Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Pub

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Junction pub in Burgess Hill, that place had some dodgy characters (bouncer is inside for Murder.) I wasn't surpised when it burnt down!

It was full of dodgy characters but don't think they were the ones that burnt it down. Closed down, bought by developers who then couldn't get planning permission for change of use (I think that was the reason given) and low and behold it then burns down. Probably by Arson's R Us, the same firm that did the developers at St Francis Hospital a big favour with the Norman Hay Hall!!!!

the worst pub in Haywards Heath was the Liverpool Arms and thats official.but great for underage drinking.

worst ive ever been to is Sir Harry's pub in Edgbaston.....i really do not know where to begin to describe how dire this place is.

Not sure how that was the worst pub in H/H. Burrell was worse and also the Pilgrim Goose/Golden Eagle/Mayflower or whatever it is called now.

As for worst pub I've been to, that would be when we lost 1-0 to Colchester. Had a flat roof and an unwelcoming landlord who looked like he had served 40 years in the army and, if he had risen above the rank of private, would very soon have been demoted back to it!!!!! A pile of hand made sandwiches carried through by his not so lovely looking bar maid (maid being a very loose term). An absolute dive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This was a thread a couple of years back.
I then said The Swan Fittleworth:-

thumbnail.aspx

As it gives the impression of a classic Sussex pub.
But as it was run by an odious horrid little man.
I wouldn't know if he still runs the pub as I haven't been back, (I can't even remember the issues now) but if he's still there I stand by comments. If he's not it's probably a great pub.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
There was some pub just around the corner from Anfield we went to before the FA Cup tie. The dart board didn't have any numbers on, the wallpaper was peeling off, the ESPN kept freezing and we got acosted by some bloke from the local nursing home. All in all not a fantastic place, but I guess we got alcohol so shouldn't moan really.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
a pub in Boscombe before we went on a night out at the Opera House once

also walked into a vile pub just up from Union Street in Plymouth at about 2.45 on a matchday one year....big mistake

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My vote goes to the Clifton Arms in Worthing (sadly now closed!!), I worked the bar for a little bit, it was frightening (and I've run some serious shitholes up Preston & Manchester way so that's saying something!!!).

That as always a very easy pub to run. I was born and bred near there and my mother, sister and me worked in there for years never ever any trouble, just a good beer drinkers pub. No where near as bad as many that I have run in the east end of London.

Last edited:

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
A pub in Haywards Heath (on the road to Wivelsfield ) I think it was called The Duck, but I might be making that up. Anyway, it was the sort of place where you walked in and all the regulars turned to stare at you, in a " don't get many of you out of towners in these 'ere parts " sort of way.
Someone did the decent thing and knocked it down last year and built a Sainsburys local on the site

It's a Sainsburys now (only read this and posted but someone's probably said this by now). Only went in there once and had the pleasure of watching a muddy beardy type collapse on to the floor holding his kidneys and screaming pain. Some bloke walked over, looked down at him, shrugged and ordered 3 packets of Scampi Fries.

Shit hole

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
My vote goes to the Clifton Arms in Worthing (sadly now closed!!), I worked the bar for a little bit, it was frightening (and I've run some serious shitholes up Preston & Manchester way so that's saying something!!!).

That place was the ultimate shitpit & I've been in a few dives over the years. Dodgy & down & out customers, many of whom were banned from other pubs in town. Skanky old carpet in one bar & 100 years old peeling lino in the other. I remember a customers dog pissing on the lino one night. Nobody blinked an eyelid! The whole place was like walking into a 70's timewarp.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Clarence, Stockwell. One of those purpose built pubs, although no flat roof, but reminiscent of recruiting office for BNP enthusiasts - the whole pub being draped in English flags. Like another pub mentioned on this thread, the taps weren't working or the beer was off, so people were drinking from cans of Carlsberg. A nasty atmosphere with the whole pub stopping in their tracks when someone had the bare faced cheek to wander in. Cigarettes stubbed out on pretty much everything. A sharp smell of vomit and stale piss in the toilets. Most urinals blocked with stubbed out fags.

Every single punter being purple faced and on the verge of a cardiac arrest.

10045993.jpg

Maidens Head in Uckfield. Went in there with Mrs Potting and some friends to kill time one Sunday afternoon before going to the cinema. Deserted except for a small group of serious bikers drinking at a table. Landlord looked and sounded like Billy Connolly playing a tough nut Glaswegian landlord in a film about organised crime in the Gorbals, and so did his wife.

We sat and "enjoyed" our drink, the landlord suddenly ran to the door and screamed "oi get over her you C***" to a reprobate passing on the other side of the road. Turns out he was a guy he had fallen out with/banned and for reasons unknown had decided to "kiss and make up" with. All was well with them and I suspect that those in the pub then floated through the rest of their day on a haze of alcohol and other substances.

Sadly in it's day the pub was probably a lovely little market town coaching inn/hotel but had gone down hill big time.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Anybody remember the Burrells in Shoreham next to the station. Its now a nice Italian restaurant but back in the day it was common knowledge that you had to wipe your feet on the way out. In the end they could only sell cans of Fosters.
f8146382beac795a5ca0506ec15daadf.jpg

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Not the worst pub but definately the most intimidating. The Imperial Inn, Birch St, Manchester with girlfriend - thought we'd pop in for a quick beer after seeing a gig at the MEN as staying at the travel lodge opposite. We were 'allowed' to stay for one and then encouraged to leave. Didn't complain. One fight kicked off between two older fellas inside and another about to start outside as we left. Prospect bikers running/working the bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here