Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

William Hague

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Would have been a great Prime minister, but was leader at the wrong time.
Baseball cap didn't help!
image.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Snigger

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 277

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Would have been a great Prime minister, but was leader at the wrong time.

Absolutely - unfortunately in 1997 most of the pro-Europeans lost their seats, and at the time it was only MPs who could vote on the leadership, and the remaining ones were obsessed with getting a Eurosceptic elected (the party membership were less Eurosceptic than MPs at the time, and most wanted Clarke). Then by 2001, most of the moderate members had gone, so we got IDS elected (I voted for Clarke, but wanted Portillo). Hague would have made a fine choice in 2005 - out of Cameron and Davis, Davis had far more ideas, but just couldn't get them across, making Cameron effectively the only choice.

Yes, Hague got it wrong over Syria, but so did Obama and much of the western world, and Hague is very well respected for his work against Female Genital Mutilation. I think the real reason he is going is that he and his wife have been quite badly affected by their failure to have a child, and understandably they want to spend more time together. Apparently he's going to write books - his biography of Pitt the Younger was excellent (perhaps Blackadder fans could persuade him to do a spoof one on Pitt the even Younger).

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Absolutely - unfortunately in 1997 most of the pro-Europeans lost their seats, and at the time it was only MPs who could vote on the leadership, and the remaining ones were obsessed with getting a Eurosceptic elected (the party membership were less Eurosceptic than MPs at the time, and most wanted Clarke). Then by 2001, most of the moderate members had gone, so we got IDS elected (I voted for Clarke, but wanted Portillo). Hague would have made a fine choice in 2005 - out of Cameron and Davis, Davis had far more ideas, but just couldn't get them across, making Cameron effectively the only choice.

Yes, Hague got it wrong over Syria, but so did Obama and much of the western world, and Hague is very well respected for his work against Female Genital Mutilation. I think the real reason he is going is that he and his wife have been quite badly affected by their failure to have a child, and understandably they want to spend more time together. Apparently he's going to write books - his biography of Pitt the Younger was excellent (perhaps Blackadder fans could persuade him to do a spoof one on Pitt the even Younger).

Perhaps he should try sleeping with her and <REDACTED>

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps he should try sleeping with her and <REDACTED>

That wasn't Hague was it? I thought it was another Tory MP.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here