[Albion] Worst Performance Since?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree. I've seen far worse.
It was a poor game but give West Brom some credit for their defending. They made it hard for us to get a shot away.
Yes there were some mix ups, with passes going to where they thought players should be, but that's because it was a mish mash of squad members.
West Brom knocked Liverpool out of the cup last year.

The WBA side a year ago wasn’t unrecognisable from today’s unknowns/kids.

Then:
D78DFF74-AF64-48E8-AF9C-5D294A806C4F.png

Today:
85AC76C5-54F5-4C5F-B0E3-B4A5856012AC.png

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Didn't expect such a meltdown over a draw in the FA cup 4th round but here we are.

But why didn't you? Thousands of loyal fans turned up today hoping for progression in the FA Cup. Since it looks as if we are not likely to go down, (yes, I know - anything can happen) I was looking forward to a cup run to maintain excitement and hopefully winning ways, only to be served up with that abject performance. The meltdown is only to be expected and entirely understandable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But why didn't you? Thousands of loyal fans turned up today hoping for progression in the FA Cup. Since it looks as if we are not likely to go down, (yes, I know - anything can happen) I was looking forward to a cup run to maintain excitement and hopefully winning ways, only to be served up with that abject performance. The meltdown is only to be expected and entirely understandable.

Meltdown? Come on, we're not school kids.
You win some, you lose some. We're in the draw on Monday, and the team has got the chance in the replay to try & get through.
Stephen's shot was half an inch from winning it.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

But imo it was nothing like 'abject'. We dominated the game. Clearly wanted to win and progress. Just poor decision making/lacking in the final 3rd. But largely by players who haven't played together much lately.

Upsets happen all the time in the cup; in fact so regularly (look at today's results plus the current afc wimbledon score) that they really shouldn't be called upsets anymore. Ours wouldn't have even been much of an upset if we had lost today; west brom are up the top of the championship (yes I know they played a young team)

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Meltdown? Come on, we're not school kids.
You win some, you lose some. We're in the draw on Monday, and the team has got the chance in the replay to try & get through.
Stephen's shot was half an inch from winning it.

Don't be so silly -I have not said you are like kids and I didn't use the word meltdown in the first place. Yes, the shot was unlucky, but to put such a charitable interpretation on that performance is foolhardy. Of course we lose and win some and we are in the draw, but really is that your only crump of comfort?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Our small bunch go home and away. Not a cat in hell's chance of that happening for this one. It was rubbish, a PL side against a reserve Champ side.

Its amazing how quickly we have become an established premier league club, when for the most part of our history we have mainly been in the lower leagues.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
But imo it was nothing like 'abject'. We dominated the game. Clearly wanted to win and progress. Just poor decision making/lacking in the final 3rd. But largely by players who haven't played together much lately.

Upsets happen all the time in the cup; in fact so regularly (look at today's results plus the current afc wimbledon score) that they really shouldn't be called upsets anymore. Ours wouldn't have even been much of an upset if we had lost today; west brom are up the top of the championship (yes I know they played a young team)
Bissouma, Andone and Locadia up front _ I am sure that I have seen them play quite often. Knocky has only recently been on the bench.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Took my son and some of his friends today All 10 years old. The longer the game went on, the more confused they got. You could see them thinking...."No goals? What's that all about?" Their own matches normally end up 11-9 or similar.

They'll learn to appreciate a clean sheet.......and not getting beat.

Oh and I reckon we missed Dunk today.....how many corners and no real threat from them.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I hope everyone appreciates Gross now links midfield and attack, Bissouma might have a song and a few tricks although ultimately did f all today end product wise, for 12m I would expect a lot more tbh.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't be so silly -I have not said you are like kids and I didn't use the word meltdown in the first place. Yes, the shot was unlucky, but to put such a charitable interpretation on that performance is foolhardy. Of course we lose and win some and we are in the draw, but really is that your only crump of comfort?

What's a crump of comfort when it's at home?

boik

Jesus, the overreaction on here is incredible. I always brace myself before coming on here when we don't get a result, but even so.

Yes, we were pretty ineffectual in front of goal, but we created tons of chance and they had some great blocks to deny us. had any one of those been deflected in instead of wide, the usual moaners would probably have been happy. I found the match a bit frustrating, but those trying to make out it was our worst performance for years are clear off their nuts.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Jesus, the overreaction on here is incredible. I always brace myself before coming on here when we don't get a result, but even so.

Yes, we were pretty ineffectual in front of goal, but we created tons of chance and they had some great blocks to deny us. had any one of those been deflected in instead of wide, the usual moaners would probably have been happy. I found the match a bit frustrating, but those trying to make out it was our worst performance for years are clear off their nuts.

It was very frustrating but agree with you, at least we made chances. It wasn't like they pissed all over us. Just a poor last third performance.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

I cannot decide if you're taking the piss or not. This is only our second season in the top flight. You have just said yourself we're likely safe and it's not even FEBRUARY! Is this not exciting to you? Are you not entertained!? In 2 or 3 seasons time if we're in this position I'll allow myself to be annoyed but right now you really need to just drink it in man, not many teams get two seasons in the Premier League let alone a probable third.

I usually get irked when people give the "You have forgot where we came from" line but holy shit it is incredible suitable to this post.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think this was a bad performance, I'd say it was disappointing. The first 20 mins was encouraging, Bissouma was electric but none of the front three brought their game today and I think Knocky is having trouble adapting from 4-4-1-1 to 4-3-3.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What's a crump of comfort when it's at home?

Looking at the post now, it was a typo, and of course it was meant to be crumb! but I think you know that. Ironic, that the person who lectures others about posting rudeness, can herself find it amusing to post sarcastic comments. So, by your logic of being able to read into others post as to their character, what does that make you?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I cannot decide if you're taking the piss or not. This is only our second season in the top flight. You have just said yourself we're likely safe and it's not even FEBRUARY! Is this not exciting to you? Are you not entertained!? In 2 or 3 seasons time if we're in this position I'll allow myself to be annoyed but right now you really need to just drink it in man, not many teams get two seasons in the Premier League let alone a probable third.

I usually get irked when people give the "You have forgot where we came from" line but holy shit it is incredible suitable to this post.

I think you need to read my original post again, because you have got totally the wrong end of the stick. I am not talking about our league position at all - of course it is as you say - but that, as we are relatively safe I was hoping for a cup run, but there were several indicators running up to the match, that the club do not take it as seriously as we fans do. I do actually agree with you in that we cannot keep saying, as an excuse, remember where we have come from, but that is irrelevant to the post that I wrote. The fact is that that team yesterday should have beaten a (albeit good) Championship team's reserves, and the performance left much to be desired. One can both be happy with our league position AND criticise yesterday's performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports