Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] World Baseball Classic & Major League Baseball 2023

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I watched last night and saw the DBacks blow about 8 or 9 runners in scoring position when it was still tied at 0-0. I went to bed in the 6th innings knowing from my 50-odd years of watching sport that you don't get to waste that many chances without it biting you on the arse later.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
FFS. Why did it have to be the Rangers? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Bautista STILL has a sore chin.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1698938449683.png

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Commiserations AZ Gull. These DBacks remind me a lot of the 2014 Royals, so here's to next season
Congratulations to the Rangers - no complaints from me. I think it is good for the sport to have new Champions.

Looking forward, I just hope we are able to add the 3 or 4 key additions that will enable us to remain competitive for the next handful of seasons. For a team like the Diamondbacks these windows of opportunity come around rarely and don't last long.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I watched last night and saw the DBacks blow about 8 or 9 runners in scoring position when it was still tied at 0-0. I went to bed in the 6th innings knowing from my 50-odd years of watching sport that you don't get to waste that many chances without it biting you on the arse later.
I think the difference in this series was that Texas had a handful of players who were able to meet the moment and come up with the big hit, out or defensive play that ultimately won games. I doff my cap to Corey Seager (one of the great post-season players), Nathan Eovaldi and Adolis Garcia (who created history this post-season).

Both teams lost over 100 games two years ago and have done an incredible job in re-building, albeit in VERY different ways. Texas splashed the cash and reaped the results this season. The D'backs don't have that option but masterfully put together a rag-tag squad of grizzled veterans, baby-faced rookies and (mainly) cheap free-agents. It was a complete rollercoaster this season and the post-season run came out of nowhere. I heard that World Series Game 4 on Tuesday was the FIRST D'backs game during the post-season that they had been the betting favourites prior to the game - they've literally defied the odds.

I'm disappointed this morning, but also thankful for what has been an incredible ride this season - it really is what sport is all about.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the difference in this series was that Texas had a handful of players who were able to meet the moment and come up with the big hit, out or defensive play that ultimately won games. I doff my cap to Corey Seager (one of the great post-season players), Nathan Eovaldi and Adolis Garcia (who created history this post-season).

Both teams lost over 100 games two years ago and have done an incredible job in re-building, albeit in VERY different ways. Texas splashed the cash and reaped the results this season. The D'backs don't have that option but masterfully put together a rag-tag squad of grizzled veterans, baby-faced rookies and (mainly) cheap free-agents. It was a complete rollercoaster this season and the post-season run came out of nowhere. I heard that World Series Game 4 on Tuesday was the FIRST D'backs game during the post-season that they had been the betting favourites prior to the game - they've literally defied the odds.

I'm disappointed this morning, but also thankful for what has been an incredible ride this season - it really is what sport is all about.
An honourable mention to the Orioles who lost 110 games 2 years ago yet won the AL East before bombing in the post-season. I hope they keep that team together and kick on in 2024.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Spot on. D-backs had an incredible season and should take more credit than the Rangers in terms of Moneyball metrics per $ spent. I don't follow the National League in anywhere near the detail I do the AL but I know that NL West division is ridiculously competitive with the behemoth Dodgers, Giants and $$$splash Padres. It was great to watch the huge contrast in offensive style between the smallball speedsters and the mash-it monsters. What both teams had in common was a terrific defence and perhaps that was a big part of the clutch difference in the end - no errors from the Rangers and Adolis's cannon in right that got a crunch out at the plate - 2 inexplicable errors from Arizona at key times.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
...What both teams had in common was a terrific defence and perhaps that was a big part of the clutch difference in the end - no errors from the Rangers and Adolis's cannon in right that got a crunch out at the plate - 2 inexplicable errors from Arizona at key times.
Yep - the D'backs pride themselves on doing the basics well, so the bobble from Christian Walker (one of the best defensive first-basemen in the game) that prevented him setting up the double-play and ultimately led to 5 runs in that 3rd inning in game 4, and the complete whiff by centre-fielder Alek Thomas on that ball in the ninth in game 5 were bizarre. Thomas might never make a similar mistake for the rest of his career! I'm sure my jaw literally dropped when that happened!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
1-clubhouse-960x750.jpg

*HOT STOVE SEASON*

Disappointed to see Soto traded away to the Yankees, but with only 1yr remaining before he could've walked for nothing, it makes sense.

Will certainly miss his slugging, as he was by far the best bat on the roster...but, in Michael King they have picked up a decent RP / possible starter on the mound (I had him on my fantasy team and he had the hot arm through Sept, and finished the season with great stats on a poor NYY team) as well as some other arm talent to add to the squad....something we were desperately missing in SD last season with a very poor bullpen. Higashioka will be a serviceable backup to Campusano behind the plate as well for a year, when needed.

Any other moves that people like / dont like from their respective teams so far this winter?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
If anyone is interested, JD Sports has a big MLB sale online atm.
Got myself a Padres jersey for £40 instead of £80....and there are lots of t-shirts & hats in a range of teams available.

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Heres one for @Barry Izbak

Bought this on eBay for £4.50 the other day. A hardback coffee table book by National Geographic, which was produced for a travelling Cooperstown HoF exhibition a few years ago. Had it delivered this morning, opened it up, and on the first page was this...Ozzie Smiths autograph! Nothing about that in the advert, so really pleased for less than a fiver! - especially as he also played for my Padres before the Cards.
Checked online and the book came with no pre-printed signatures originally - so guessing this is authentic, & was maybe obtained by someone during the tour?
No idea how it came to be in an eBay UK book store though!

Happy Days 😁 ⚾

20240126_120542-01_resized.jpeg
20240126_120608-01_resized.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here