Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we sign a Striker...

Will we sign a Striker...

• On Loan soon

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • In January

Votes: 114 77.0%
  • Neither, play with the cards we've been dealt.

Votes: 20 13.5%

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
£9m doesnt gaurantee the goals etc for promotion as 2 examples in the Championship show, McCormack at Fulham and Rhodes at Blackburn. Wilson cost Bournemouth £3m so that can work. We could do worse than offer £2m or so for Ricky Lambert or slightly less for Kermognant who would both fill the bill, this season.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
£9m doesnt gaurantee the goals etc for promotion as 2 examples in the Championship show, McCormack at Fulham and Rhodes at Blackburn. Wilson cost Bournemouth £3m so that can work. We could do worse than offer £2m or so for Ricky Lambert or slightly less for Kermognant who would both fill the bill, this season.

We already have two big no.9s in Hemed and Zamora. We need a fox in the box, a speed mechant, and I'm not sure Lambert quite fits that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We already have two big no.9s in Hemed and Zamora. We need a fox in the box, a speed mechant, and I'm not sure Lambert quite fits that.

Agreed.

there would also be the issue of his wages being three times higher than our top earner.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Rhodes has got 8 goals this season to Baldocks 2. If he had scored those 8 goals for us this season we would still be at least 4 points clear at the top. Not to mention we are a better team that Blackburn and create more chances so that 8 goals could easily be 10.

A goalscorer will not gaurantee you promotion, you need a good team too. But we have that, don't we?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I still think a quality prem loan is the way to go this time around.

We dont need to be throwing a huge chunk of money around in January.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We need another Peter Ward, a goal poacher who does nothing but score goals like Vydra. My suggestions were based on trying to get Baldock scoring off of a big man as he doesnt seem to be able to do it with Hemed and Zamora or do we cut our losses and discard him.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I still think a quality prem loan is the way to go this time around.

We dont need to be throwing a huge chunk of money around in January.

Yes but a loan from a Premier League club still means a hefty fee and paying huge wages way above anything we are paying our own players.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think even a great striker would have scored last night because we didn't have the players on the wings who could provide service consistently to them. Losing Bong and Kaz has upset the balance and it is more about defending well and damage limitation at this moment in time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think even a great striker would have scored last night because we didn't have the players on the wings who could provide service consistently to them. Losing Bong and Kaz has upset the balance and it is more about defending well and damage limitation at this moment in time.

So more effort perhaps in getting a loan replacement for Bong.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
We will be okay until January. Loans can distrupt the team so should only be signed if absolutely necessary.

Be in the top 6 in January and then get a goal scorer and we could get promoted. But we must spend big. Signing a striker for 1 or 2 million just will not cut it.

what do you base your opening comment on ? We've let a decent points lead slip through our lack of goals.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So more effort perhaps in getting a loan replacement for Bong.

Right now yes. Bruno and Liam have formed a good partnership on the right but we have lost that with having to move Liam to LB, and Bong and Kaz had a good understanding too which we have lost. Wouldn't want to fault Calde because he always gives 100% and I wouldn't want to fault March because he is still young. That said March could do with some one on one mentoring with Warren Aspinall.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Silly suggestion perhaps ! What fee would it take to tempt Chelsea on Bamford?
We'd have to wait until January before he could be legally recalled, so why not shop overseas for better value and sell on potential ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There was talk on the Palace web site last week from the Palace Ast Mnager that Chelsea were going to recall him through not getting enough games.
Yes, but look at the rules for recalling full season loans, and note that it is only possible to do so in the January transfer window.

The Palace Ast Manager was clearly therefore talking about a recall in the January window.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes but a loan from a Premier League club still means a hefty fee and paying huge wages way above anything we are paying our own players.
We wouldn't be able to get a striker that's currently performing in the PL, and we wouldn't be able to get a first choice backup either, so I guess potential targets would be those from the top clubs that aren't in the team, and hope that the club doesn't need a hefty fee or the wages fully covered, as they want their player getting game time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed.

there would also be the issue of his (Lambert's) wages being three times higher than our top earner.
But wouldn't we have the same problem with any £6M+ striker? If they're worth that amount of money to buy, their agents aren't going to say, go on then, ten grand a week will do for now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here