Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WORST holiday destination you've ever had the misfortune to visit

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Clacton wasn't great,but I did get my first hand job there aged 13.

What the chalet maids would do for a tip.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Estartit on the Costa Brava, my first ever visit to Spain. It rained for 12 out of our 14 days and there was nothing to do if the beach was unusable.

Hired a car and it turned out to be on one of our only two days of sun. We drove to the next resort and stayed there for the day. Put me off Spain for years!!!!!!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The worst holiday I have ever had was in 1989 when we went o Turkey. It started with an 8 hour delay at Gatwick duee to them having to fly a part in for the plane.

This meant that the airport was closed at Izmir so they landed in a military airport followed by a 6 hour coach ride over the mountains to Ortakent. On arrival at the apartotel there was no hot water as it was all heated by solar. That was the last time I used a package holiday. I am sure that Turkey has improved since then as it is now very popular but this was in their early days of being a holiday spot for british tourists.

So Turkey and your tour operator were to blame for your flight delay?

Sidney Crosby

Aug 6, 2014
Borovets in Bulgaria;: ski holiday for 2 weeks. No snow for entire 2 weeks (and, therefore, no skiing); the only items sold in shops and grocery stores an were plastic combs. No soft drinks available to mix with horrible Russian vodka (not too great for the kids). Was also unfortunate to share hotel with a bunch of drunk Arsenal fans, who (every sitting) tasted the 3 times-a-day soup/meal via slurping the ladle from the soup cauldron ... and then placing the gobbed-on remains of soup back into the cauldron. Restaurants on the resort had decent menus... alas. every sing;e item was "off" or "not available" except for breaded horse schnitzel or soup.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Was thinking of going to Dubai in November , might not bother now!

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Dubai can be fantastic it depends what you want from your holiday and your budget. First time we went we stayed in a city hotel for the first 4 nights and we got bored looking round shops, Dubai itself is nothing special at all. Thankfully we had our last 2 nights at the Atlantis and it blew us away.

I have two teenagers who get bored after a few hours on the beach. So we holiday in Orlando and Atlantis, I think of Atlantis as a high end version of Disney which adults can enjoy as much as the kids.

I tell anyone with kids who are thinking of going to Dubai for a week in a city hotel to knock off 3 nights and instead have 4 nights at Atlantis similar price but so much better, best place to get a deal for the hotel is Travelbag as they normally include halfboard for free, which saves around 70 GBP per person per day.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
A lot of references to Burnley, Croydon etc which are not really holiday destinations. Then references to freak weather conditions and delays in the flight. That doesn't make it a bad destinations. Get a grip people!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Would 2nd Magaluf, though it's easy to get a bus into Palma, which improves matters.
For me though, its got to be Johannesburg, went there in 2010 for the World Cup. Had to get taxis everywhere, due to the crime situation. The only place I could walk to in daytime, was a huge shopping mall.
The walk was weird, as every house had metal barriers, barbed wire electric fences and armed security. So depressing.
Was glad to get out of the place to see the rest of what is a beautiful country.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I found Dubai to be particularly lacking in soul.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What is the attraction for people to go to Dubai though? Baffles me.

My ex had friends out there. We did visit some friends who ran an animal breeding centre out in the desert, that was brilliant, seeing all the animals and stuff but the city has no charm at all. It's a fake place for fake people.
Heading out to the desert is good fun. Waddy bashing and land rover racing across the dunes, and the wildlife is pretty amazing. We saw Baboons, cheetahs, wolves, raptors, and even had a baby desert fox that was being hand reared sleeping on the bottom of my bed.
The city is one big shopping mall though. Polished marble and Gucci handbags as far as the eye can see. The Arabs essentially use Asians as slave labour which is hard to witness. Food is ****ing dire, military police are intimidating and everywhere. And the heat, Jimminy Cricket! The bloody heat. We went in May, it was 46 I think. Couldn't stand the midday sun. Went into a cinema to watch Gladiator just to sit in air con. That was shite, the Arabs are a bloodthirsty race and they spoil their children rotten. Cinema was chock full of kids, like 3 to 7 he olds whose parents just let them run riot which they did except when a really gory part came on and they all watched transfixed and cheered . Shithole place, shithole people.

Last edited:

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Disagree, a welcoming and hospitable country. No doubt your view is based on visiting a few tourist honey pots, Kesh, Tangiers etc..

Nope, trying to do a cultural bit...Meknes, Fez, etc. Abandoned the idea after a week and got back to Spain ASAP. Had a lovely time in Ronda, Córdoba etc to forget about the hassle.
Presume the welcome in the 4 and 5 star tourist compounds is wonderfully warm. On the streets it most certainly was not...

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Zante.

Maybe because it was a last minute deal, but me and my mate went to this apartment in the middle of nowhere. Had to walk along a dodgy road to find civilisation. It was bloomin' hot, and I hate heat (which begs the question - why did I go there?). And the biggest annoyance was that we had one room and one bed. And it was 2 weeks. 2 weeks of melting sun and nothing of interest to do. The best part was a local cat that jumped from balcony to balcony, and never fell. Yep, he was nice - the highlight. A CAT was the highlight. Hmm.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I let the family choose this year and it's seems I'm flying out to Cala Grascio (?) a few miles north of San Antonio.
It's in Ibiza.
It is going to be like Benidorm in the early 80's all over again. This time I'll be with kids and the wife.
I don't want to go, even before I've gone :/

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Zante.

Maybe because it was a last minute deal, but me and my mate went to this apartment in the middle of nowhere. Had to walk along a dodgy road to find civilisation. It was bloomin' hot, and I hate heat (which begs the question - why did I go there?). And the biggest annoyance was that we had one room and one bed. And it was 2 weeks. 2 weeks of melting sun and nothing of interest to do. The best part was a local cat that jumped from balcony to balcony, and never fell. Yep, he was nice - the highlight. A CAT was the highlight. Hmm.

Can I recommend you stick to tried and trusted GREEK islands next time. I believe Zakynthos is supposed to be particularly nice :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here