Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Day Fourteen... The knockout stages begin.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The over the top Messi praise is similar to the attention Jimmy White got every year at the Snooker World Championships.

I think it comes from people wanting to see a truly gifted player succeed at the pinnacle tournament of their respected sport.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think what bugs me so much about the Messi hype is the way he gets absolutely gushing praise for doing really quite basic stuff. That goal was a decent finish which most top level players would expect to take in that position, but because it’s Messi it’s “a moment of magic” and “world class”.

If Rashford or Foden score exactly the same goal tomorrow they’ll get a tenth of the praise for it.
But it was a great finish, blocked off by two defenders but he threaded through the legs of one and just beyond the ‘keeper. I’m sure if anyone else scores like that they will get similar praise.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is anybody else irrationally annoyed when commentators trot out the records when a team scores first.

So you're telling me, in a sport where games are often decided by a single goal, scoring first... is an advantage?
No team has ever won when falling behind less than 30 seconds before the final whistle.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I thought it was an assist from Mac Can anybody confirm this because BBC give a different player

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But it was a great finish, blocked off by two defenders but he threaded through the legs of one and just beyond the ‘keeper. I’m sure if anyone else scores like that they will get similar praise.
This. It was a brilliant goal. Unphased by the apparent lack of space, he created the opening out of very little.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Whoops

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
OK Maty Ryan having to come out to meet Messi et al but WHAT A BLUNDER there!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Shock…

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
951FEDA4-E434-4262-B1A1-C5BA0E1229D1.jpeg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bit harsh.
The games not played in slo-mo, I bet in real time through all those legs, Ryan didn't have a chance.

Jocko hammered the ball in, the fella didn't have a chance to close control, but it popped out to Lesser Mac Allister who hit it first time.

You've got to expect a goal 9 times out of 10.

It was in the middle of the goal and down so slowly for it, you would expect a top keeper to do better for it in my view, it wasn’t really hit with power either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here