going to have to explain how it can be seen as a setback, let alone a major one or a disaster. Setback to what exactly?

Do people seriously think that one season finishing 6th means that that is our natural place? Even Tony Bloom stated that the long term target is to be a top ten team. He didn't say top 4 or 6...

I am also in the let's win a trophy camp. One of the upsides of which would of course be another season in Europe. If given the option though I'd bite your hand off for finishing 10th but winning the F.A cup or Europa league over finishing in 6th again. These are the golden days and we need to capitalise on them by getting some silverware.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well, if its a disaster then we've had 121 previous disastrous seasons, i can live with one more.

To qualify two or three years in a row for Europe would be graduation and would be really establishing ourselves. But clubs ike us hardly ever do that it's a season here, a season there if you're lucky.

So let's enjoy this season and this european run for what it is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As long as we finish above Palace I'm fine with whatever.
Agggh! I hate that attitude! If they finished bottom of Division Three would you really be happy to finish second from bottom? It's what keeps the Scots going: "As long as we beat England / As long as England don't win." This is our Golden Era, we have more realistic ambitions than simply finishing above Palace.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
6th last season was a huge out-performance. Can’t see us being that high this season particularly with Europe to contend with. Progression is rarely linear - we’re not yet established as a top-half team, so anything thereabouts is good for now, and any decent cup run a bonus for me (for RdeZ, not so much :lol: )

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Absolutely not. I went for minor setback, but to be honest with City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd, Newcastle, Spurs and Villa ahead of us and Chelsea one would assume will finally snap out of being sh*t qualifying for Europe remains the mammoth task it always has been.

I am living in this current European moment which has been amazing thus far. If we can top our group with victory over Marseilles that will be an outstanding achievement worthy of much celebration.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
considering the poor acquisition in the window (baring Pedro and Bart) I would say that finishing in the top 10 this year would be more impressive than what we achieved last year with a fully fit squad and monster midfield.

If we had somehow managed to keep the likes of Alexis, moises and added in a few areas like full back then it scares me what we could have achieved.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Nothing strange about it. Steele isn't able to be a factor in saving shots which aren't straight forward. If Bart had a run in the team and the defence got comfortable with his goalkeeping, I have no doubt at all that we'd have a far better defensive record. I agree Bart has made a couple of more noticeable errors but he's also made saves that Steele can't.

Can you honestly say that you feel comfortable with Steele's goalkeeping? Obviously he's excellent on the ball and adds an extra dimension to the team, but I think his overall net negative to the team.
Given that the whole defence was a mess at the start of the game it's tough just to blame Steele and unless both the commentator and I are wrong he made at least two excellent saves. Having said that, I am coming to the view that Bart is no 1 and perhaps rotating them doesn't help solidify the defence.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Have always said 9th and a decent European showing would do me. Could already argue we’ve had that decent showing.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
This season has already been a massive success as far as I’m concerned. I’m in my 54th year of supporting BHAFC, and I’ve been immensely fortunate to go to Marseille, Ajax and AEK - each of them wonderful experiences. I think emotionally, seeing that team drag itself back from two goals down in the cauldron of the Velodrome was just about my top BHA experience ever (excepting Hereford, obvs - but that was all about relief, not joy).

Our European journey has been the stuff of dreams…and it’s guaranteed to continue for at least a little longer.

Even if we qualified again next season it would highly likely be the Conference League, and we’d inevitably be off to the Faroe Islands or (worse) somewhere like Aberdeen.

And the other very enjoyable factor this season is watching the likes of Hinshelwood, Buananotte, Adingra, van Hecke, Pedro, Verbruggen, etc emerge from virtually nowhere. OK, Pedro cost a decent wedge, but he was a young Championship player….no reason to think he’d star in the EPL.

So - finishing somewhere like 10th this season is fine by me!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Spot on! Even teams like Stoke City, Norwich and Wigan won major trophies. Before I die I want us to win something. ("60 years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming!")

And with the greatest respect to our esteemed colleague @Sheebo, things like the Division Three championship don't count :)
Good memory 🤣 no, they’re not major trophies… but they are trophies and success and winning for a club of our stature, especially back then. It’s when plastics say ‘you’ve never won anything’ that it grinds my gears and twists my balls 😉

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I went for option 2. It's not a disaster but now where here, we need to stay. Keeping in Europe makes us more attractive to players and also will help keep RDZ here for at least another season. Miss out on Europe then irrespective of any agreed contract the likelihood of him going in the summer increases.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Part of me thinks not qualifying next season could do us good, weirdly. We’d have had our first taste and know what it involves, giving us a season to regroup and get back into it without the extra distraction.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I went for option 2. It's not a disaster but now where here, we need to stay.
No, we don't. We're nowhere near a big enough club to have a model where we need to be in Europe every year - its not realistic at all. Look at any other club similar size to us: none of them have ever had sustained European campaigns year in year out.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, we don't. We're nowhere near a big enough club to have a model where we need to be in Europe every year - its not realistic at all. Look at any other club similar size to us: none of them have ever had sustained European campaigns year in year out.
Your opinion differs from mine.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I'm surprised the majority have chosen "it would be a minor setback". I certainly don't think the same.

It would be nice to experience Europe again, but I wouldn't consider not qualifying "a disaster" nor would I say it is a setback.

Qualifying last season was a massive achievement (maybe an over-achievement) and I would think the same if we repeated that - as we are involved in more competitions this season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't agree with that. He's hot property and regardless of where we finish, unless we go on some sort of unfathomable dismal run, the top teams are going to be after him.

I think the best chance of keeping is TO qualify for European comps. Failing to do so might be enough for him to leave. He's obviously very ambitious.
Tommyrot.

And a weird thread.

A club that has spent 120 years without troubling European football is not going to fall apart if it doesn't qualify this season. FFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here