Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

worst live band/performance youve seen?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Roy Harper at the Fairfield Halls in 1970. He really couldn't be arsed and instead of not bothering to turn up - which would at least have been honest! - he sat on a chair, occasionally strumming a guitar while he abused the audience for having the brass neck to expect some sort of value for money. Or even something that vaguely resembled a performance. The Strawbs who were the support put on a stupendous set and Harper was lucky that they had since the audience were feeling mellower than he deserved.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Can anyone think of a gig at the Brighton Centre that was not bad?

Even Massive Attack were boring at Brighton Centre.

The Prodigy and early Pogues pre Christmas gigs were excellent at the centre, but agree that its a pretty dire venue. The talk is of a new smaller 3,000 capacity venue when they knock down the existing building and rebuild a new modern conference/concert venue.

My worst gig was Oasis at the Brighton centre when Liam got the strops with people shouting and said "hope you all die of hypothermia" and walked off. The concert started well but by the end people were walking out it was so sh*t!

The Damned at Worthing a few years ago was also embarrassing. We retired to the bar after about 2 songs and left the other handful of people desperately trying to recapture there lost youth!

Looking forward to Arcade Fire at the Alexandra Palace the day we play Leyton Orient away - should be a good day out!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The one and only time I've been to Selhurst was for a gig, possibly Quo, I can't remember, but one of the support acts was Steve Van Zant (sp?) who had been one of Springsteens guitarists. He lasted about 2 minutes on stage before the number of bottle being thrown at him made it impossible to continue.

Uriah Heep did all the cliche' shite back in 1974 (same gig as Wienergull went to) at the Dome. My mate and I were about the only ones insisting on staying seated when the singer insisted "everyone stand UP", and some tosser behind us then decided what we were doing was unsuitable and he tried insisting the same! Utter, utter wankers. We had higher hopes, and were fairly close to the front of the stage. Their guitarist loon-pants legs astride while the mixer disguised his lack of ability under wah-wah fuzz effects.

Gary Moore in 1972 when he used to stretch one-note-solos for two minutes a-piece, replete with pained expressions supposed to exemplify the ecstacy he was obviously experiencing for his shit guitar 'playing'. We booed him, not that it made any difference.

The Doctors of Madness at Top Rank Suite. Pretentious crap with silver painted faces. Feaces, more like, the worst example of glam I had the displeasure of seeing. Glam was already rubbish as it was, with bands like Chicory Tip in space-suits. The music was dire.

King Crimson at The Dome 1974. Having seen them in 71 being brilliant, I had high hopes. They had some twat lashing a gong with chains, and they sounded useless.

Wire at Electric Ballroom. Paper hats doing tribal dances, while all the punks yelled for "12xu" - their crappiest track anyway. Total disappointment, as their latest LP 154 was excellent and artistic.

Prince at LA Colisseum supporting The Stones. Turd comes on in black underwear and silver lame' cape, singing about how naughty he felt in his underwear. Cue bikers in torn denim jackets at the front to hail him with cans until he buggered off.
Posing twat.

Razorlight for free on Brighton Beach. Pick a chord, not any chord, but play it for the whole song without changing it - but regulate the speed of strumming. The kids will like it, they will like any shite they have been told is the latest thing, and anyway it's free so they'll like that as well.

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Easy for me, The Stuart Adamson Band (laterly Big Country) supporting Alice Cooper at the Centre, around 82-83. They were so bad, their drummer threw his sticks into the crowd after a couple of songs, the crowd threw them back!!!!! They were dreadful. Got booed off soon after.

Sadly, Stuart Hung himself in an Hawaii hotel room 6 or 7 years ago, that's not nice.

Yeah, I saw that gig, I think it was late 1982. Not sure why they were so bad, because eventually they were so good both on record and live. Stuart Adamason is sadly missed.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Tesla & hammy O in 91. Id seen them doing the 'Acoustic jam' thing at the astoria a few months before & they were absolutely amazing. This was a full 'electric' gig & it really was truly shockingly bad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dylan at Wembley circa 1990 - just rubbish

Van Morrison at the Dome about the same time. 45 minutes concert and I'm not sure he spoke at all. Definitley a surly navvy era (I'll have to put that down as disappointing rather than bad as musically he was very good)

Man at the Dome - loud shite

Robert Plant at the Conference centre - pretentious rubbish

Unlike Gwylan I thought Marley was a bit disappointing and he looked f***ing ill too which may have had something to do with it.

Best concert I've seen at the Centre was the Stranglers circa 1980??

Last edited:

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Ian Brown supporting the manics about six years ago at the Brighton Centre.

He was shit to say the least.

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
Worst performance

Ocean colour scene supported by The Real people - Ipswich regent - November 1996......Utter GASH

Best Gig at the Centre was without doubt the Blur singles tour in 2001

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dylan at Wembley circa 1990 - just rubbish

Unlike Gwylan I thought Marley was a bit disappointing and he looked f***ing ill too which may have had something to do with it.

I'll grant you that it wasn't the greatest gig in the world - it wasn't even the best reggae I'd seen that summer - but Marley at half-cock was still better than 95% of other bands.

And I think the looking ill is hindsight, I certainly have no recollection of thinking that.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Space - at the essential festival in Stanmer Park a few years back. They were so pissed they couldn't stand up and resorted to swearing and hurling abuse at the audience after a desultory attempt at 'Female of the Species'.

Drivel........

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll grant you that it wasn't the greatest gig in the world - it wasn't even the best reggae I'd seen that summer - but Marley at half-cock was still better than 95% of other bands.

And I think the looking ill is hindsight, I certainly have no recollection of thinking that.

Can't argue with that, it WAS a good concert. Definitely not hindsight as one of the people with us commented on how lacking in energy he seemed to be in comparison to previous times they'd seen him. Obviously we had no idea how ill he was becoming but he was definitely off colour :)rolleyes:) on the night imo.

Privilege to have seen him though :bowdown:

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
John Cooper Clarke at Uni. He was so so pisspoor.

the mighty Kaliphs supporting Black Grape at the Event 2 in 1995

The Damned in about 1999/2000 at Concorde 2. Shockingly awful

Slightly ironically my worst experience was probably Black Grape, circa 1995 supporting The Stone Roses in Sheffield.
They really were just a bunch of pissed up blokes shouting over loud music.

Coincidentally The Stone Roses performance following them was awesom, and probably the best performance I have seen.
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
RATM (supporting Kiss) at Finsbury Park circa 96/97 f***ing dreadful. Only went to see them as funnily enough Kiss wasn't much of a pull.

They did redeem themselves on more than one occasion after that including a truly AWESOME set at Reading shortly before they split.

Other notable mentions Arctic Monkeys at Reading last year, Killers the year before, Ian Brown at V 98ish and any band with a massive political agenda that spend far too f***ing long prattling on about it than playing records!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
RATM (supporting Kiss) at Finsbury Park circa 96/97 f***ing dreadful. Only went to see them as funnily enough Kiss wasn't much of a pull.

They did redeem themselves on more than one occasion after that including a truly AWESOME set at Reading shortly before they split.

Other notable mentions Arctic Monkeys at Reading last year, Killers the year before, Ian Brown at V 98ish and any band with a massive political agenda that spend far too f***ing long prattling on about it than playing records!

Rage against The Machine at Glastonbury 1996 was the best gig of my life

FACTO

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
brilliant, says it all :)

Won tickets. Made go... :( Significant other of the time loved them, think just to lech... and forced me to use said tickets. Got very very drunk in the bar with all the middle aged men who'd had to bring screaming 13 year old girls along.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here