Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Pub

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The Ugly Duckling in Haywards Heath was a positive haven of loveliness compared to the Heath and the Golden Eagle.

OI ! Nothing wrong with the Golden Eagle (or at least there wasn't about 28 years ago when it was my local)

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
It was The Duck, about ten years ago Gorden (a manc) and Dawn (Scouser) took over and tried to make it a good pub it worked it was freindly and a good laugh for a bit but think they left as people still werent packing the place, I left HH for Worthing just before they went,Nice people though
Ah, good, I didn't imagine the name then!
I'd just like to add that my last visit to The Duck was about 1991, so it was clearly the previous management that weren't that friendly!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Queen Adelaide or The Nelson in Hastings Old Town. Both are grim, and the Adelaide was f***ing terrifying (although I think it's gone now). Most of the pubs there are lovely (particularly fond of the FILO and the Stag, where I grew up), but those two were always awful.

Burrell Arms by HH station is the most uncomfortable I've felt in quite some time. Walked in there ,whilst waiting for a couple of friends to go elsewhere, with the girlfriend and the pub went silent (she's not that bad!). We ordered a pint and the locals kept staring over at us. They also did the nice deliberate shouldering move when one walked past me.

Suffice to say, we only had the one.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
the worst pub in Haywards Heath was the Liverpool Arms and thats official.but great for underage drinking.

worst ive ever been to is Sir Harry's pub in Edgbaston.....i really do not know where to begin to describe how dire this place is.

Oct 25, 2003
they were some pretty dodgy (but cheap as f***) pubs in newcastle when i lived there..........my southern accent tended not to go down too well

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Firstly , to the OP the william the 4th in Brixton was a quality late night/early morning venue in my late teens, a bit spit and sawdust at times but still quality.

The worse pub ive drunk in is the now closed (thank god) half moon in West Croydon. An absolute hole of a pub where even the police were to scared to go to. A poor asian taxi driver once got half his face taken off by an axe..eeek.

I had the pleasure of working in one of Croydon's roughest pubs in South Croydon i wont name names but the police finally closed it down after a machete attack. In the two years I worked there we had numerous stabbings, the mentioned machete attack, a bloke pulled a gun on a bouncer one Saturday when I was working and more serious fights than I care to remember. The aptly named E bar in S.Croydon takes some beating for rough bars too, it was finally closed down when a young fella was stabbed to death. One night in there it all kicked off, when the bouncer asked one of the ringleaders to leave his response was 'I anit leaving till i've seen blood' a couple of minutes later he got his wish.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was The Duck, about ten years ago Gorden (a manc) and Dawn (Scouser) took over and tried to make it a good pub it worked it was freindly and a good laugh for a bit but think they left as people still werent packing the place, I left HH for Worthing just before they went,Nice people though

It was the Ugly Duckling. It changed it's name to The Duck. Towards the end of it's life it was renowned for accepting every lout that had been banned on Pubwatch from the Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill area. I seem to recall an old school mate of mine called Terry was involved in one of the changes. Would be more than 10 years ago though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Black Horse in Deptford. the general decor implied it was last refitted in 70's, and seats were mostly slashed with foam padding ripped out. beer (allegedly) was cold but didnt taste like what it ought to - no bad, not watery, just wrong, like they'd put some old barrel of fosters on the stella tap. the toilets had not only smashed mirrors and tiles (not unusual in south London) but a smashed urinal. locals were a woman with two teeth and a dog on a string type.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Burrell Arms by HH station is the most uncomfortable I've felt in quite some time. Walked in there ,whilst waiting for a couple of friends to go elsewhere, with the girlfriend and the pub went silent (she's not that bad!). We ordered a pint and the locals kept staring over at us. They also did the nice deliberate shouldering move when one walked past me.

Suffice to say, we only had the one.

Know what you mean. I was travelling on my own back to the coast once, and stopped in the waiting room on the down platform at HH - must have been about 11 pm.

This group of ratboys came in, they were scary. Then a railway porter came in and told them to piss off. Was I grateful.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The Kelsey Arms in Tonbridge, I looked after it for a week while it was being sold, first night couple of girl pikies came in, I was going to get them out but was pulled to one side by the guy I was taking over from "you see that burnt out pub over the road, they refused this lot aswell" I then quickly made freinds with them and to be fair them on their money brothers turned out okay ,I remember one of the girls was sitting with a few of them then out of the blue got up opened the window and screammed a tirade of death threats and insults to a passing girl whom she obviously knew thing like "your dead slag walking Im gonna f***ing kill you you..." that kind of thing then calmly closed the window and went and sat back with everyone no one batted an eye lid. I that week I was constantly going to the gents to kick out junkies and on one occassion nice looking girl came in with bloke he had a few but not to bad then all of a sudden he was fked and could hardly move (drugs) i askedvery nicely to leave and he wouldnt go and not sure if he could move but eventualy got him to his feet as we got to door he got his knob out and started to piss I booted the door wide and through him like a cartoon, all the time his bird just sat there, if I remember right she even stayed and finished her drink, there was also some nasty Chelski fellas in their all of mid 30/40s the size ofbuses shaved heads,tattoos and scared faces

The Kelsey is in Southborough, but yes, it's a drug fuelled shit tip...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Junction pub in Burgess Hill, that place had some dodgy characters (bouncer is inside for Murder.) I wasn't surpised when it burnt down!

That place always gets a bad press, but back in the day that was a proper local pub.
It was my Sunday lunchtime venue of choice way back when.

True enough it went downhill in recent times and the pile of blackened rubble that is all now that remains on the site, is almost an improvement, but its a shame what happened.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
My vote goes to the Clifton Arms in Worthing (sadly now closed!!), I worked the bar for a little bit, it was frightening (and I've run some serious shitholes up Preston & Manchester way so that's saying something!!!).

For pure boredom and pompousness, the Dyke on Dyke road got right on my tits last week. Mrs Worthingite saw it online and booked a meal there for my 30th. f***ing shit, and pure and utter extortion (£8 for a pint of ale and a coke!!!!). Left there and ended up in the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham. Smashing place.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Can't quite remember the name,but it is/was on Chalk Farm road,the place was full of Irish drinking heavily while watching Hurley on television,it seemed friendly enough,but me and my mate seemed to upset the locals somewhat when a collection tin was shaken at us us for donations for the IRA (this was back in the early 80's) we told the bloke to f*** off and that we don't support murdering bastards at which point the whole Pub fell silent,we beat a hasty retreat through the toilets as we would in no way have made the exit door,went into a cubicle which had a small window and managed to squeeze through it and make good our escape while the jolly Irish chaps smashed the door in to no doubt give us a good kicking.A great way to spend a quiet Sunday lunchtime!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The Kelsey Arms in Tonbridge, I looked after it for a week while it was being sold, first night couple of girl pikies came in, I was going to get them out but was pulled to one side by the guy I was taking over from "you see that burnt out pub over the road, they refused this lot aswell" I then quickly made freinds with them and to be fair them on their money brothers turned out okay ,I remember one of the girls was sitting with a few of them then out of the blue got up opened the window and screammed a tirade of death threats and insults to a passing girl whom she obviously knew thing like "your dead slag walking Im gonna f***ing kill you you..." that kind of thing then calmly closed the window and went and sat back with everyone no one batted an eye lid. I that week I was constantly going to the gents to kick out junkies and on one occassion nice looking girl came in with bloke he had a few but not to bad then all of a sudden he was fked and could hardly move (drugs) i askedvery nicely to leave and he wouldnt go and not sure if he could move but eventualy got him to his feet as we got to door he got his knob out and started to piss I booted the door wide and through him like a cartoon, all the time his bird just sat there, if I remember right she even stayed and finished her drink, there was also some nasty Chelski fellas in their all of mid 30/40s the size ofbuses shaved heads,tattoos and scared faces

The Kelsey is in Tunbridge Wells, not Tonbridge and there has never been a pub opposite it. Not for the last forty years anyway...The Greyhound about half a mile away did get burnt down though. But unless you got xray vision and can see through the house on about six roads, you cant see it from the Kelsey.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
My vote goes to the Clifton Arms in Worthing (sadly now closed!!), I worked the bar for a little bit, it was frightening (and I've run some serious shitholes up Preston & Manchester way so that's saying something!!!).

For pure boredom and pompousness, the Dyke on Dyke road got right on my tits last week. Mrs Worthingite saw it online and booked a meal there for my 30th. f***ing shit, and pure and utter extortion (£8 for a pint of ale and a coke!!!!). Left there and ended up in the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham. Smashing place.

haha, you're not wrong about The Clifton, had a few hairy moments in there.
Breakers wasn't much better, ( a few even hairier moments in there!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here