Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
"Hello Tony, I was wondering, is there any chance we could have a chat with Gussy about coming here to Wolves as manager? We'd obviously be willing to pay you some compo for him not seeing out his ciontract with you?
"No! Bye."

The End.

I realy wish this was the conversation

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Let's not get too precious about this. Wolves are currently in the Premiership, and we are not. If Gus thinks they are a good prospect, he will be off. Those who think Wolves is a sideways move are a little bit misguided, in my opinion.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Those who think Wolves is a sideways move are a little bit misguided, in my opinion.

some people on here have totally lost all sense of perspective about the Albion.

but, with all the stadium redevelopment at Wolves there is a genuine question mark about their short term ability to put forward a decent playing budget

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Let's not get too precious about this. Wolves are currently in the Premiership, and we are not. If Gus thinks they are a good prospect, he will be off. Those who think Wolves is a sideways move are a little bit misguided, in my opinion.

I know where you're coming from and logically you are correct.......... however......

Wolves are in decline, given their results and recent struggles.
IF Gus went to Wolves, inevitably he would want them to play football in the correct way (his style). How long that take given their style under Mick McCarthy? At least 2, maybe 3 months, remembering it took us 3/4 months, during which time we had a poor run. By the time he has sorted them out, they will be deep in the relegation mire and unlikely to survive. So next season they would find themselves lining up at the Amex. All very hypothetical I know.

Lush

Mods' Pet
No way will he go anywhere but a Top 6 club Premier Club and not until he's learnt his trade.

Here he's the top banana, new stadium, solvent club, great city, no problems attracting decent players (loans or otherwise) if the money is right, decent training ground being developed, can dictate everything from the size of the pitch to the staffing of every position up to board level.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought Steve Morgan said that he was looking for an experienced manager. I don't think someone with two and a bit years (and none of it in the PL) quite fits that bill. And, if it's true that Curbishley turned Wolves down as the contract wasn't long enough, I can't see Gus "Five year deal" Poyet looking too keen either.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
B&HFC is Bigger than Gus Poyet. His choice - we will survive and thrive regardless. If he went I would be grateful for his contribution, but nothing more

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't for one minute think this has any substance, but, if Wolves did make an approach, I think Gus would think long and hard. It would give Gus immediate Premiership experience, even if he couldn't stop them coming down, his budget would be one of the top in the Championship to enable him to mount a serious challenge at promotion.

He's got it all here, except for a promotion budget.

If the question is put to Gus, it's not certain he would stay.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
No way will he go anywhere but a Top 6 club Premier Club and not until he's learnt his trade.

Here he's the top banana, new stadium, solvent club, great city, no problems attracting decent players (loans or otherwise) if the money is right, decent training ground being developed, can dictate everything from the size of the pitch to the staffing of every position up to board level.

Is the right answer. Gus knows which side his bread is buttered. And I suspect he will know when it is time to move on. And when he does I hope we can say "thanks for the good times, good luck with your new club".

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
At this moment in time Wolves are a bigger club than us. Whether Gus fancies it is another matter though. He has plenty to do here yet before we get the 'taken the club as far as I can' line.
Just noticed that the 2nd phase of Wolves ground development has no start date yet. So their capacity will be 31k when the present stand is finished.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
B&HFC is Bigger than Gus Poyet. His choice - we will survive and thrive regardless. If he went I would be grateful for his contribution, but nothing more

Exactly. It wouldn't surprise me if this offer turned Poyet's head but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. bha is definetly bigger than Gus Poyet, if he does go we'll be well compensated and be in a position to attract some very decent applicants.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
and I don't want a complete f***ing idiot as our manager.

The man's a f***ing idiot, and my prediction for us to go down is looking better than ever.

Just in case you'd forgotten like.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

If he goes he goes. Sick of fing worrying about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
At some point Gus will go, I hope it's when we're on a high, and that he goes somewhere that can really be considered a step up into the big time.

As things stand, we're a work in progress, there's massive scope to take the project further, and Wolves are a struggling Prem side looking for a quick fix.

I'd advise him to stay. But I do have a feeling he's thinking pretty seriously about his next career move.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Exactly. It wouldn't surprise me if this offer turned Poyet's head but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. bha is definetly bigger than Gus Poyet, if he does go we'll be well compensated and be in a position to attract some very decent applicants.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Wolves isn't a sideways move (let's not kid ourselves), but its not a massive step up, and one that could set Gus' reputation back several years. All about risk analysis, I would be amazed if he fancies this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here