Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we sign our elusive CF/CM this week?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Isn't that where Vicente plays though, and Barnes takes up a more recessed position on the wings, or do you think Gus will change the way he sets the team up next season?

I'm referring to the spots Barnes would often turn up in last season to slot away chances.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'd hope to see us play wth 2 wingers and 2 strikers next season and I'm not sure that a target man is what we need. our starting line-up consists of a superb midfield but we could struggle if any get banned or suspended so another midfielder could be the key

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If we can only afford one quality player in either of these positions it should be a powerful CM. We are absolutely crying out for one.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Gus said something could happen this week while in spain. But I hear it all depends on the availablity of Tony, who as has been mentioned is becoming a dad for the 2nd time.

In short, this week? maybe.

Surely there are other people to complete the deal than just TB.....

I would assume they are well aware of the impending birth and have taken steps to deal with it.............

Also, I would think medical would be done in uk and then players would fly out to meet GP for training when deal completed.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Surely there are other people to complete the deal than just TB.....

I would assume they are well aware of the impending birth and have taken steps to deal with it.............

Also, I would think medical would be done in uk and then players would fly out to meet GP for training when deal completed.

It has been said that TB's availablity is what will dictate the timing of our next signings.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'd hope to see us play wth 2 wingers and 2 strikers next season and I'm not sure that a target man is what we need. our starting line-up consists of a superb midfield but we could struggle if any get banned or suspended so another midfielder could be the key

Does Vicente have a place in that line-up? Only if you are classing Vicente as a winger or a striker.

Can't see us having a midfield of Bridders, and Vicente with 2 wingers.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
- Because I think we have four really good ones.
- We only play one upfront and Barnes wider, so signing a striker would confine CMS and Hoskins to the bench at best.
- We spent £2.5m on one last year and we shouldn't be so wasteful as to think that throwing more money at it this year is the answer.
- I still back CMS to be the man. I think a fit Vicente is the key to providing him with service he didn't have last season.
- Plenty of people have slagged Barnes off in the past (me included), but he's actually good. Look at his record. It would cost £2 million to sign a player with that record so why do that and waste the one we already have?
- If we can team up Bridcutt, a strong new signing and Vicente in midfield, with one of Buckley and Kazenga, a blind monkey should be able to score goals.
- We have quite a unique style which would take a new signing time to get used to. Why go through that again having introduced CMS to it last year?
- If we sign a new striker, it could be a big money move that just heaps pressure on us/Gus. Pressure is a bad thing for most clubs.

Spot on. Excellent post.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Does Vicente have a place in that line-up? Only if you are classing Vicente as a winger or a striker.

Can't see us having a midfield of Bridders, and Vicente with 2 wingers.

Unless we play 4-3-3 (which I hope we do)?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Whilst I agree with you to a degree... an injury to CMS and we are looking paper thin in my opinion.

Don't agree. What was the game that CMS went off with that eye injury? I thought Hoskins had his best game for us that day, when he came on and played the lone striker role.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Unless we play 4-3-3 (which I hope we do)?

Exactly. 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, or even 4-4-1-1 with Vicente playing in the hole behind the lone striker.

My post was in response to Perkino (and he's not alone) talking about the preferred system of 2 wingers, and 2 up front. But that just could NOT include Vicente, Shirley.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
A lot of people seem to be saying we don't need to change much.

I can understand that from our home performances.

Away last year, especially towards the end of the season, we were diabolical. More problems than a new CM can overcome IMHO.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
It has been said that TB's availablity is what will dictate the timing of our next signings.

I understand that, but it also appeared from GP that things must've been close to some completion in his big two article on sat when he said he hoped to have them by midweek..

I can't believe that at this point they would stop everything indefinitely, hence my comment re other people still involved in completion of transfers if need be

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Away last year, especially towards the end of the season, we were diabolical. More problems than a new CM can overcome IMHO.

A solid defence is not something we had last year, so we have have hopefully gone some way to fixing our away comedy defending with the signing of a new GK, LB and RB

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I understand Robert Unwin is a possibility. I was told he had flown out to Spain but all from an unreliable source so dont shoot the steam engine.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

We'll see. I think the 3 new boys in defence will make a big difference to us going forward, the same way that Casper, Painter and Calde did for our attack 2 seasons back.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
We'll see. I think the 3 new boys in defence will make a big difference to us going forward, the same way that Casper, Painter and Calde did for our attack 2 seasons back.

I agree with this. I think teams will be wary of over committing themselves against us because of we have quality attacking wingbacks.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Re a CM what about Liam Lawrence of Pompey? Not attended training, seems on his way out? He was good at Cardiff last year on loan..

Funny when Gus metioned the other day that he's not ruling out transfer business whilst in spain, I immediately thought of Lawrence.

Would be a good signing IMHO as he helped guide Cardiff into the play offs

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I agree with this. I think teams will be wary of over committing themselves against us because of we have quality attacking wingbacks.

our wingbacks may enable us to go more direct and bulster the centre of the pitch with extra midfielders in a 4-5-1, my only concern is how we get the ball in the back of the net with only one striker as I think Lualua and Buckley are best used out wide

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here