Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2023

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Are you going to watch some of it on tv? Are you going there in person? Who do you think will win it this year?

I've never been and probably never will because of distance and money, but I like watching tennis - and as usual I'll be following it on TV or online and supporting the Italians, with Sinner being the most likely to go deeper in the tournament (injuries permitting.) I mostly follow men's tennis because Italian women haven't done that well recently, but I do know the top players on the women's side and their majors' winners as well.

Today the main draws were released:

-Men's main draw-
Fz3IwlyX0AA68iR

- Projected quarter-finals based on seedings-
Fz3FXTiWcAElXZd

-Women's main draw-
Fz3DmE7XsAANdrV

-Projected quarter-finals based on seedings-

I don't follow doubles but if some of you do you're obviously welcome to talk about it as well!

Main tournament start: Monday, July the 3rd
Women's final: Saturday, July the 15th
Men's final: Sunday, July the 16th

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If you've never done Wimbledon, do it if you can, best sporting experience you can get imho, and I'm not even convinced you have to be that into tennis to absolutely love it.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Loved it in the 70s when I went a few times. In those days you could just get ground entry and stand in the centre court crowd when space - fantastic! These days just TV but still love it

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
If you've never done Wimbledon, do it if you can, best sporting experience you can get imho, and I'm not even convinced you have to be that into tennis to absolutely love it.
Agreed. Unless it rains ! I went one day, had womens quarter final tickets, when it rained all day. Just sat in the bar getting pissed

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Quite excited for it this year as, I'll be honest, I am not overly aware of the post Fed/nad/Djok top players so looking forward to watching the next generation

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Quite excited for it this year as, I'll be honest, I am not overly aware of the post Fed/nad/Djok top players so looking forward to watching the next generation
Alcaraz (current #1) is a very exciting young man, he won the US Open last year and Queen's just a few days ago (which was big since grass was arguably his weakest surface up until now.) He's a mix of Nadal's defensive athleticism and power and Federer's attacking spirit.

Djokovic is still the favourite, but if Alcaraz is in top form (he has a tendency to get cramps) he could get the title.

Among the young ones, I support Sinner and Musetti but they have no real chance.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I'm cheering on HENman all the way to the quarter-finals!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
For someone who is not at all interested in tennis, the idea of going to Wimbledon turns me off completely. The idea of going somewhere just for the occasion would bore me to tears. Seeing something from a Facebook friend recently who was going to Royal Ascot, had done her nails and just put her fascinator on made me laugh out loud - she looked ridiculous!

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
For someone who is not at all interested in tennis, the idea of going to Wimbledon turns me off completely. The idea of going somewhere just for the occasion would bore me to tears. Seeing something from a Facebook friend recently who was going to Royal Ascot, had done her nails and just put her fascinator on made me laugh out loud - she looked ridiculous!
The solution's simple: become interested in tennis!

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Tennis completely lost its appeal for me since Nadal and Federer have retired and Murray had his injuries. Looking at your picture of projected QF I only recognise Djokovic

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Alcaraz (current #1) is a very exciting young man, he won the US Open last year and Queen's just a few days ago (which was big since grass was arguably his weakest surface up until now.) He's a mix of Nadal's defensive athleticism and power and Federer's attacking spirit.

Djokovic is still the favourite, but if Alcaraz is in top form (he has a tendency to get cramps) he could get the title.

Among the young ones, I support Sinner and Musetti but they have no real chance.
Very keen to see how Carlos might fare against Djokovic should they meet in the final, with a bunch more high level grass court tennis under his belt, following the anticlimactic French semi final.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
In previous years I've been lucky to watch on Centre Court and Court One and queued for a ground pass last year (really not difficult, might be more so now that covid is well and truly behind us). Personally, I prefer the Ground Pass. It's brilliant value for money. Seeing players close up and personal on smaller courts (lesser rankings but still well known, star players in doubles etc). I would recommend a Ground Pass to anyone. Even managed to sweet talk the army into letting me into last set of Nadal v Sonego on Centre. Also, if you do go, regardless of your ticket, I would really recommend staying to the end of play. Loads of the crowd feck off early after the big matches. The Wimbledon setting is so beautiful in the early evening light. Anyone who disses Wimbledon but hasn't been there shouldn't be listened to imho.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Agree with those saying it’s one of the best sporting events/days out. Love the place!
My 30th trip last year but unfortunately due to other things on I won’t be going this year.

Can’t see anyone other than djok winning to be honest. Alcaraz, Rune, Ruud, Sinner aren’t good enough yet imo- suppose Krygios might turn up….?

Not sure on the ladies side these days, guessing Swiatek is big favourite, Coco Gauff could go far I reckon. Then maybe a traditional grass courter like Kvitova or Bencic

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Will be cheering on Aryna Sabalenka in the women's competition. Looking like it could be her year finally
Watched an episode of Break Point on Netflix with her in it. She is quite fragile mentally and the stick she has been getting re the Ukraine war has made it much worse. Felt quite sorry for her actually. It's actually a pretty good series if you are interested in Tennis - rather a lonely existence for some.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Very keen to see how Carlos might fare against Djokovic should they meet in the final, with a bunch more high level grass court tennis under his belt, following the anticlimactic French semi final.
Yeah me too, although I obviously hope there will be an Italian instead of Djokovic in the final but it's practically impossible.

Can’t see anyone other than djok winning to be honest. Alcaraz, Rune, Ruud, Sinner aren’t good enough yet imo- suppose Krygios might turn up….?

Not sure on the ladies side these days, guessing Swiatek is big favourite, Coco Gauff could go far I reckon. Then maybe a traditional grass courter like Kvitova or Bencic
Kyrgios isn't in great form health-wise and hasn't played much this year, it will be very difficult for him to go deep. As much as I'm a Sinner fan, Alcaraz in on a different level than him and Rune right now and he might actually have a chance at winning the whole thing. It will still be difficult since he's not on his strongest surface, unlike Novak.

On the ladies side you shouldn't forget #2 and #3, Sabalenka and Rybakina (who's last year champion.) They're better than Swiatek on faster surfaces and might have a better chance than her.

Watched an episode of Break Point on Netflix with her in it. She is quite fragile mentally and the stick she has been getting re the Ukraine war has made it much worse. Felt quite sorry for her actually. It's actually a pretty good series if you are interested in Tennis - rather a lonely existence for some.
To be fair that was last year. This year she's come back strong and - despite some stress with journalists at Roland Garros - she recently openly opposed Lukashenko in press conference, which couldn't have been easy. But yeah she's better off this year, winning her first slam (Australian Open) must have given her confidence.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
To be fair that was last year. This year she's come back strong and - despite some stress with journalists at Roland Garros - she recently openly opposed Lukashenko in press conference, which wouldn't have been easy. But yeah she's better off this year, winning her first slam (Australian Open) must have given her confidence.
Fair enough. I'm sure they mentioned on the show that any Belarussian athlete that says the word "war" in relation to Ukraine would end up in prison, so if she has spoken out then well done her!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here