Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Work place overused sayings

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
A saying I could always remember when I was with a certain company was " It will be good experience for you ". This was usually always the prelude to disaster as it was a job/procedure that my line manager had already identified as being crappy/pointless/impossible.

You mean a 'development opportunity' surely?

Brainstorming was overused until it was killed due to epilepsy.

Heard this referred to as a 'thought shower' in a meeting the other week. Inevitably, laughter happened.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Keep me in the loop, yeah?

I just wanted to keep you in the loop.

Hi XXX, just to keep you in the loop, I'm devising a strategy that is sure to keep you in the loop and if I haven't kept you in the loop then please feel free to throw this strategy in the loop or the bin and then cut my arm off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
''I'm cutting off''

An arbitrary situation where you have decided there's too much post to deliver.
By 'cutting off' you are saying you won't deliver all the post on your usual round, but will still get paid a full days pay.

Should the manager be unable to cover the cut off, and if the next day happens to be 'easier'.
You will find yourself taking the cut off out on delivery and be paid over time for delivering it.

I'll give you a couple of moments to digest that, before I answer any questions :lol:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How about "Pushing the Elephant", or "The Envelope in the Room"...... or maybe that should be the other way round.

What's the point of pushing an envelope?

And if there was an elephant in the room, I don't think you could avoid talking about it.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
We had a boss once that used to make us refer to challenging situations as opportunities. In the morning meeting, he'd say: "any opportunities today?" What he should have said was "any issues today?"

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My boss constantly uses the word "challenge": "My challenge to you is.....", "It's a fair challenge, right?" I don't find it that easy on the ear.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You can't say '**** me that's never going to happen' anymore. You can only say it'll be a challenge.

I used to say that a lot when i worked at my old place of work...the boss didn't really like it all that much. I wasn't overly fussed though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here