Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Work place overused sayings

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
VR?

Does your company make everything an acronym. Everything is an acronym in my office.

VR = Voluntary Redundancy = big pay-off.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Lean.

If you know, you'll understand. If you don't know, I envy you.

Lean became Pacesetter (aka Facesitter) but that term is rarely mentioned now we are on the continuous improvement journey.

I think we are supposed to be embedded at some time, so maybe not all bad?

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
'I'll ping you an email'

How the **** do you 'ping' an email then?!
Hate that saying with a passion! You send an email, not PING an email..!!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I admit that i use 'Close of play'...but then i'm a Cricket fan.

Personally, i hate every instance and anyone that uses the phrase 'Doing business'. No-one 'does business', they discuss, they work together, they buy/sell...it's irrational, but it really f**ks me off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you and your oh so manly hands show me how to program this computer Herr Tubthumper?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I admit that i use 'Close of play'...but then i'm a Cricket fan.

Personally, i hate every instance and anyone that uses the phrase 'Doing business'. No-one 'does business', they discuss, they work together, they buy/sell...it's irrational, but it really f**ks me off.

Yes I use Close of Play as well but I'm ALSO a Cricket Fan.

Nice to see your old Avatar back by the way! :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One I remember being very heavily used Offshore was Step Change

As in: Our health and safety culture can't progress without a Step Change

I'm a H&S Professional and had absolutely NO idea what the f*ck they were talking about......

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
"Proactive" it doesn't f***ing mean anything, it's a made up word for doing stuff!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
don't want to appear rude, but that comment just makes me smirk.

You may smirk as much as you want, not only am I a qualified Health and Safety Consultant but I am also a Visiting Lecturer in the subject at a London University.

It has been a very interesting career which has taken me into loads of different workplaces in the UK and also Europe and has worked out pretty well financially as well. :thumbsup:

Tell me what do you do for a living and I will try not to be rude about your career?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Hate it. It's so pretentious. What's wrong with: have it on my desk/inbox by the end of Thursday?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You may smirk as much as you want, not only am I a qualified Health and Safety Consultant but I am also a Visiting Lecturer in the subject at a London University.

It has been a very interesting career which has taken me into loads of different workplaces in the UK and also Europe and has worked out pretty well financially as well. :thumbsup:

Tell me what do you do for a living and I will try not to be rude about your career?

He will disappear now Jakarta, I asked the same question last week and he was off like a rocket.
You have a good job as a friend of mine is in the same line of work.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A saying I could always remember when I was with a certain company was " It will be good experience for you ". This was usually always the prelude to disaster as it was a job/procedure that my line manager had already identified as being crappy/pointless/impossible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here