Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would failing to qualify for a European competition this season be a disaster?

Would it be a disaster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Not at all. It may even be a good thing if we are able to get RDZ to sign a new deal soon.

The club are clearly on the up, and a deep run in Europe and maybe the FA Cup again (though less bothered about this) would be wonderful even if it meant finishing 8th-10th. As long as we remain "in vogue" under RDZ with a playing style that excites and interests pretty much everyone within the game we'll be able to strengthen next season.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Absolutely not. Some players and / or coaching staff may choose to leave; identified targets may decide not to join. The only thing that would be a disaster would be if the Club have constructed a business model that is dependent on European football every season. Which is why they won't have.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The potential positive is keeping hold of De Zerbi for longer. The better we do, the quicker he is off IMO.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
The potential positive is keeping hold of De Zerbi for longer. The better we do, the quicker he is off IMO.

Can't agree with that. He's hot property and regardless of where we finish, unless we go on some sort of unfathomable dismal run, the top teams are going to be after him.

I think the best chance of keeping is TO qualify for European comps. Failing to do so might be enough for him to leave. He's obviously very ambitious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The European Tour (and it still has legs!) has been an absolute joy. Having supported the Albion for 50+ years, all that is left for me now is to WIN something. :thumbsup:
Ditto.

The trips to Marseille & Athens, drinking beers in the sun on a mini holiday surrounded by your tribe, with a competitive Albion game in a very different environment.

I don't think I've enjoyed any away experiences as much those 2. Its been a privilege, and its addictive!

Realistically though, we can't finish in euro places every year. Maybe our best chance this year is to go all in to win the EL?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Absolutely not.

we've managed to get to Europe a couple of years ahead of schedule I would say.
Jumping from established top 10 to established European competitors, is a big stretch, needing a much deeper squad.

I'm sure Tony and barbs are working on that, but they can't guarantee to be there already.
The most pressing issue is ensuring they have the right targets to replace De Zerbi.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As long as we're genuinely competing for a place in Europe, I think we'll be attractive to current and prospective players.

It's only if we slip to a Palace like also ran, staying up by edging 6 points against Burnley and Bournemouth every year and generally stinking the place out that our attractiveness might dim

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Can't agree with that. He's hot property and regardless of where we finish, unless we go on some sort of unfathomable dismal run, the top teams are going to be after him.

I think the best chance of keeping is TO qualify for European comps. Failing to do so might be enough for him to leave. He's obviously very ambitious.
Whilst I agree with this mostly, I have also convinced myself that he won't be jumping ship from this project any time soon. The stories and reaction throughout the European tour are just fantastic and it seems like he's having a genuinely great time at the moment and believes that he can take us to another level.

I have it in my head that he is the obvious successor at City and the lingering story that Pep will be off at the end of his current contract (2025). Obviously some murmurings of Pep continuing for longer but nothing concrete. 2 more seasons regardless I reckon. Back him to the hilt Tony!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
10th-12th wouldn’t be a disaster at all IMHO with the injuries and Europe to contend with. The squad is incredibly young still and will get better next year. At the moment I don’t see to many players that will likely be poached this summer. Be great to get through another couple rounds in Europe would love a European quarter or semi final at the Amex. Most importantly it’s just good football to watch is entertaining. If this squad was kept together and had no Europe next year I think it could be another incredible season.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
It's neither a set back and it does matter at the same time. It was always going to be hugely difficult this season and now we have a crazy amount of injuries to deal with.

If we had kept Mac and Caicedo, maybe one of them then it could be considered a small set back if we didn't qualify. As it happens, we lost possibly our two best players and Colwill back to Chelsea.

As long as we don't get drawn into a relegation battle (which we won't), and we're competitive in Europe (which we have been), then the season is a huge success. We are much weaker than last season imo.

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The PL this year is very open. Don’t listen to the big club hype. Unfortunately, we are suffering from a chronically disrupted defensive unit. We are STILL one of the very best footballing sides in the PL and will put any side under pressure. But we’re very fragile, especially without the skipper.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would take if it meant getting to minimum semis of Europa.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The PL this year is very open. Don’t listen to the big club hype. Unfortunately, we are suffering from a chronically disrupted defensive unit. We are STILL one of the very best footballing sides in the PL and will put any side under pressure. But we’re very fragile, especially without the skipper.
We are fragile without our captain, but in saying that, Igor is getting better every game and will be excellent for us.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
At the start of the season, I might have been more tempted to say Yes because with everyone fit and keeping RDZ for a full season - you'd think we'd be in the Aston Villa position in the table. But considering the absolute carnage that is happening to our squad game by game, top 10 would be above par I think.

I am frustrated at the changing of the goalkeeper though, that's a self-inflicted wound. There's no need to keep playing Steele and accepting we're going to concede at least once in every game he plays. That's my only real frustration at the moment, there's nothing much we can do about the other rotation. We're having to rely on Hinshelwood and Bounnanote a lot more than anyone would want because of the injuries and suspensions. I think both are really talented young players and we'll benefit in the longer term from their development at this stage - but it's still a shame for them that they're needed to play such important roles at the moment.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To some people, probably. But, in the grand scheme of things, of course it wouldn't be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here