Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2023

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Amazing final, couldn't have asked for better. It had everything, and even the two players had everything.

Carlos has absolutely cemented the worth of his #1 ranking (which would have been taken over by Djokovic if he'd won) by beating Novak in this 5-setter of a Wimbledon final. Right now beating Djokovic in a final at Wimbledon is the ultimate test for any champion worthy of that name.

I don't understand all the hatred towards Djokovic on here nor any call of "arrogance". He's the most accomplished male player in the history of the sport. He's not arrogant. He's always been by far the most gracious in defeat out of the big 3, and the kind of player to always applaud an opponent's beautiful effort no matter how much it hurts. All of this exemplified once again in his runner-up speech today. The only one you could call a bit "arrogant" of the big 3 was young Federer, when he was still quite fiery and thought he was perfection incarnated, before he really had any rivals. Djokovic isn't arrogant, he's just honest. And during the match he's very much human outside of points, and he's emotional.

This one is a classic and everything felt perfect, a truly great passing of the baton.
Really is a matter of opinion, but fair enough differ with you on this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair which player isn’t?

I’ve seen very few if any players post match, ever say on court after a major final, that the umpire was biased, grass or (whatever surface) is crap, and my opponent is a tool…..

Brilliant player but really don’t warm to him at all.
The smashing the racket against the post, with his kids in the audience, inexcusable even in the heat of the moment for me. Yes, great player, possibly the greatest ever in terms of achievements. I have never warmed to him, and his blatant gamesmanship, and I won’t be starting now :shrug:

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Unbelievable match, hard not to respect Novak at 36 trying to take down someone 16 years his junior with the crowd against him as always. Can't imagine what we would be saying about him if it was Federer in that situation, everyone would be swooning over him on here.

Always gracious in defeat as well, I hope we can win next year and become the oldest ever Wimbledon.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
The smashing the racket against the post, with his kids in the audience, inexcusable even in the heat of the moment for me. Yes, great player, possibly the greatest ever in terms of achievements. I have never warmed to him, and his blatant gamesmanship, and I won’t be starting now :shrug:
While I don't disagree, its interesting how different sports are held to different standards - in the world of football the equivalent behaviour (screaming invective at officials, beating the ground in frustration, managers luzzing/kicking water bottles or running maniacally down the touchline* etc) tends to be celebrated in some circles as pAsShUn!!11!oneone!

*unless they happen to be willfully and maliciously foreign, in which case they're labelled arrogant tossers (see Wagner, David)

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I hope we can win next year and become the oldest ever Wimbledon.
While I can't really agree with this final wish since I obviously have other hopes, I do agree with the rest of your comment - he's an absolute legend. As a younger player he had to learn to thrive in negative atmospheres, and now that that's all he knows he sometimes looks for them himself in order to regain focus during the match. It's sad in hindsight but it made him such a strong character.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here