Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Worthing - officially the best British seaside town to move to in 2023

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What always strikes me when we go to Worthing is that it could do with a university. If it had 20k young people in the town - and the money that puts into the economy it would make a massive difference to the feel of the place. Where we are it's as easy to get to Worthing as Brighton. If you want to park easily - go for a walk along the prom, go to a sensibly priced cinema, wander around the shops, even have a coffee ....... it's great.
Just my opinion, and it probably won’t be universally appreciated, but the overpopulation of students has killed off parts of Brighton. I grew up on an estate that was bursting with kids, now every other house has been converted into student housing and it’s completely lost its soul.

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Just my opinion, and it probably be universally appreciated, but the overpopulation of students has killed off parts of Brighton. I grew up on an estate that was bursting with kids, now every other house has been converted into student housing and it’s completely lost its soul.
It is happening the country over. Because our manufacturing industry is in such decline, we don’t have good jobs for school leavers. Therefore let’s give them better access to further education instead - obviously that keeps them off the streets, out of the job market, gives them hope, creates jobs in the sector and (depending on your view) revitalises towns and cities that might otherwise be dying. The cynic in me also says that it doesn’t solve the problem long term because then you have lots of students all looking for / hoping for / expecting better jobs when they leave college and probably plenty will be disappointed.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Discussing with my social circles a lot of younger people born and raised in Brighton and Hove are considering a move to Worthing. Costs of houses in the city remain absurdly high and a lot of competing demand between students and landlords leasing houses and young families trying to get on the ladder. Worthing’s recent development, lower prices, comparable access to London and proximity to Brighton is making it all the more appealing.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Discussing with my social circles a lot of younger people born and raised in Brighton and Hove are considering a move to Worthing. Costs of houses in the city remain absurdly high and a lot of competing demand between students and landlords leasing houses and young families trying to get on the ladder. Worthing’s recent development, lower prices, comparable access to London and proximity to Brighton is making it all the more appealing.
I agree , you do get a lot more for your money and it has improved a lot . Certainly the area near the beach is not bad .

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't want this to sound rude to Worthing - it's basically fine, even quite nice - but if it's the best seaside town to move to in Britain, an island nation with nothing but coastline and seaside towns, then it rather suggests that the country is in a bit of a state.

There has to be a better option than quite nice?!
The country is in a bit of a state you say . . . really?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not retired but moved right on the Goring / Ferring border a couple of years ago into a bungalow that needed a lot of updating. Had to spend a few quid to bring it up to spec but worth the investment.

Working from home, it is nice than once I finish for the day I can be walking along the Ilex within a minute to clear my head and get some exercise. In the summer I can cut across the fields and be walking along the beach, watching the various windsurfers, kitesurfers, etc.
Trying to make me jealous are we? . . . you are succeeding!

The trouble is if we were to clear ourselves out financially and do much as you have done, i.e. find a bunglaow that is a little bit of a project for a knock down price, then Mrs. Cowfold would start eyeing up the beach huts, and that would most definately be a financial step too far

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When I first came to work in Worthing in 2014, I thought I’d come through a time warp into the 60s. I could never see myself living here.

Fast forward just 9 years and I now enjoy walking to work and the massive increase in good quality cafes and bars. I only moved here 3 months ago, but it already feels like home and reminds me what I used to like about Brighton before it got taken over by students and Londoners (and the hen and stag parties).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Worthing being touted as the place to be for those priced out of Shoreham then. Who were in turn priced out of B&H. Expect a similar blurb about Bognor or LA shortly, for those priced out of Worthing. So it goes. And it probably doesn't stop til it gets to Gosport

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just my opinion, and it probably be universally appreciated, but the overpopulation of students has killed off parts of Brighton. I grew up on an estate that was bursting with kids, now every other house has been converted into student housing and it’s completely lost its soul.

Fair enough. It just feels like Worthing would benefit from having a younger profile. In my youth we called it "God's Waiting Room" - not that any of us knew it that well! I enjoy walking around the place but it does feel old - and I am one of them.

(and all understandable criticisms of my original post taken on board).

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Worthing being touted as the place to be for those priced out of Shoreham then. Who were in turn priced out of B&H. Expect a similar blurb about Bognor or LA shortly, for those priced out of Worthing. So it goes. And it probably doesn't stop til it gets to Gosport
😅
Come on, will we ever really get to see the day that Gosport is considered the hip new place to live?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
😅
Come on, will we ever really get to see the day that Gosport is considered the hip new place to live?
For sure, just let the Estate Agents get to work on their dark arts. If they can somehow spin 'Fiveways Village' out of our shitty local traffic junction that takes about five minutes for a pedestrian to cross the road then all bets are off. Apparently I now live in The Golden Triangle :lolol:

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Dome Cinema is excellent and good value too. Cheap admission in the afternoon, or, used to be ? Often about a third of the cost of Cineworld or the DoY's.
I live in Hove (the username is a bit of a giveaway!) but nearly always pop over to Worthing for cinema. So cheap compared to the Odean or Cineworld in Brighton and easy/free/dirt cheap parking depending on time of day. Even if I jump on the train that costs about the same (with a railcard) as a day ticket on Brighton buses.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I feel the centre has gone downhill a bit since Beales moved out, nearest department store is now Tunbridge Wells or Southampton!

Which rather suggests department stores are going the way of the dodo in general. Nothing to do with Worthing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here