Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

William Hague

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
From the moment that obnoxious smug schoolboy got up at the Tory Party conference and made that speech extolling the virtues of right wing politics in general and Thatcherism in particular, I've never been able to wish him anything other than plague and pestilence.........

.......even when he occasionally said something sensible in later life.

Can't disagree with much of that....other than I'd prefer he was PM than David (hug a banker) Cameron, or lacklustre Milliband come to that.
I have recently seen some merit in the popularity of UKIP, in the hope that at least the two major parties might get the message and get their acts together and govern for the people at large. Is it any good being told how wonderfully well the country is doing if our lives are getting worse ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Whenever I've seen him speak he's seemed a reasonable and intelligent politician, no knee jerk sounds bites ( unlike both your posts ). I rate him as a politician. All parties have those decent politicians like him - Alan Johnson, Danny Alexander, Emily Thornberry, David Davies, Anne Widdecombe, Andy Burnham, Menzies Campbell to name but a few.

The problem is too many people eff and blind about politicians because they hate that politicians party rather than the politician being a bad person. Sadly there are too many thick people who can't see past party politics.

its not that I don't like him personally
he is a tory born a tory always a tory

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whenever I've seen him speak he's seemed a reasonable and intelligent politician, no knee jerk sounds bites ( unlike both your posts ).

It would be interesting to hear (or read) your definition of the word 'Sound bite'.

No, actually it wouldn't be that interesting............

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Useless Tory boy - Has totally destroyed british interests in the middle east by ill thought out strategy and speeches and deployment of support and arms.

Mark Thatcher did less damage than him whilst lining his own pockets.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well if nothing else i like Hague for this.
"Home rule for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland means having a parliament. England doesn't have that kind of equality and no Westminster politician is about to offer it. Whatever would the club think? Instead we have what Parliament is prepared to tolerate, which is coincidentally being used as a political point scoring exercise for electoral advantage...
Ed Miliband has been given until the end of next month to agree home rule for English MPs or be forced to vote against the plans in Parliament, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose. The new pressure on the Labour leader has come from William Hague, the Cabinet minister who is leading the talks for the Tories to agree a cross-party solution to the West Lothian Question.
Mr Miliband has so far rejected Mr Cameron's proposals, despite appearing to accept that the current system is unfair, saying it would divide Parliament. This prompted speculation that Downing Street would “decouple” English devolution from giving more powers to Scots to ensure that the pledge to the Scots was met. However, Mr Hague told The Sunday Telegraph that the Tories' English plans would continue “in tandem” with the Scottish plans and that issue was “coming to a crunch”.
He said: “The end of November is a crunch point. This question cannot be evaded, or evaded or ignored any longer. It is absolutely essential to address it now. “The only people who are blocking this who are not committed to change are self-interested political parties rather than any voters anywhere in the country.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-Commons-William-Hague-tells-Ed-Miliband.html

So, we're not going to be consulted, we're going to be told roughly how they want to address English home rule. It will be messy and it ducks the obvious, logical and fair solution. England and the rest of the union need an English parliament as a matter of balance. Westminster can only become a federal entity now. No doubt the Snouts do not like this change in job description. That's too bad, they've only got themselves to blame.

The fact that Labour would be unable to function in government without Scots, Welsh and Irish MPs has given Cameron a stick to beat Weird Ed with. I find that deeply cynical; using a nation's need to gain party political advantage reveals their complete contempt for anything or anyone other than themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here