Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2023

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs V has just turned in the telly and its mixed doubles, it looks like the last round of Scrabble.. Pav/Kic v Vli/Xu ..." sorry, I can't go "

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I wonder who started the trend of taking more balls than they need and throwing them away? So disrespectful to the ball boys / girls.
And why does every player copy that?
Sinner is taking it to another level.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Eh, if I was trying to stay rational and level-headed I'd say that Djokovic is unbeatable at Wimbledon even this year, and that giving his opponents hope just to crush it in the end is exactly what he does.

I think and I hope that Jannik will play well, but as with anyone that faces Novak I don't know if that will be reflected in the result. Djokovic has a peculiar power to bend the result to his will even when he isn't playing that well and the opponent is playing amazingly. He's just so good in big pressure points.

[...] the reality of it is what matters - and the reality of it is made of episodes and moments.
As I was saying... :down:

It never gets any less devastating, no matter how much you've convinced yourself that you're prepared to see your favourite lose to Djokovic.

Edit: Now I hope Novak plays at least this well in the final, it would be so frustrating if he somehow dropped after this

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I wonder who started the trend of taking more balls than they need and throwing them away? So disrespectful to the ball boys / girls.
And why does every player copy that?
Sinner is taking it to another level.
Lmao why would it be disrespectful to the ball kids? And different balls accumulate different level of wears and tears and fluffiness during the match, you might want to pick the one that is in better condition for you

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Lmao why would it be disrespectful to the ball kids? And different balls accumulate different level of wears and tears and fluffiness during the match, you might want to pick the one that is in better condition for you
Maybe so but why not toss it back to them rather than throw it behind themselves without caring that ball boys /girls have to sprint after it and sprint back to their position before the player serves?

But who started it?

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Maybe so but why not toss it back to them rather than throw it behind themselves without caring that ball boys /girls have to sprint after it and sprint back to their position before the player serves?

But who started it?
They'll get to them no problem in an instant, they're trained to get much quicker and far-flying balls.

No idea who started it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As I was saying... :down:

It never gets any less devastating, no matter how much you've convinced yourself that you're prepared to see your favourite lose to Djokovic.

Edit: Now I hope Novak plays at least this well in the final, it would be so frustrating if he somehow dropped after this
Sinner never looked like doing anything but losing imo. Very good chance to break Djokovic in the first game and I lost count of the unforced errors hit into the net. Really disappointing game. I suppose I should be crediting Djokovic rather than being irritated by Sinner :smile:

I am desperate for Djokovic to lose, it will be extremely entertaining to see him lose his rag as it happens, which he he would. My hopes rest on Alcaraz finishing Medvedev off quickly.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Sinner never looked like doing anything but losing imo. Very good chance to break Djokovic in the first game and I lost count of the unforced errors hit into the net. Really disappointing game. I suppose I should be crediting Djokovic rather than being irritated by Sinner :smile:

I am desperate for Djokovic to lose, it will be extremely entertaining to see him lose his rag as it happens, which he he would.
The thing is that having such a similar game style to Novak's is a disadvantage for Jannik when he plays against him, because then it simply comes down to who can execute that same game better and that relates to mental toughness and focus - and Djokovic is the undisputed best in that. Plus Novak's serve has become quite dependable while Jannik's is still shaky despite having been improven.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The thing is that having such a similar game style to Novak's is a disadvantage for Jannik against him, because then it comes down to who can execute it better and that relates to mental toughness and focus - and Djokovic is the undisputed best in that. Plus Novak's serve has become quite dependable while Jannik's is still shaky despite having been improven.
Agree, he’s just a kid, he will get better

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Vondrousova a worthy winner of the match and the tournament.

First unseeded women's champion in Open era.

Would've loved Jabeur to have done it for both Arabia and Africa, but it wasn't to be.

3rd time lucky next year? I hope so.

Last edited:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Vondrousova a worthy winner of the match and the tournament.

First unseeded women's champion in Open era.

Would've loved Jabeur to have done it for both Arabia and Africa, but it wasn't to be.

3rd time lucky next year? I hope so.
Battle of the under-dogs. Enjoyed that as a neutral.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Ons twitchier arse'ole than Colin Montgomerie...

Probably needs to bin her hubby as coach and get someone in who can tell her stuff she might not want to hear

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Devastating loss for Jabeur, her post-match reaction and interview were heartbreaking. I'm really happy for Vondrousova, she and her box were both ecstatic and disbelieving but she really deserved it. Her game is varied and suited for grass, and despite the injuries she suffered she isn't new to big matches.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a Brit in the Men's Double Final and tons of empty seats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here