Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2023

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Strange Scottish commentator for the Alcaraz match...Overpronounces Alcaraz like he's a Spanish national and refers to Berrettini like he's from Glasgow...

I shouldn't overthink it though, he's more than likely a pretentious prick
I suspect it’s Andrew Cotter - I think he’s ok but I’m biased as he has two labradors - he tweeted about them a lot during lockdown!

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Maybe someone can answer this.... If they have Hawkeye why do they still have to challenge if they think a ball is in or out? Also sometimes the line judges miss a call when a ball was in fact out - surely it should just be automated?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Maybe someone can answer this.... If they have Hawkeye why do they still have to challenge if they think a ball is in or out? Also sometimes the line judges miss a call when a ball was in fact out - surely it should just be automated?
Wimbledon and the French Open are the only two grand slam tournaments not to have made the switch to cameras only. However, both have stated they are considering it - Wimbledon will be the last to hold on to traditions, understandably.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Astonishing collapse by 4th seed Jess Pegula.

At 3-1 up with the break in the 3rd set, the roof closes.

Then having been 4-1 up with a point for a double break, she loses the next 5 games. o_O

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Svitolina 1 set up and 6-5 in the second against Swiatek. Playing brilliantly other than a wobble earlier in the set when she missed the easiest little dink over the net that you will ever see.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And with Svitolina winning, there'll be a guaranteed non-seed in the Wimbledon women's final.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I would much rather see Rybakina or Svitolina win than Vondrousova or Sabalenka!
Can you imagine Svitolina v Sabalenka in the Wimbledon final? Talk about a game within a game.

Of course politics and sport really shouldn't mix, but outside her own support team, she'd have the whole of the crowd on her side.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can you imagine Svitolina v Sabalenka in the Wimbledon final? Talk about a game within a game.

Of course politics and sport really shouldn't mix, but outside her own support team, she'd have the whole of the crowd on her side.
Womens tournament looking way more interesting and intriguing than the mens

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's stunning how Swiatek just can't get it done at Wimbledon. The court doesn't suit her, but she seems to be getting wiser to the surface.

The Gentleman's draw is extraordinary, but for the falls of Ruud and Tsitsipas the top 8 seeds would be the final 8. Alcaraz and Djokovic look a long way clear of the field and that would be an incredible final.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And no matter what happened, Svitolina is not going to shake her hand.
The closest that comes to mind in other sports is possibly the USA v USSR 1980 'Miracle on Ice' or 1972 Olympic basketball final with upsets in both.

In football, possibly USA v Iran in 1998. Or even post-war whenever the likes of Hungary, France and especially the Netherlands faced Germany.

"I didn't give a damn about the score. 1–0 was enough, as long as we could humiliate them. I hate them. They murdered my family. My father, my sister, two of my brothers. Each time I faced Germany I was angst-filled." - Wim van Hanegem, Dutch midfielder (from Wiki)

But these were all Cold War, politically-sensitive or post-conflict sporting events, not when the war was actually happening in real time as is now.

Keys, Jabeur, Rybakina and Vondrousova might still have something to say about it, but the possibility for a Belarus v Ukraine final remains.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The wankest from the commentators about Djokovic is getting very wearing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here