[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Strange Scottish commentator for the Alcaraz match...Overpronounces Alcaraz like he's a Spanish national and refers to Berrettini like he's from Glasgow...

I shouldn't overthink it though, he's more than likely a pretentious prick
Love a bit of Cotter, he's very amusing, sometimes sarcastic and different to the other boring commentators like Henman. Unfortunately, he won't feature as much because of it. And they're all saying Alcarathhh recently (and yes it's annoying) .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Love a bit of Cotter, he's very amusing, sometimes sarcastic and different to the other boring commentators like Henman. Unfortunately, he won't feature as much because of it. And they're all saying Alcarathhh recently (and yes it's annoying) .
Except it’s the correct pronunciation, so why criticise it?

Gets my goat when people say Choritso instead of Choritho too or Eyebeetha instead of Ibitha as in Ibsen :smile:

Last edited:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I suspect it’s Andrew Cotter - I think he’s ok but I’m biased as he has two labradors - he tweeted about them a lot during lockdown!

I was a bit harsh on reflection, cheers for the info

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Eubanks, having had another meh first set is looking good in the second

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Why is Medvedev playing with his goolies every break in play.
Erection?

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Seems to edging ever-closer to a very awkward Ukraine/Belarus ladies final
Really hope not. I'm alright with any other combination of players, including Sabalenka-Vondrousova and Jabeur-Svitolina. But a Sabalenka-Svitolina final would be terrible, it wouldn't really be a tennis match. All the journos dripping saliva at the mere thought though.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Really hope not. I'm alright with any other combination of players, including Sabalenka-Vondrousova and Jabeur-Svitolina. But a Sabalenka-Svitolina final would be terrible, it wouldn't really be a tennis match. All the journos dripping saliva at the mere thought though.
Jabeur v Svitolina would be my preference. Does your lad have a shout tm against Djokovic?

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Does your lad have a shout tm against Djokovic?
Eh, if I was trying to stay rational and level-headed I'd say that Djokovic is unbeatable at Wimbledon even this year, and that giving his opponents hope just to crush it in the end is exactly what he does.

But I really have confidence in Jannik this year. He's improved and he's played well in these Wimbledon matches. Keeping it up mentally against Djokovic on Centre Court is another matter though.

And the problem is that (as Jannik said in his press conference) now they know each other better compared to last year because they sometimes practice together - they even had a practice session just before Wimbledon started. And I think that is probably going to give an advantage to Djokovic because he's the better strategist and shot-selector of the two. So Jannik can only hope that execution-wise he plays so well that he stops Novak from enacting his plans against him.

I think and I hope that Jannik will play well, but as with anyone that faces Novak I don't know if that will be reflected in the result. Djokovic has a peculiar power to bend the result to his will even when he isn't playing that well and the opponent is playing amazingly. He's just so good in big pressure points.

In my heart I know Jannik can beat Novak, but the reality of it is what matters - and the reality of it is made of episodes and moments.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Good game this.

That said I hope they wrap it up soon I feel like going for a pint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports