Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Work place overused sayings

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Not many construction sayings I see.

"Stevie wonder would love to see it", hate this one, used by painters a lot.

"that's all over the place"

And a lot of smut and filth in between.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
'Paddle my/your own canoe'

I have never heard this in my work but my other half uses it at hers and has started saying it at home occasionally, it really grates on me.

Have you asked her what it means?
I am reading this thread like I am reading a foreign language, but I have never worked in an office, a few people have said "touch base" to me and I always say to them that I have never heard that term before, please explain? It always makes them look silly.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not many construction sayings I see.

"Stevie wonder would love to see it", hate this one, used by painters a lot.

"that's all over the place"

And a lot of smut and filth in between.

This exactly.
I think in construction we use plain English, (apart from the swearing), if you started using some of the terms on this thread on a site you would just get abuse!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
To kick something into the long grass, as in to give a task a reduced priority in the short term in order to give greater prioritisation to something else.

Also, I find that the term ASAP is so grossly overused now that it has lot its meaning. You get some people that ask for things ASAP when in fact they do not actually need what it is they are after until next week, whereas there are others who want something ASAP as in within the next 10 minutes. Common sense normally means you can deduce what needs resolving in 10 minutes and what can wait a day or so, but I much prefer people giving a requested timescale on things and then everyone knows where they are.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Win/win

Managing expectations

Raising the bar

Keep hearing a lot about the 'perfect storm'

And....Starting in the Backfoot

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
On the acronyms, daftest one I ever saw was when working for a very big US company [not going to mention the name here] and in a monthly team meeting we were reviewing financial performance and one column of figures was labeled "HNK"

I had to ask, so glad I did, NO ONE in the room knew either. Director agreed to "take an action" to find out and report back at the next meeting.

Unbelievable Americanism - it refers to committed signed orders / contracts and stands for .........

Hey No Kidding

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
I was once doing some project work at one of the big stockbrokers in London, and we were given a warning to say that the phrase 'brainstorming' was politically incorrect and shouldn't be used. Apparently it is offensive to epileptic people...

We were told to use the phrase 'thought shower' instead...

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
All major vomit inducers:

Cascading
Running it up the flag pole and seeing who salutes
Taking this offline
Not forgetting the worst "touching base".

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
my old boss used to to say when we had someone from another site working from ours " so and so will be hot desking from here tomorrow " .

everyone else hated it

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
"Get him in his straight jacket"- It pisses me off when I hear this, I can put it on myself!

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
"you need to see the bigger picture"

Often accompanying a mass of extra workload for my team as others aren't so well run. I see the bigger picture, and it's of a big pile of shit.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Champion. As in Stationary (sic) Cupboard Champion.

Everyone's a 'champion' in my workplace. I hate it.

Also, everything requires a meeting, and as there's 'too many chiefs and not enough Indians', we are always 'thin on the ground.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here