Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

withdean the good points?

Three Championships, a play off promotion and Zamora. It may have been a dump but it was the City Council dump and we rented it off them.

Wouldn't swap it for the Amex though.

Three Championships, a play off promotion and Zamora. It may have been a dump but it was the City Council dump and we rented it off them.

Wouldn't swap it for the Amex though.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
For me , the only good thing about Withdean is that it got us back to Brighton. I miss it about as much as I miss having a broken neck.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The thing is the goldstone of the late 80's and 90's was a very different place to the goldstone of the 70's i would swap for the 70's goldstone:thumbsup: but not the 85 onwards goldstone:sick:

well I only knew it '85 onwards, but I loved being on the North Stand as a teenager and beyond. I know comparing that terrace to the all-seater Amex is apples and oranges, but they were good days. That first view of the floodlit pitch as you got to the top of the steps on evening games will stay with me til the day I die.

I think for those sat in the west stand at the Goldstone its a no-brainer that the Amex is miles better.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I liked hunkering down in my Albion plastic hoody kagoul thing and listening to the rain on the hood.

And I loved going back to my mum and dad afterwards where we parked outside. My dad loved to hear about the match over a cup of tea. Sadly both passed away after the season ended, so Withdean ending really was the end of an era.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Chips, South stand madness at a last min goal, the gallows humour we had, Darren Currie, Pethic, the first goal of the milenium by Freedman, Ponchos, 'hit the bar, hit the bar, hit the bar. And much more. the screamer.

Last two seasons I moved to the NS with my old man, I hated it, Withdean was depressing anyway but being sat in silence, unable to sing with Richard Reynolds behind me doing his shit stand up routines to his chums. Those were the worst days, dark dark days indeed.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The manager/sub walk from the tunnel to the dugout - enabling perfect standing ovation/abuse opportunities.

Sportsman Carvery

Easy to meet all your mates at half time.

The humour in the early years, before everything got a bit 'goony' as the football worsened.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
The walk to and from the ground. Match day travel is the only thing I dont like about the Amex. At withers and the GG it was part of the experience that I enjoyed.

Sitting there so wet that all you could do was laugh. I love having a roof but a little part of me enjoyed getting soaked for the cause.

The firework when we scored.

The trees.

The screamer.

There was very rarely a boring season. Whether it was up or down we were entertained.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Convenience ... just a 2 minute walk.

Access for the masses to harangue the likes of never-a-champ-Adkins.

100% loyal fan base.

Surprisingly good view from the south stand.

Fresh air & sun on the better days.

Agree, but 100% loyal fan base?

There were as many whingers at the Withdean as there were at the Goldstone, are posters on here and attend the Amex today.

I also liked the trophies.

I love the Albion so manage to have good memories no matter where they are. Wouldn't swap any previous homes for the Amex though.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Watching the ladies do their aerobics classes (looking across the pitch from South Stand) during some of the nightgames kept me entertained

Chips and curry sauce

The first Adams team with Bobby Z utterly restored my faith in supprorting the Albion

Owning away team managers before they painted the dugouts to give them some privacy / respite

Jumping in a cab at 2.55pm from Brighton station (after a last cheeky one) and getting to game on time

Original firework goal celebrations

The sound of the trees - which also emphasised how tinpot the ground was

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The stewards at Preston Park station who haplessly tried to convince us there was "no access to Withdean stadium"

del_boy

Jul 3, 2012
BN1
good points...

back in brighton a step closer to the amex.

chips, and being able to just about get away with smoking a sneaky snout at half time until getting noticed then stamping it out and apologising I didn't know it was non-smoking its outside.

i don't miss it.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Some pictures to capture Withdeans finest points......

Attachments

• sunnywithdean.jpg
    sunnywithdean.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 27
  • post-match-celebration1.jpg
    post-match-celebration1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 132
  • P1040549.JPG
    P1040549.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • picture%20024%20(2).jpg
    picture%20024%20(2).jpg