Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we stay up? Your thoughts

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If and when the football starts I will be just as excited as before. Quite a few of the games I would be watching on a stream anyway, so the atmosphere isn't the same anyway, and sometimes its even on mute if the commentary is in a foreign language or other reasons. Doesn't stop me cheering if an Albion goal is scored.

And yes, I go along with the bookies odds and think we will stay up.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If it restarts, we will stay up. The big factor in our favour is the Mac lad. His cameo was enough to convince me he is going to boss games.

Let’s hope GP remembers how well Bissouma played in that game too.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
If the season is completed I think B'fluff and Villa will stay up at the expense of two from Watford, Newcastle or Palace. I can't actually remember many of their fixtures so it is more a gut feeling than any science.

So am i right that you think Bournemouth or Villa will stay up possibly at the expense of Palace, currently 12 points above the former and 14 points above the latter with 9 games to go? :D

If the season does end early, you do realise that under the WPPG, Palace are one of the very few teams to tangibly benefit as it would move us up to ninth?

Back on topic, yes you will stay up.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Our Saviour is now among us.

01-alexis-mac-allister-signing-31jan20-ph-bj2i2229_crop1580588799027.jpg_423682103.jpg

We are staying up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So am i right that you think Bournemouth or Villa will stay up possibly at the expense of Palace, currently 12 points above the former and 14 points above the latter with 9 games to go? :D

If the season does end early, you do realise that under the WPPG, Palace are one of the very few teams to tangibly benefit as it would move us up to ninth?

Who do you think will drop with Norwich (assuming all fixtures are completed)?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bournemouth and Villa.

Totally confident if all games are played they will go down.

WAPP would put West Ham down, which would be unjust but very funny.

Villa and West Ham would be hilarious for me. Sorry to NSC’ers who love Villa, but I’ve never warmed to them. Spending £125m in transfer fees this season and dropping would be sweet.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not the only positive either.

More games
Better chance of winning a game

And most importantly NO VAR!!

Relegation, bring it on I say!
Nice of you let TB spend £20m a season so we can win a few games or possibly do a Sunderland, much rather see us try & progress in the PL.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Villa and West Ham would be hilarious for me. Sorry to NSC’ers who love Villa, but I’ve never warmed to them. Spending £125m in transfer fees this season and dropping would be sweet.
I’m with you there they did get all billy big bollocks when they went up, Leeds fans will be unbearable if they ever make it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nice of you let TB spend £20m a season so we can win a few games or possibly do a Sunderland, much rather see us try & progress in the PL.

Ironically:

Championship - the club were losing £26m to £30m a season (after removing one off promotion bonuses).
PL - the club loses £22m.

It turned out not to be financial Shangri-La. Players wage and agents costs rise exponentially, absorbing any gains made from broadcasting income and enhanced sponsorship.

Post covid19, I hope football clubs deal with this absurdity.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
We're about mid-table on goals conceded, same as Spurs and Burnley and we've only conceded one more than Chelsea. Problem is the other end of the pitch.

Or perhaps our problem is the bit of the pitch between the two ends? Midfield score few and create few.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

It was very nice of me wasn't it!

So nice in fact I feel its probably about time I removed the gun I have pointed at his head.

My comments were slightly tongue in cheek but only slightly. I'm done with the Premier League, I'm done with the day trippers you get at most grounds including our own. I'm done with struggling to get a ticket for an away game that will no doubt be shit anyway. I'm done with getting beat every week. I'm more than done with VAR.

I'm eternally grateful to TB and every single penny he has put into the football club but we aren't ever going to progress in the premier league and even if we did what is progress? Mid table? That sounds dull, I'd much rather be a yoyo side.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Put it like that, possibly not although I was only thinking if the season finishes with all matches played! However, if Palace had played B'fluff back whenever it was I could see B'fluff loosing. Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see them winning it by a big amount. Playing two matches a week is a dissadvantage to Palace who have the oldest squad in the PL, it's unlikely but Palace could get dragged into a relegation fight.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Put it like that, possibly not although I was only thinking if the season finishes with all matches played! However, if Palace had played B'fluff back whenever it was I could see B'fluff loosing. Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see them winning it by a big amount. Playing two matches a week is a dissadvantage to Palace who have the oldest squad in the PL, it's unlikely but Palace could get dragged into a relegation fight.

As much as I’d like that scenario I suspect Palace are already safe on 39 points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
cluster****. i honestly don't see how they can allow the season to resume , no doubt with loads of ridiculous restrictions , rules and directives , expect it to be a genuine outcome and expect fans to embrace it when they are not allowed to walk around their home town/city , not allowed to visit their grandchildren / grandparents and with the whole spectre of this phony pandemic lurking in the background.....stanley kubrick must be absolutely pissing himself up there ....what a load of old pipe.

Kind of confused by the line //and with the whole spectre of this phony pandemic lurking in the background// how can it be phony if it is lurking in the background? if you think its phony what are your reasons for thinking so?

Other than that I agree with you, I don't think the league should restart, billionaire owners need to put their hands into their pockets and pay back the TV royalties (probably once they have done a deal it will cost them about 30m each) its pretty clear to me that the money is the sticking point and the owners and the rights companies are pushing for a restart rather than come to a deal regarding payment. From the little the players have said it would appear that they are not keen to get back onto the pitch, for example Wolves we be without their captain if he sticks to his word. Personally I think Barber had the best solution call the league as it stands, no relegation, promote 2 (not sure how Fulham will take that). But it is looking like they will force the league back, so I am wondering how we will fair.

The other issue of course is if its not safe to restart the season why would it be safe to start the 20/21 campaign in say October let alone August when it is due to start.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Our saving grace might be, as another poster has said, that the long break has allowed a reset for Potter and the squad.

Give Potter time, plenty of drills, 1-2-1 coaching and team specific tactics and I think we’ll be seeing results like this:
https://youtu.be/m4sLVuoiIxQ

Potter is bright enough to see the opportunities in lockdown instead of the hurdles. A whole season’s worth of tiny mistakes by our rivals will have been heavily scrutinised with players drilled in where those weaknesses lie. We could well be the best prepared team after the restart. I think we’ll finish on at least 44 points and if a mini-league of the post lockdown 9 games were to be viewed, we’re going to be top four.

That said, my preference is that the season is ended SPL style ASAP.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It was very nice of me wasn't it!

So nice in fact I feel its probably about time I removed the gun I have pointed at his head.

My comments were slightly tongue in cheek but only slightly. I'm done with the Premier League, I'm done with the day trippers you get at most grounds including our own. I'm done with struggling to get a ticket for an away game that will no doubt be shit anyway. I'm done with getting beat every week. I'm more than done with VAR.

I'm eternally grateful to TB and every single penny he has put into the football club but we aren't ever going to progress in the premier league and even if we did what is progress? Mid table? That sounds dull, I'd much rather be a yoyo side.
We don’t get beat every week, this season was always going to be a transition with the new manager personally think he has the tactics spot on and with a few additions we could be half decent.

The fan base was changing the moment the Amex opened its doors, yes I preferred football days in the 80’s 90’s early 2000’s probably because I was a young man and loved going with all my mates. Each away told it’s own story back then.

The youngsters of today will never experience football like that unless football does a complete u turn and money leaves the game. Some call it the dark days of football I call it one of the best periods of my life of being n Albion fan.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Kind of confused by the line //and with the whole spectre of this phony pandemic lurking in the background// how can it be phony if it is lurking in the background? if you think its phony what are your reasons for thinking so?

Other than that I agree with you, I don't think the league should restart, billionaire owners need to put their hands into their pockets and pay back the TV royalties (probably once they have done a deal it will cost them about 30m each) its pretty clear to me that the money is the sticking point and the owners and the rights companies are pushing for a restart rather than come to a deal regarding payment. From the little the players have said it would appear that they are not keen to get back onto the pitch, for example Wolves we be without their captain if he sticks to his word. Personally I think Barber had the best solution call the league as it stands, no relegation, promote 2 (not sure how Fulham will take that). But it is looking like they will force the league back, so I am wondering how we will fair.

The other issue of course is if its not safe to restart the season why would it be safe to start the 20/21 campaign in say October let alone August when it is due to start.

Barber was clear on R5 that the club want this season completed, with the club prepared to take relegation on the chin if that came to be.

Did he say instead that he wanted the enlarged PL next season, with no relegations this summer?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
My fear now is that we just don’t know how we ,and other teams , are going to play. Pre lockdown form is almost like last season’s form . Nobody will have had the chance to play friendless. I don’t know how they could do practice games with social distancing. We have new players, Lamptey and Mcallister, how do we test them?
These final games area lottery with survival going to the ones that adapt the quickest.
I used to be confident....now I am hopeful :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here