Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] World class Albion players ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do we have any ? Was Lawrenson in that category ?

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
For me any conversation about who is the best DM in the Premier League has to include Caicedo. Rodri maybe but Caicedo has to be part of that conversation. I don’t watch enough European league games to say he’s actually one of the best in Europe but I wouldn’t be surprised. Not every player develops their full potential but if Caicedo does he would have to be considered World Class ?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The problem with the term ‘world class’ is that everyone has their own definition. You’d have to give a definition that we all work to decide whether we have / have had world class players.
It's as subjective as anything else.
For some reason some people seem to think some players can be definitely and objectively "world class", even while acknowledging that any other description is a matter of opinion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Mac Allister objectively one of the best players in the world this past year.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Our best buy since promotion and biggest miss when out, is Gross. Give me 2 more like him and I will be very happy.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
"World class" means ranking amongst the world's best. So how highly does a player need to rank to be world class? Top ten in their position? Top five? Measured against all those that ever played or are playing now?

I'll go with current top ten in their position.

Caicedo is the most likely one, I can't name 10 better DMs.
Big Mac has a lot of competition so is a maybe for me.
Estupinian could be creeping in there, I can't think of 10 better left backs in the world.
Players like Mitoma and all the kids need a longer period of magnificence before they can stake a claim.
Of the old guard, whilst all are obviously fantastic, it would be hard to make a case for them. Maybe Dunk but again there is a lot of competition.

In answer to the OP: yes at least one. And I am too young to remember that old guy you mentioned.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
"World class" means ranking amongst the world's best. So how highly does a player need to rank to be world class? Top ten in their position? Top five? Measured against all those that ever played or are playing now?

I'll go with current top ten in their position.

Caicedo is the most likely one, I can't name 10 better DMs.
Big Mac has a lot of competition so is a maybe for me.
Estupinian could be creeping in there, I can't think of 10 better left backs in the world.
Players like Mitoma and all the kids need a longer period of magnificence before they can stake a claim.
Of the old guard, whilst all are obviously fantastic, it would be hard to make a case for them. Maybe Dunk but again there is a lot of competition.

In answer to the OP: yes at least one. And I am too young to remember that old guy you mentioned.
Is it possible to be a world class utility player?
There's a few players who any manager would give a nut to sign, because they significantly improve their chance of actually winning things over the whole season, who would never be brought up in a discussion of "world class" players in any one position they could be dumped in.

Jason Steele. What other goal keeper in world football could play as a centre back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here