Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2023

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yep, but they struggle to play two games in a week. I know football might be more physical but even so. It's just something I've never really understood.
Actually a lot of players do play two games a week, interspersed with a lot of travelling. In football you are pretty much constantly moving, covering about 10k per match. Tennis is more about short bursts of energy. Two different types of fitness required neither superior to the other.

boik

Yep, but they struggle to play two games in a week. I know football might be more physical but even so. It's just something I've never really understood.
Never understood indeed. Footballers can obviously play every day of the week - just not to the standard or intensity that we demand. Every body function is monitored and it apparently shows a major drop off towards the end of a match. You must have noticed how extra time is always at a slower pace?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Brilliant match and very happy that he won. Seems a generally nice bloke and to handle that pressure at 20 is some doing

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Amazing final, couldn't have asked for better. It had everything, and even the two players had everything.

Carlos has absolutely cemented the worth of his #1 ranking (which would have been taken over by Djokovic if he'd won) by beating Novak in this 5-setter of a Wimbledon final. Right now beating Djokovic in a final at Wimbledon is the ultimate test for any champion worthy of that name.

I don't understand all the hatred towards Djokovic on here nor any call of "arrogance". He's the most accomplished male player in the history of the sport. He's not arrogant. He's always been by far the most gracious in defeat out of the big 3, and the kind of player to always applaud an opponent's beautiful effort no matter how much it hurts. All of this exemplified once again in his runner-up speech today. The only one you could call a bit "arrogant" of the big 3 was young Federer, when he was still quite fiery and thought he was perfection incarnated, before he really had any rivals. Djokovic isn't arrogant, he's just honest. And during the match he's very much human outside of points, and he's emotional.

This one is a classic and everything felt perfect, a truly great passing of the baton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well done to the Spanish kid. I've really warmed to Djokovic this year though. I finally got how he enjoys the panto villain aspect and he was graceful in his comments in defeat. Also, of course, a phenomenal player, can never be written off in a match.
He was very graceful and humorous in his after game speech, can’t deny that. However I was bloody delighted he lost :shrug:

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Never understood indeed. Footballers can obviously play every day of the week - just not to the standard or intensity that we demand. Every body function is monitored and it apparently shows a major drop off towards the end of a match. You must have noticed how extra time is always at a slower pace?
You're right, of course. I guess tennis is more regular bursts of activity interspersed with frequent short recovery breaks. Interesting stuff, I'm sure there are probably comparative studies out there that would be interesting reading.

If I could reach anywhere near a footballer's fitness level I'd be happy 😁

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Amazing final, couldn't have asked for better. It had everything, and even the two players had everything.

Carlos has absolutely cemented the worth of his #1 ranking (which would have been taken over by Djokovic if he'd won) by beating Novak in this 5-setter of a Wimbledon final. Right now beating Djokovic in a final at Wimbledon is the ultimate test for any champion worthy of that name.

I don't understand all the hatred towards Djokovic on here nor any call of "arrogance". He's the most accomplished male player in the history of the sport. He's not arrogant. He's always been by far the most gracious in defeat out of the big 3, and the kind of player to always applaud an opponent's beautiful effort no matter how much it hurts. All of this exemplified once again in his runner-up speech today. The only one you could call a bit "arrogant" of the big 3 was young Federer, when he was still quite fiery and thought he was perfection incarnated, before he really had any rivals. Djokovic isn't arrogant, he's just honest. And during the match he's very much human outside of points, and he's emotional.

This one is a classic and everything felt perfect, a truly great passing of the baton.
Shame so many don't see this.@icygull

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It is a result of his weird and seemingly arrogant and foolish carry-on during covid. However all is now water (pure mountain spring water, infused with orgones, having been held beneath a specially constructed copper pyramid for several hours) under the bridge.

1689538077713.png

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not even a big tennis fan, but I recognise sporting briliance when I see it. That was a HUGELY entertaining 5 hours. One of those matches where every single point felt absolutely crucial. Both deserved to win, but I was thrilled to see that young lad find a way to defeat a living legend of the game. What a talent.

We'll be watching Alcaraz for years to come, and tracing his greatness back to this afternoon. Sporting spectacle doesn't get much better than this.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm not even a big tennis fan, but I recognise sporting briliance when I see it. That was a HUGELY entertaining 5 hours. One of those matches where every single point felt absolutely crucial. Both deserved to win, but I was thrilled to see that young lad find a way to defeat a living legend of the game. What a talent.

We'll be watching Alcaraz for years to come, and tracing his greatness back to this afternoon. Sporting spectacle doesn't get much better than this.
True enough. I remember a similar afternoon when McEnroe beat Borg at Wimbledon for the first time in 1981. It was epic and felt like the end of an era and the start of a new one. I doubt Jokovic will ever win Wimbledon again. The winds of change have passed through. Sad, but that's
sport.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True enough. I remember a similar afternoon when McEnroe beat Borg at Wimbledon for the first time in 1981. It was epic and felt like the end of an era and the start of a new one. I doubt Jokovic will ever win Wimbledon again. The winds of change have passed through. Sad, but that's
sport.
I was still obsessed with Pac-Man and Pitfall at that point in my life, so it rather passed me by at the time. But having watched the (BRILLIANT) Gods of Tennis on iPlayer recently, I know exactly what you mean.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
sport.
I wouldn’t write Novak off just yet.
I too thought thought of the classic Borg/McEnroe finals in 80 and 81. Indeed that defeat broke the ice-cool Swede and he retired soon afterwards.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was very graceful and humorous in his after game speech, can’t deny that. However I was bloody delighted he lost :shrug:
To be fair which player isn’t?

I’ve seen very few, if any players post match say on court after a major final, that the umpire was biased, grass or (whatever surface) is crap, and my opponent is a tool…..

Brilliant player but really don’t warm to him at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here