Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - The Final ….. finally.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Will anyone at all watch on ITV? As with every football match and tournament they have ever been involved with, their coverage has been utterly abysmal.
When I opened the thread and looked down the match information, my first thought was, great, its on BBC.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Couldn't care less that one of our players plays for them.
Agree. Happy if he plays well, but that’s it. There is no bone in my body that wants Argentina to win, but I have felt their name has been on the cup for a while so I’m kind of resigned it it happening. One thing for sure is that I won’t be watching them walk up to lift the trophy if it happens, the off button will firmly have been employed by then.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think the two best teams at the WC are the ones in the final.

But who are the best teams not in the final?

Brazil?
Spain?
England?
Another?

(Note to all Swedes on the forum - I know you want to say 'those in 3rd and 4th places', but your challenge is to resist the temptation. You can do this Swanny).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For me, there's no reason why I'd want France to win... not like they play thrilling football, or haven't won in a while, or got a bunch of likeable players...

Argentina on the other hand... Ali Mac, Messi signing off with a WC win and Scaloni is a very likeable guy.

That said, really won't be too bothered regardless of the result. Don't really have a dog in this horse, will be a fairly calm viewing. Hoping for a good game but think it will be quite stale and tense.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think the two best teams at the WC are the ones in the final.

But who are the best teams not in the final?

Brazil?
Spain?
England?
Another?

(Note to all Swedes on the forum - I know you want to say 'those in 3rd and 4th places', but your challenge is to resist the temptation. You can do this Swanny).
Those you mentioned + Portugal and Croatia (you don't get top 3 two tournaments in a row due to luck) are probably the best on paper with Germany and Belgium slightly behind. Best-on-paper doesn't win you any tournaments however.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Those you mentioned + Portugal and Croatia (you don't get top 3 two tournaments in a row due to luck) are probably the best on paper with Germany and Belgium slightly behind. Best-on-paper doesn't win you any tournaments however.
Yep.

The also rans - Holland, Belgium and Germany were disappointing. But if I'm honest, I've been - slightly disappointed with the quality of everyone at the WC, except for a few flashes of brilliance from several individuals. There has been no standout country for me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yep.

The also rans - Holland, Belgium and Germany were disappointing. But if I'm honest, I've been - slightly disappointed with the quality of everyone at the WC, except for a few flashes of brilliance from several individuals. There has been no standout country for me.
I agree there has been no standout country but that has also made it a bit more unpredictable and tight than it usually is. Some previous tournaments have been straight up boring... 2010 is one example where it was just one tedious journey to the Spanish victory.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I agree there has been no standout country but that has also made it a bit more unpredictable and tight than it usually is. Some previous tournaments have been straight up boring... 2010 is one example where it was just one tedious journey to the Spanish victory.
Your first point is interesting. Perhaps it is due to there being no standout country, but perhaps there are other factors. We've had the emergence of a few African countries (I think the gap between them and Europe is narrowing, maybe because many African players now play in Europe anyway). We've also has the absence of Italy and the failure of Germany.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If we get anything like the Round of 16 game from 4 years ago, we'll be in for an absolute treat.

Sadly, as it's a Final, we probably won't.

Argentina to win on penalties.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
My wonderful daughter in law is Argentine by birth and Spanish by passport. Her Parents, who I like by the way, are 100% Argentine and are coming round for Christmas dinner as they are over here for Christmas, and the thought of them tangoing up the driveway with knowing looks and smirks should they win, is simply too much to bear.

Again... Allez Les Bleus.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
For me, there's no reason why I'd want France to win... not like they play thrilling football, or haven't won in a while, or got a bunch of likeable players...

Argentina on the other hand... Ali Mac, Messi signing off with a WC win and Scaloni is a very likeable guy.

That said, really won't be too bothered regardless of the result. Don't really have a dog in this horse, will be a fairly calm viewing. Hoping for a good game but think it will be quite stale and tense.
"Don't have a dog in this horse" - is that some obscure Swedish statement? What on earth is it's derivation??

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
E43F8D1F-4355-420E-A02A-260DFCAFD4DD.jpeg
82FECD67-1FD0-4591-8261-63DC2DD8DC0F.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here