[Albion] Will we stay up? Your thoughts

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
We don’t get beat every week, this season was always going to be a transition with the new manager personally think he has the tactics spot on and with a few additions we could be half decent.

Slight exaggeration on my part but it does feel like that not having seen a win since Christmas. And I agree with you about the manager. We need to stick with him regardless on what happens. I think Bloom will as well. Last season was painful this much less so BUT that doesn't detract from the fact that I'd rather see us beat Rotherham than lose to Chelsea....I'd obviously rather see us beating Chelsea but I'm sure you get my point even if you don't agree.

The fan base was changing the moment the Amex opened its doors, yes I preferred football days in the 80’s 90’s early 2000’s probably because I was a young man and loved going with all my mates. Each away told it’s own story back then.

The youngsters of today will never experience football like that unless football does a complete u turn and money leaves the game. Some call it the dark days of football I call it one of the best periods of my life of being n Albion fan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as much a part of the problem as anyone and if I was really upset with it I simply wouldn't go. That said I don't really go to away games any more having been a probably 80-90%er before. Part of that is because I've ticked off the ground and can't be bothered and part of that is I don't really want to go because its not fun any more.

I guess we can all get misty eyed about "the good old days" as I'm sure every generation does.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Give Potter time, plenty of drills, 1-2-1 coaching and team specific tactics and I think we’ll be seeing results like this:
https://youtu.be/m4sLVuoiIxQ

Potter is bright enough to see the opportunities in lockdown instead of the hurdles. A whole season’s worth of tiny mistakes by our rivals will have been heavily scrutinised with players drilled in where those weaknesses lie. We could well be the best prepared team after the restart. I think we’ll finish on at least 44 points and if a mini-league of the post lockdown 9 games were to be viewed, we’re going to be top four.

That said, my preference is that the season is ended SPL style ASAP.

That will work well if Potter's rival managers have just sat around watching Netflix for ten weeks rather than doing exactly the same thing.

Jimmy Grimble

Slight exaggeration on my part but it does feel like that not having seen a win since Christmas. And I agree with you about the manager. We need to stick with him regardless on what happens. I think Bloom will as well. Last season was painful this much less so BUT that doesn't detract from the fact that I'd rather see us beat Rotherham than lose to Chelsea....I'd obviously rather see us beating Chelsea but I'm sure you get my point even if you don't agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as much a part of the problem as anyone and if I was really upset with it I simply wouldn't go. That said I don't really go to away games any more having been a probably 80-90%er before. Part of that is because I've ticked off the ground and can't be bothered and part of that is I don't really want to go because its not fun any more.

I guess we can all get misty eyed about "the good old days" as I'm sure every generation does.

I’m of the ‘current generation’ so to speak and have done away days regularly for a while now and I would agree that, once the novelty of the Prem wore off, they were better in the Championship for three simple reasons:

A) Any away game you felt you could win (and sometimes did!)

B) They were easier to organise across a group of mates

C) It felt as though there was less scrutiny and pressure upon them (as opposed to now where every bad result is presented as a catastrophe

That said, when we have got results away in the Prem they have been fantastic days - Arsenal, West Ham, Palace, Watford. This then returns us to point A and you suddenly realise how much the result affects your mood (even though we might like to pretend it doesn’t on away days. Must be the drink).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I’ve been to one PL away game and wish I hadn’t, Albion fans arguing amongst themselves shite performance on the pitch not a great experience. If we could just find a way of scoring another goal when ahead we might be onto something. It’s obvious some players aren’t good enough at this level local lads or not ship them out.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The fan base was changing the moment the Amex opened its doors, yes I preferred football days in the 80’s 90’s early 2000’s probably because I was a young man and loved going with all my mates. Each away told it’s own story back then.

The youngsters of today will never experience football like that unless football does a complete u turn and money leaves the game. Some call it the dark days of football I call it one of the best periods of my life of being n Albion fan.

THIS

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I’m of the ‘current generation’ so to speak and have done away days regularly for a while now and I would agree that, once the novelty of the Prem wore off, they were better in the Championship for three simple reasons:

A) Any away game you felt you could win (and sometimes did!)

B) They were easier to organise across a group of mates

C) It felt as though there was less scrutiny and pressure upon them (as opposed to now where every bad result is presented as a catastrophe

Can't disagree with any of that. Although don't think C will change regardless of what division we are in. Just need to pick the sources you trust and disregard the rest.

That said, when we have got results away in the Prem they have been fantastic days - Arsenal, West Ham, Palace, Watford. This then returns us to point A and you suddenly realise how much the result affects your mood (even though we might like to pretend it doesn’t on away days. Must be the drink).

Went to Arsenal this year and thought it was terrible despite the result. 10-20 years ago (and no doubt further back) if we'd taken 3k to a midweek London game it would have been a blinding night.

Palace last season was a belter though. I'll give you that. But it was that night McShane scored.

But you are right, well at least I think you are, hence my point about beating Rotherham as opposed to losing to Chelsea.

Jimmy Grimble

Can't disagree with any of that. Although don't think C will change regardless of what division we are in. Just need to pick the sources you trust and disregard the rest.

Went to Arsenal this year and thought it was terrible despite the result. 10-20 years ago (and no doubt further back) if we'd taken 3k to a midweek London game it would have been a blinding night.

Palace last season was a belter though. I'll give you that. But it was that night McShane scored.

But you are right, well at least I think you are, hence my point about beating Rotherham as opposed to losing to Chelsea.

Yeah. In fairness I was referring to the 1-1 last season at Arsenal, didn’t go this year for reasons you’ve spelt out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Some of the best aways I’ve ever been to have been spontaneous late Friday night decisions when pissed up in the pub, now it’s to organised and the same people go week in week out with the points thing.

Jimmy Grimble

Some of the best aways I’ve ever been to have been spontaneous late Friday night decisions when pissed up in the pub, now it’s to organised and the same people go week in week out with the points thing.

I‘d never thought about that aspect, all spontaneity has gone.

The PL ‘product‘.

That and you need to book train tickets months in advance otherwise it’ll cost you upward of £50 (at a minimum) to go anywhere north of Watford.

Jimmy Grimble

Do quite a few Albion fans travel by car for those away games, with a designated driver having to miss out on the boozing?

I can only speak for my group but we only get the train and try our best to get the cheaper advance train tickets to offset some of the away day costs.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That will work well if Potter's rival managers have just sat around watching Netflix for ten weeks rather than doing exactly the same thing.

Curses, you’ve spotted a critical flaw in my prediction!

However, I’m still hoping that Potter has a few surprises up his sleeve. The 4 centre back plan vs Burnley was particularly satisfying as their strikers moved to the flanks to win the long balls in the air and won sweet FA. I’m sure Potter will have very individual plans for each team, if Bissouma can pass him self off as Kante and the unknown quantity of Mac-A can work his magic, we could be safe by August.

Last edited:

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Has there been any indication in the order/ schedule of what the remaining games will be?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We aren't dreadful. We have played some pretty good football, but got into a bad/unlucky run at the wrong time.
Fortunately the season was suspended when we were on a horrendous run, with no way out.

There are a lot of variables in this season which should keep us up.

- There remain 5 teams below us.
- Three of them have to out perform us.
- Norwich and Villa are truly dreadful.
- Newcastle play 4 of the bottom 6 (including us) they could easily be dragged back into the mix
- Our hardest (on paper) games are against teams that will have little to play for.
- West Ham still have to play Watford/Villa/Norwich
- Norwich still have to play Us/West Ham/Watford

Key games are Norwich and Newcastle.

I think we will have enough to stay up.

I like that, positive and true. Nice one.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Those were the days. I remember years back, a mate an I decided at about 3am to get the first train from Eastbourne to Hull. We were wasted. Gathered as much alcohol as possible and caught the train at 5am. Managed to jump the train all the way up.

We got thrashed, I think 5-2?

Wouldn't change anything though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here