Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

withdean the good points?

well I only knew it '85 onwards, but I loved being on the North Stand as a teenager and beyond. I know comparing that terrace to the all-seater Amex is apples and oranges, but they were good days. That first view of the floodlit pitch as you got to the top of the steps on evening games will stay with me til the day I die.

I think for those sat in the west stand at the Goldstone its a no-brainer that the Amex is miles better.

can't beat your first night game:thumbsup: Its close to magic:mad:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gotta say I'm surprised I'm the first to say this:

The Sportsman.

Much preferred it as a pre-game pub to Dick's Bar, which just feels like a glorified conference room to me.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Gotta say I'm surprised I'm the first to say this:

The Sportsman.

Much preferred it as a pre-game pub to Dick's Bar, which just feels like a glorified conference room to me.

WW said it first :)

Factor in the wait for Dicks anytime after about 12.30 and I think it was quicker to get served in the sportsman. JUST.

Def the walk from the station to the ground, In the pub by 2 , 2.5 pints then a quick stroll down to be in the South stand by 5 to 3.

Also the fact that it felt like everyone was in it together, the poor games, the bad weather, not the same feeling now that more people have jumped on the 'success' bandwagon - Though even I admit the club had to change from the ad hoc way it was being run.

Oh and free transport - not pay £30 for a booklet of stubs or 'We'll just add it to your season ticket without asking but call it a price freeze' but actually free, with every ticket!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Has anyone mentioned chips? I like chips mmmmmmm. I have to buy mine on the way to Lewes station now!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
How many people do you reckon the Goldstone would hold nowadays with everyone seated?

about 6,500

what I miss about withdean is finding a use for these now. I've got loads of them at hime and now we have a roof, they are redundant!!!
plastic-poncho-297x300.jpg

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
about 6,500

what I miss about withdean is finding a use for these now. I've got loads of them at hime and now we have a roof, they are redundant!!!
plastic-poncho-297x300.jpg

Okay thanks.
As for the rain macs, maybe you could sell them to people in the front row of the North Stand? :thumbsup:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'd echo the comments on the support. Even to watch a winning side, putting up with that for 12 years took some loyalty. All the good things about that place weren't actually about the stadium at all.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Am I the only person that actually liked Withdean ? I wouldnt try to claim that I enjoyed everything about it but it served its purpose and kept the club alive, thats good enough for me.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Def the walk from the station to the ground, In the pub by 2 , 2.5 pints then a quick stroll down to be in the South stand by 5 to 3.

Also the fact that it felt like everyone was in it together, the poor games, the bad weather, not the same feeling now that more people have jumped on the 'success' bandwagon - Though even I admit the club had to change from the ad hoc way it was being run.

Oh and free transport - not pay £30 for a booklet of stubs or 'We'll just add it to your season ticket without asking but call it a price freeze' but actually free, with every ticket!

Except the transport wasn't free, it was just factored in to ALL ticket prices from day one (as it will be now).

Am I the only person that actually liked Withdean ? I wouldnt try to claim that I enjoyed everything about it but it served its purpose and kept the club alive, thats good enough for me.

no - i liked it too.
Miss all the people we used to sit with who are scattered around the Amex now.
Miss the trees, squirrels, fireworks, chips etc.

thats not to say of course that i don't love the Amex but i have fond memories of lots of things from Withers.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
the other 6k nutjobs that stayed with the club rain or shine .

This.
In a strange way, standing in the pissing rain, soaked through, with dozens of people you recognised from the first season to the last was to a degree almost quite rewarding. Some weeks you could almost sense people looking at each other thinking, what the hell am I doing here?
Milwall at home comes to mind, we thrashed them, but i've never been so wet in my life. Nevertheless, it was somehow EXTREMELY enjoyable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here