Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would De Zerbi take the Chelsea job if offered.....

Would De Zerbi take the Chelsea job if offered.....

• Total voters

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
We are third with half a squad fresh in to assimilate, most look insanely good. Why would he leave? A year in the Prem and your going to be minted anyway, I know money matters but they are not saving for old age and don't have injury worries.
£2.5 - £3 M a year is not minted by the wealthy PL standards when you can sign a 4 year contract at a club like Chelsea & be on £6m a year and get a pay off of £10m even when you get sacked within 6 months !

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I can't see him going to Chelsea. I think he is more motivated by footballing ROMANCE than money.

I think he'd be very high up on Man City's shortlist once Guardiola goes.

However, I do get the impression that whilst he loves life at Brighton, he's not overly sold on living in the UK and his family are all back in Italy.

Wonder if the Italian national team would come calling at some point
Can't see him taking an International job. He wouldn't get enough time with the players to make them play "DeZerbi-ball".

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He would go if they wanted him.
We all know it is a rotten club and he’d probably fail but he has self belief and wouldn’t see it like that .

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Hasn't he got a clause in his contract which only allows him to leave during the close season if he feels the urge to go elsewhere

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
£2.5 - £3 M a year is not minted by the wealthy PL standards when you can sign a 4 year contract at a club like Chelsea & be on £6m a year and get a pay off of £10m even when you get sacked within 6 months !
I guess the only way to know if the money is worth it, would be to ask Potter. If he was truly honest and he could go back in time, would the money make up for leaving a good, very well paid job at Brighton to go to the basket case that is currently Chelsea football club. He has been there and done it.

Because RDZ as much as we love him, a we bloody do, has he won the European Trophy and a major european league title? Because that it what Chelsea plastics want, not another manager that's done well with Brighton

We should worry if we win the Europa League or not worry and just enjoy it.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
People have it seriously wrong if they think he'd go to Chelsea. Any other big six club sure. But CHELSEA?!!! They are utter poison to everyone who touches them at the moment. And their transfer strategy probably means he'd be mosly stuck with the players they have know. If he keeps doing what he's been doing with us for the rest of this season then he'll have his pick of any club job that's available. And I mean City, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus maybe even Real Madrid. I think some of our fans massively underestimate how good he is, how great he will be and how high his status is getting. Why on earth would he risk his career by going to a basket case, relegation fodder, minnow club like Chelsea?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I have to agree that the weather is against him staying at a club further north than us. He'll stay with us all of this season and then move to one of the big clubs in Italy, if not then Real or Barca in Spain. Just cannot see him going elsewhere. German football loves attacking and goals, goals, goals and would suit him but De Zerbi in lederhosen, I cannot visualise this.
edit - Brighton is a perfect storm for him at this moment, just cannot seeing him fitting so well at any other Premier League club - so he'll go to Spain or Italy, even though many of those clubs are nutcases.

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No, he is a smart guy and will look at 3 successive decent managers who have worked under that regime and whose stock is now much lower since given the push.

I think he will have the choice of the top jobs in Europe so a mid table car crash who probably will miss out on Europe again will not be high on his list of ambitions.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
People have it seriously wrong if they think he'd go to Chelsea. Any other big six club sure. But CHELSEA?!!! They are utter poison to everyone who touches them at the moment. And their transfer strategy probably means he'd be mosly stuck with the players they have know. If he keeps doing what he's been doing with us for the rest of this season then he'll have his pick of any club job that's available. And I mean City, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus maybe even Real Madrid. I think some of our fans massively underestimate how good he is, how great he will be and how high his status is getting. Why on earth would he risk his career by going to a basket case, relegation fodder, minnow club like Chelsea?
100% this. I think one of the clubs you mention will likely be his next job. I'd add Barcelona, PSG, Man United and Milan to the list. He's not going anywhere lower down the pecking order than those.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’ll have the pick of virtually any job in football over the next 2-3 years the way things are going. Whilst Boehly would promise to chuck unimaginable piles of cash his way, the increasingly visible shitshow that is evident under that clueless gimp would make him choose elsewhere I reckon.

Was listening to the radio in the car this afternoon and they were talking about the point at which Poch is under pressure. Sense seemed to be another couple of defeats and he’s in deep do-do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No.

He’s far too switched on and has seen other managers go there and fail.

He’ll wait, as he’s smart enough to realise better options will be available if he continues doing what he’s doing here.
I’m quite sure many said that about Potter :lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don’t think so. I think Potter was ruthlessly ambitious, and that’s fine, but I think he also understood that he had a window in which he could get an English Big 6 move, and it wasn’t going to be open forever. RDZ is different, he is the most exciting young coach in Europe at the moment and he really doesn’t need to worry about what his stock will look like in 12 months time. He will also have all the big clubs in Europe interested in him, which realistically wasn’t going to happen for Potter.

I think RDZ would be absolutely mental to the take the Chelsea job in the current circumstances.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
This season? No - even if his contract didn't preclude it.
Next Season? Doubtful - I suspect he will still want to work through the current project with us.

After that?
The Football project on offer will be as big a motivator as the money for De Zerbi.
He is an elite manager. He will be managing a European super-power within the next 3-4 seasons.
If Chelsea are still in the mix by that point, then maybe. I suspect they won't be.
I am also sure he will be managing a European super power within the next 3-4 years... Without having to move clubs :albion2:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I think that it's over.
He had the decision to stay or head to Chelsea, and broke his trust with Brighton instead following Potter.
We already have an amazing coaching system and many managerial talents for the future.
I wish him all the best, but the time has passed.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I thought an interesting note in the Telegraph article was that he is a family man and his daughter is studying in London. Completely from me putting two and two together and getting 52, but I think we'll keep RDZ until all of his family are back in Italy, and then he'll go and be a wonderful manager somewhere in mainland Europe at a massive club that is closer to "home".
Can we finance a PhD for her in London so she stays another three years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here