Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2023

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Fair enough. I'm sure they mentioned on the show that any Belarussian athlete that says the word "war" in relation to Ukraine would end up in prison, so if she has spoken out then well done her!
Yeah she was so exasperated by questions about the war overshadowing her tennis that she decided to just spell it out:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Watched an episode of Break Point on Netflix with her in it. She is quite fragile mentally and the stick she has been getting re the Ukraine war has made it much worse. Felt quite sorry for her actually. It's actually a pretty good series if you are interested in Tennis - rather a lonely existence for some.
Cheers for the heads-up, will give it a spin :thumbsup:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If you've never done Wimbledon, do it if you can, best sporting experience you can get imho, and I'm not even convinced you have to be that into tennis to absolutely love it.
Very much this! Was incredibly lucky last year as got £75 tickets for centre court opening day about 5 rows back from the net ( ballot was from 2019). For me the hey day of Wimbledon and tennis in general was the Borg and McEnroe era. However, I loved the ambience and a bit like watching cricket at Lords.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
What happened to Emma Raducanu? She seemed to have the world at her feet winning the US Open then just dissapeared

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
suppose Krygios might turn up….?
Kyrgios isn't in great form health-wise and hasn't played much this year, it will be very difficult for him to go deep.
And sure enough, he's withdrawn from the tournament because of injury problems.

Oh by the way, we've officially started!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
According to the BBC live text, there are long delays with people trying to get into to Wimbledon today. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/65583864/page/2

Dan: Queue an absolute shambles so far. Stewards and punters alike saying it’s the worst it’s ever been. We arrived at 6:15 and haven’t even left the pre-queue park!

Anon: I was looking forward to a day of tennis but I'm still waiting in Wimbledon Park in the queue. Apparently less than 500 people are getting through security per hour. Britain can't even be proud of queueing any more!

Dave: Been in the Wimbledon queue since 5:30am, still not in and no idea when. Disgraceful.

With the recent protests at other sporting events, one might imagine that the security and bag checks for orange powder have been beefed up.

They'll have a job to make it on one of the show courts, but the outside courts might be an easier target.

Edit...they have increased security measures on entry. That'll slow things down considerably.

"As we've seen in other sporting events, we can't guarantee anything, but we are extremely confident that the measures we've got in place are the right measures, and we're ready to deal with something if it happens," Sally Bolton, chief executive of the All England Club, told reporters on Monday.

"We've certainly uplifted security in areas such as the gates and around the course, with enhanced bag searches, and we are communicating with people to explain how that may take a little more time."

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
30 seconds of rain and that's it tournament cancelled.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Pre-roof they would rush the cover on and then once it had stopped raining they take it off and play. This was 30 seconds of rain FFS. Makes cricket look good

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Mexican wave on centre court! Scenes you love to see.

:clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Djokovic getting a lackey to blow dry the court for him :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hopefully Venus Williams going out today. Save us from the full on media wankfest over her, which is already going on during the game she’s losing 1 set to nil

all over - two sets :banana:

Last edited:

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Musetti and Sinner both winning pretty comfortably in straight sets, those Sinner slips made me miss a beat though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here