Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

woking fans dont seem v happy about the draw

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
i was just browsing on a woking forum and they are moaning they havent got a big tie as its only a small ground and they wont get much cash but currently we are top of league one and playing some great stuff you would think they would be happy to play us to see if they have got what it takes to compete at a higher level

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can see it from their perspective quite easily.

As a non league club you want a home tie, a glamorous away tie at a big League club with a decent ground and the chance to make some cash, or a team you feel confident of beating.

The Albion away ticks none of those boxes really does it?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You can see their point I suppose. Although at least it is close and depending on pricing there should be at least 5,000 there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with Edna, I'm sure they privately wanted Saints away for all sorts of reasons - or alternatively a home tie with more of a chance. The away end at Withdean is not your glamour day out.

Great stuff about FC United wining today though. Rochdale next, biggest game in their history.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Oh yes I can completely understand! Woking, a non-league club, are playing Brighton, top of league one. Ok not at a very luxorious stadium, however, Woking will be playing in front of Gustavo Poyet, Uruguayan international and FA Cup winner!

Oh how unfortunate the Woking fans must be :facepalm:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh yes I can completely understand! Woking, a non-league club, are playing Brighton, top of league one. Ok not at a very luxorious stadium, however, Woking will be playing in front of Gustavo Poyet, Uruguayan international and FA Cup winner!

Oh how unfortunate the Woking fans must be :facepalm:

Come on, nobody's saying they're unfortunate, just that we can see why it's not the draw they wanted.

Picture the 3rd round: we're all hoping for Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool...and we draw QPR away. That, on a smaller scale, is where Woking are right now.

Do you think they should be painting their faces and getting the rosettes and giant foil FA Cup cut outs ready or something?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I totally sympathise with them. Withdean is not exactly one of football's great stadia - not even by third division standards. They were probably hoping for a home game or at least a decent away trip. Instead they get to sit in the open air miles from the pitch at a tiny converted athletics ground. Bum draw.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
I can see their point. If you're gonna get an away draw, you want it to be in a nice stadium and not some little shack on an athletics stadium.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Come on, nobody's saying they're unfortunate, just that we can see why it's not the draw they wanted.

Picture the 3rd round: we're all hoping for Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool...and we draw QPR away. That, on a smaller scale, is where Woking are right now.

Do you think they should be painting their faces and getting the rosettes and giant foil FA Cup cut outs ready or something?

Exactamundo. Now if this was the 2011 draw totally different story.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think the point is that they will assume that they are on for a hiding and the infamous Withdean away end is no-ones idea of a great day out.

Still, once they get round to planning for a weekend on the piss by the seaside and start to think that maybe Gus will field the reserves they will feel better about it.

Elvis Hammond has only just joined them and if he bangs in some more goals in their next couple of games they will begin to feel a whole lot more confident.

I reckon they will bring 400 or so down for a crowd of about 5,200 in total so not a big earner for them unless they do spring a surprise. The chances of that are down to Gus - who he picks and more crucially perhaps, how he motivates them. We had a good side out on paper against Orient but clearly Gus' view of the paintpot trophy had spread to his team who just didn't perform.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I know it's stating the obvious but if it was 2011 they would be wetting their knickers over this tie, seeing as it's not the reality is they have been drawn against the strongest team in the competion, so their little cup adventure is likely the come to an end at one of the worst stadiumms in the top 5 divisions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They've drawn the team at the very top of the pool of teams in the draw and reasonably local and still they moan?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'd be disappointed as a Woking fan as well. Yes, we're the top team in the draw, but

Shit stadium
Little chance of getting a result (you would hope)
Not going to make much money out of it

In their position I would have preferred a winnable home tie, or someone like Sheffield Wednesday or South Coast Club away

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I feel sorry for them, they are going to go out, and they aint going to get any cash and it is a shit stadium, really is no reason to get excited at the fixture.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I just hope that whatever side Gus puts, they don't underestimate the opposition. I lived just up the road from another 'Albion' when their supporters were expecting a cricket score against Woking in The Cup. It ended with the then WBA player manager getting a fans' shirt thrown at him on the pitch; & many a Baggies supporter in floods of tears. Luckily, I found their pain all very amusing at the time (even though most of the away support looked like they'd taken the wrong turning to their local gymkhana).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here