Worst violence away from home ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seabass1

Aug 1, 2011
Horsham
Lol ! I was there to, 11 years old and took my first beating at football and if I remember right they had come over the bridge and we had no where to go !!!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The Pompey beating I recalled earlier was bad enough but I also got a good hiding off coppers at New St. station when I went there for a Liverpool v Brum game in the 80s ( don't ask...I am a scouser by adoption, not an LFC fan) as we got off the train there was a line of OB with batons drawn and a pack of dogs snapping away...the Liverpool fans were trying to get off the train and I still recall those brummie accents shouting "get behind the yellow line you scouse *******s" as soon as a samba'd foot went over the line, WALLOP..baton to leg, bites to arse from Alsatians...this carried on all the way down the platform. I lost a lot of respect for the police that day, it was just malicious assault. They were twatting people around the head, kicking them and hauling anyone who resisted off.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Millwall 1986 as stated. Although there was a lot of aggro, it wasn’t us giving it we were well and truly under the cosh. I was on the train that got bricked at Forest Gate. We were well and truly run out of town that day.

As for us performing, I agree with the 1987-88 season.
Brentford twice, the cup game was worse and the fact that Garry Nelson scored THAT GOAL caused a pitch invasion in itself.
Gillingham away and Northampton although Northampton would probably claim the victory on that one.

The most aggro away from home that I have witnessed has to be Peterborough away in the cup in 1986, the shopping centre and the two pubs before hand.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Well the Aldershot lads certainly seemed to be ready and waiting. I was only in there as I'd gone up with a couple of mates to meet some other mates who were Aldershot fans, so we were having a drink with them. As we walked into the pub, we were clocked immediately as non-locals, and some lad half shouted "seagulls" to see if we'd react - fortunately we didn't fall for that and kept schtum. We'd only had a bout one sip of our first pint when the Brighton lot turned up, and it certainly did escalate quite quickly. I saw a couple of Aldershot lads with big overcoats on, open their coats and start luzzing empty bottles they'd kept ready in their pockets. Tables, chairs and glasses followed pretty quick and a couple of them turned to look at us, but we'd scarpered.

In my dreams I like to think they thought we were the advance crew telling the rest where to come :lolol: Which, as anyone who knows me knows, that couldn't be further from the truth
If the pub was The Volunteer it was pretty mental that day ,after leaving made my way to another pub where the said crew of Brighton were drinking TBF they left us alone .Later on in the evening two posters on here entered my local and asked if it was ok for a beer which it was.League Cup at The Rec 84 /85 was lively too.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Last league meeting at roots hall between us and Southend there was a bit of agg on the seafront there.

The next day the Southend Echo had the headline "soccer yobs on rampage" referring to our own sweet boys. There was a little crew arrested outside the ground in connection with that...they all looked about 40.

I think that may have been the time at Southend when I was in the ground and heard a disturbance outside the ground. All I witnessed was one of the big industrial wheelie bins flying through the air. To this day I still cannot believe I saw this massive bin flying through the air but I did.....any one else witness it?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bury away two years running we filled our coach the second time by taking 10 from the Bosun made a very interesting day out.:facepalm: it was a bit like this:wrong:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If the pub was The Volunteer it was pretty mental that day ,after leaving made my way to another pub where the said crew of Brighton were drinking TBF they left us alone .Later on in the evening two posters on here entered my local and asked if it was ok for a beer which it was.League Cup at The Rec 84 /85 was lively too.

Memory a bit hazy now, but I don't think it was The Volunteer. I have a vague feeling it was just called The Shots or something like that :shrug:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I think that may have been the time at Southend when I was in the ground and heard a disturbance outside the ground. All I witnessed was one of the big industrial wheelie bins flying through the air. To this day I still cannot believe I saw this massive bin flying through the air but I did.....any one else witness it?

It wasn't outside the ground, it was at the back of the stands between us behind the goal and Southend fans to the right

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
:

Yeah that's the one, also running battles in the park outside, no one had a clue who each other was, too dark :lolol:

Euston on the way up that day was pretty lively too...A big group of us were waiting in the center of the station, then Millwall turned up as they were heading north as well. You could cut the atmosphere with a knife as they clocked us, then low and behold, just as I thought we were gonna get rolled over...Palace turned up on there way to Blackburn or somewhere - They were promptly run down the platform on to there train!!

Also, does anybody remember the ' You ate all the pies' chant at the fat steward that day? Hilarious as he danced along to the chant!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It wasn't outside the ground, it was at the back of the stands between us behind the goal and Southend fans to the right

Is the right answer.

Think it was the 1st league game of the season, and is old a spare ticket to a pissed up lad on the seafront, then during the game when one of the keepers was about to take a goal kick he ran on and leathered the ball in the net.:lolol:

Also remember one time at Southend, (not sure if it was the same game) a gobby Southend lad in the stand to the left giving the :tosser: to us, but little did he know a brighton fan behind him who pushed him over the seats :thumbsup:

Chesterfield away was lively afterwards back to the station, also last game away to Shrewsbury when we won the league, lost on the day, but had a little bit before the game, pub opposite the station, and through the town after the game.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Never been a dull moment at Pompey
Was in a train carriage leaving Pompey once that got caved in with bricks

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As for us performing, I agree with the 1987-88 season.
Brentford twice, the cup game was worse and the fact that Garry Nelson scored THAT GOAL caused a pitch invasion in itself.
Gillingham away and Northampton although Northampton would probably claim the victory on that one.

Chester away that season had a big rambling open terrace behind the goal and a little covered bit next to their fans. Everyone went in a big crush in the covered bit. There was a banner with Brighton Holsten Army on it and a constant stream of small missiles between the two sides.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I heard southend away was the most arrests ever made upto that date at a football game over 170 arrests. stabbings over 20 ? Retribution for a game earlier in the season i was told but ive looked on internet and not found anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports