Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst violence away from home ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Remember something similar when we played Fulham, some Met scrote giving us :tosser: signs down to his side and then unluckily for him he
was sent into the crowd to pull a fan and got beaten to the ground and had to be pulled out by his mates

If this was the FA Cup approx 95 the OB were the worst I have seen, just picking on Albion fans for no reason in the ground.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Luton away, somewhere around late 60 early 70's memory crap now, macdonalds car overturned

I remember 1 trip to Wolves , I think November 1980 when the few of us going got ran by Palace at Victoria on the way up, then ran by Man U at Euston, ran all over Wolverhampton before and after the game, ran by the Scousers at Euston on the way back and ran by Palace again at Victoria and East Croydon on the train back to Brighton.

I was fitter than Mo Farrah after that lot.

With all that RUNNING are you sure it wasn't you that had it on his TOWS with the 83 cup final CASH?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
As mentioned above, Luton was epic.

Places where I've been most nervous at are Cardiff & Sheff Utd.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Aldershot late 70s cup I think because they where Div 4 when we where Div 3 sticks in my mind, Palarse was always the same at that time you knew exactly what was on the menu.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Grimsby 1985, Tuesday night, won 4-2 after being 2-0 down with 12 minutes to go.

Locals were very unpleasant.

Millwall at the Old Den, they had not lost at home for two years, Mick Ferguson picked up the ball on the half way line, we (and the Millwall defence) assumed as usual that nothing would happen, he ambled forwards 40 yards with no one attempting to tackle him and then slotted it half heartedly past their keeper. We held on to win 1-0. Afterwards they put out every window on the football special back to Brighton.

Port Vale in 2002. We had already been promoted but needed a win to be champions. Paul Watson curled one in for victory. About four pitch invasions during the match from their lot, and carnage in town afterwards.

Wolves 1981/2. Andy Ritchie scored a 25 yard screamer which gave us three points and took us to 5th in the top division. Their lot were randomly giving anyone not in flares a kicking outside Molyneux.

You sure? I was at the PV match and i dont remember a single pitch invasion from PV fans. As i recall their crowd was tiny that day.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You sure? I was at the PV match and i dont remember a single pitch invasion from PV fans. As i recall their crowd was tiny that day.

Exactly this, they came along the their stand to get as close as they could, but no one went on the pitch.
Brilliant turn out from Albion fans :salute:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Grimsby 1985, Tuesday night, won 4-2 after being 2-0 down with 12 minutes to go.

Millwall at the Old Den, they had not lost at home for two years, Mick Ferguson picked up the ball on the half way line, we (and the Millwall defence) assumed as usual that nothing would happen, he ambled forwards 40 yards with no one attempting to tackle him and then slotted it half heartedly past their keeper. We held on to win 1-0. Afterwards they put out every window on the football special back to Brighton.

Port Vale in 2002. We had already been promoted but needed a win to be champions. Paul Watson curled one in for victory. About four pitch invasions during the match from their lot, and carnage in town afterwards.

Wolves 1981/2. Andy Ritchie scored a 25 yard screamer which gave us three points and took us to 5th in the top division. Their lot were randomly giving anyone not in flares a kicking

Grimsby game was bad, 4 of us walking back to our car got set upon by 40 plus of them in the side streets, I know Ernest took a shoeing that evening.
Millwall game, Ferguson could not hit a barn door from 2 foot but scored that day, those that travelled by coach got off lightly compared to those by train.
Plymouth away 1986 in Home Park en route back to the station was very lively, bricks, bottles flying in both directions.
Oldham away in the cup early nineties along with Bmuff was also lively.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Luton away, somewhere around late 60 early 70's memory crap now, macdonalds car overturned

Yep I remember that Luton match, Albion fans got the gates to one of the stands open and then we all flooded in. I think we must have taken 3 - 5,000 that day, fights breaking out left right and centre outside of the ground, house windows getting smashed and fights on the station. I think it was 66/67 something like that.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
As mentioned above, Luton was epic.

Places where I've been most nervous at are Cardiff & Sheff Utd.

I've had more trouble at Cardiff City over the years than anywhere else. Got kicked to the ground outside Ninian Park and given a real hiding with cuts and bruises all over my face. I started a new job on the Monday looking like Freddy Krueger; stayed there for a couple of years though!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We were no angels at Chesterfield back in the 80's.

Ipswich around the sametime.

Luton was the worst I saw although Pompey when we were both in the 4th division was bloody hairy...I got that twice as I was down with Huddersfield the same year and that was carnage too!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was at the Old Den on a very cold afternoon (and the Old Den was as cold at Withdean) and I had never seen so many Police in an actual ground that was only a quarter full (about 2000 fans were watching from outside). About a hundred Police were lined in banks of four for the length of the terrace. This was probably in the seventies. The story being told (believable from the evidence) that the Police were there to stop two rival groups of Millwall supporters having a barney.

Completely unrelated, on two separate occasions the match was stopped as two middle-aged lunatics (must have escaped their nurses?) ran on the pitch shouting "Kill the Referee" (I was nearby one of them).

I can't remember the score.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Remember this very well. My first away game, 16 years old and one of my mates suggested catching the 10am train from Brighton. Got to Portsmouth 11.30ish with about 15 others and as soon as we got off the train ran in trouble, got chased around town, got split up and me and my brother managed to get back to the station and we waited for the other trains packed with Brighton supporters. Walked to the ground and got waylaid again by a bigger mob of Portsmouth. In the end me, bro and a couple of others ended up in their end, keeping quiet of course. It was just part of the times, part of growing up. It never put me off going to away games.
Portsmouth 1973.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
One of the worst I`ve been involved in was Wembley 83 in the replay. Coming out of the ground and walking down Wembley way with about 10 mates when suddenly jumped on by loads of United fans, got a real shinner for my trouble. As fans were walking down they saw the fight they joined in, first more united fans then some BHA fans then more united fans and BHA fans and so on. Got to Victoria Station and every one of my mates had either bloody noses, black eyes, cut lips, bumps, bruises and ripped shirts. If only we had won it would have been worth the battering.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
grimsby(cleethorpes would be more correct) a few years back,last game of the season

to quote Ron Burgundy

"Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast."

or so i am lead to believe.

Reading away was a strange one,i swear everyone was on crack,the wanton violence around the town by the majority(yes it seemed like everyone) of Albion was extraordinary.What did a programme stand ever do to deserve that?

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne

Wolves 1981/2. Andy Ritchie scored a 25 yard screamer which gave us three points and took us to 5th in the top division. Their lot were randomly giving anyone not in flares a kicking outside Molyneux.

Grimsby was a weird night. Couldn't get served anywhere & every corner you turned there of nutters looking for any Albion they could find.

Millwall at the Old Den was fun after the game. The locals destroyed a brick wall to ambush us with & then we got run all the way to New Cross Gate.

Cardiff in '84 was a delightful day out too. Remember being on the open away terrace & had to keep ducking as the locals were bombarding us with everything they could from outside the ground. Got out after & took a bad beating for just being friendly & giving someone the time :facepalm:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Very ugly day....got there early...already pitched battles outside...cars being overturned...broken glass and police sirens everywhere....rumours that Supermac had only just arrived and had to rescue his young child from his upturned motor!
Decided to go inside...as we went thru turnstile...got jumped by a host of Luton who had clambered into the away end...nice way to be greeted, with a flurry of punches!...stewards dived in but not before my old man had left two young hatters with very sore reminders of their folly.
Millwall away..early 70's..late season promotion clash...stood on the big open terrace, down one side...NON-SEGREGATED!!!!!.....CAN YOU BELIEVE IT.....THE OLD DEN....it was like signing your own suicide note....fights and scuffles were breaking out everywhere before kick-off. When the teams came out, there was a big surge behind us and Millwall descended on us like a tidal wave. When I looked to my right, the bloke on the end of our line had gone down from a right hook that Mike Tyson would have been proud of. It was the scariest 90 minutes I ever spent in my life. I was only young and I was bricking it.
If you never did the Old Den, believe you me, there was nowhere on God's earth that was anything like it. You weren't safe at the station, you weren't safe between there and the ground and if they hadn't got you by the final whistle, then they would hunt you down afterwards.
Happy Days.

I've had more trouble at Cardiff City over the years than anywhere else. Got kicked to the ground outside Ninian Park and given a real hiding with cuts and bruises all over my face. I started a new job on the Monday looking like Freddy Krueger; stayed there for a couple of years though!

Cardiff as a 15 year year old pretty orrible,big mistake celebrating mellors winner in a non segregated side stand,got chased out the ground by about 40 of the luvs:facepalm:
Great fun searching the side streets for minibus afterwards:blush:

Very ugly day....got there early...already pitched battles outside...cars being overturned...broken glass and police sirens everywhere....rumours that Supermac had only just arrived and had to rescue his young child from his upturned motor!
Decided to go inside...as we went thru turnstile...got jumped by a host of Luton who had clambered into the away end...nice way to be greeted, with a flurry of punches!...stewards dived in but not before my old man had left two young hatters with very sore reminders of their folly.
Millwall away..early 70's..late season promotion clash...stood on the big open terrace, down one side...NON-SEGREGATED!!!!!.....CAN YOU BELIEVE IT.....THE OLD DEN....it was like signing your own suicide note....fights and scuffles were breaking out everywhere before kick-off. When the teams came out, there was a big surge behind us and Millwall descended on us like a tidal wave. When I looked to my right, the bloke on the end of our line had gone down from a right hook that Mike Tyson would have been proud of. It was the scariest 90 minutes I ever spent in my life. I was only young and I was bricking it.
If you never did the Old Den, believe you me, there was nowhere on God's earth that was anything like it. You weren't safe at the station, you weren't safe between there and the ground and if they hadn't got you by the final whistle, then they would hunt you down afterwards.
Happy Days.

Behind the goal for that one with bruv who was on crutches already,I think aldershot took the backlash the next day,millwall away good friday then aldershot on the saturday:rolleyes:
Then gillingham at home on the monday???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here