Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2023

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Really enjoyed the Kenin v Gauff match, so much so that I put £2 on Kenin to be Champ mid first set at 50/1. She looked awesome.
She was quite superb and had quite a partisan crowd against her too. Sad for Gauff as probably the poster girl of the Womens tournament.

WGCarruthers

Feb 16, 2017
Was planning to queue up tomorrow for a ground pass but with the news about it taking forever this year I'll probably give it a miss.

Does anyone have any recommends for big screens that might be showing it in Brighton? I remember in the past they've had it on the beach or the Pier but I haven't been in town for a few years.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Katie Boulter was distinctly underwhelming at Eastbourne. Looked to be struggling against her lowly-ranked chunky 29 year old Aussie/Russian opponent at Wimbledon this morning also, before rain stopped play. Oh well. Add to long and noble line of UK also-rans :wave:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Katie Boulter was distinctly underwhelming at Eastbourne. Looked to be struggling against her lowly-ranked chunky 29 year old Aussie/Russian opponent at Wimbledon this morning also, before rain stopped play. Oh well. Add to long and noble line of UK also-rans :wave:
She's playing a much better player who has had a much higher ranking but has been out for a year with an ACL injury. And it's currently on serve. You just like to seem to wade in whenever you can...?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Andy Murray cruising through here, a shame as I think Peniston has talent but this was always going to be too tough a draw this early

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For someone who is not at all interested in tennis, the idea of going to Wimbledon turns me off completely. The idea of going somewhere just for the occasion would bore me to tears. Seeing something from a Facebook friend recently who was going to Royal Ascot, had done her nails and just put her fascinator on made me laugh out loud - she looked ridiculous!

Chelsea Flower Show, tick
Henley Regatta, tick

The calendar of snobs, all about being seen to be there and boring everyone you know by telling them. I’ve known these people.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
First on Centre Court from 13:30 Jodie Burrage takes on 11th seed Daria Kasatkina. This represents a decent chance for the Brit to progress as Kasatkina seemed to be carrying a back injury in the first round, hampering an already powderpuff serve. A scattergun opponent with a massive number of unforced errors helping the Russian through.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Andy Murray cruising through here, a shame as I think Peniston has talent but this was always going to be too tough a draw this early
Peniston had no business being in the competition. It was a real mates perk him being given a wildcard he did not deserve. There are literally dozens of players on the tour who were far more deserving of a wildcard than a fella who is British and that's it. So many players are actually trying to make it on the tour and are just under the qualification requirement but aren't British, so they have no hope of the wildcard. It's totally out of order and gave Peniston a really unfair advantage in terms of prize money guaranteed and ranking points for playing round 1.

It's good for Andy Murray to get an easy opener, literally the easiest first round opponent. Second round will be a blockbuster match, whichever man wins through to it.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Amateur hour. They decide to delay proceedings on Court 1 by 15 minutes to open the roof, as it has stopped raining. Cue a sharp downpour which prompted them to shut it again. Now it's stopped raining, they decide to open it again before the players come out to warm up.

On top of that, they are a day and a half behind so do they do the sensible thing and start play early on the outside courts, or dogmatically stick to the schedule?

Last edited:

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Peniston had no business being in the competition. It was a real mates perk him being given a wildcard he did not deserve. There are literally dozens of players on the tour who were far more deserving of a wildcard than a fella who is British and that's it. So many players are actually trying to make it on the tour and are just under the qualification requirement but aren't British, so they have no hope of the wildcard. It's totally out of order and gave Peniston a really unfair advantage in terms of prize money guaranteed and ranking points for playing round 1.

It's good for Andy Murray to get an easy opener, literally the easiest first round opponent. Second round will be a blockbuster match, whichever man wins through to it.
To be fair they do this at any tournament, Roland Garros gives wildcards to low-ranked French players and so on

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Were Murray to overcome either Tsitsipas or Thiem, then win his 3rd round game, he'd be likely to face Cameron Norrie in R4.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Protesters on Court 18 throwing orange confetti and a jigsaw puzzle around.

Thankfully it's probably a 500 piece puzzle rather than a 1000.

They take a lot longer to complete.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Protesters on Court 19 throwing bags of potting compost around. Believed to be part of the Just Top Soil campaign
To be fair, they've got a point.

I thought I'd have some sardines for breakfast this morning.

Having opened up the can, I found out it was full of oil and all the fish were dead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here