Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we sign a Striker...

Will we sign a Striker...

• On Loan soon

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • In January

Votes: 114 77.0%
  • Neither, play with the cards we've been dealt.

Votes: 20 13.5%

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Forget January - we need a loan asap!

Disagree, although I can see where you're coming from.

Whilst we undoubtedly need a striker who knows where the goal is (I've said before that Bobby can't do it all on his own, and I've never been a Baldock fan in particular), this team has superb togetherness and desire about them. In large part I believe that's because it's been relatively settled. We saw last season what too many loan players do for a team and I'd hate to lose what we have now and start wandering down that road.

Yes, we do need the firepower, and no, one loan signing doesn't mean we then go loan crazy, but I'd still stick with what we have for now. I'm sure the players are aware, just as management clearly are, that we are lacking in certain areas at the moment, but bizarrely that might just be one more thing that's causing them to dig in and maintain this unbeaten run. Team spirit is a precious thing, and when you've got it, as we clearly have, you have to be very careful not to disrupt it.

The only good reason I can see for getting a loan striker in at the moment is if it's one with a definite view to buying in January. Having said that, Baldock's injury today might also prompt us into the loan market if it turns out to be a lengthy lay off, although it appears it's just a groin strain and so nothing too serious.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Having said that, Baldock's injury today might also prompt us into the loan market if it turns out to be a lengthy lay off, although it appears it's just a groin strain and so nothing too serious.

Baldock's injury along with the apparent unsuitability of Elvis/Harper/Hambo for the 1st team currently is why I've changed from 'January signing' to 'loan now'. The window slams shut on the 25th Nov, if Baldock does not recover soon and if Bobby picks up another niggle, we could be left short.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Baldock's injury along with the apparent unsuitability of Elvis/Harper/Hambo for the 1st team currently is why I've changed from 'January signing' to 'loan now'. The window slams shut on the 25th Nov, if Baldock does not recover soon and if Bobby picks up another niggle, we could be left short.

Yeah, fair enough, an injury to Baldock that keeps him out for a while might be the straw that breaks that the camels back I suppose, considering the apparent lack of strength in depth in the position. I really have no clue as to what's going on with Harper & Hambo, Elvis clearly needs more game time to get match fit and Bobby is possibly at a stage in his career where he might be prone to picking up more niggles than the norm.

What I'm very much against at this stage in proceedings is bringing in a loan player purely to add quality, because of the disruption that may bring - even though I believe we desperately need to sign a proven goalscorer in January. Bringing in a loan player to address injury woes is somehow different I feel.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
He is rated at £10m. What about Chuba Akpom of Arsenal is he on a season loan or 93 day.

He's on a season long loan deal from Arsenal. If we're intending to go for a striker with a good Championship scoring record/future Premier League prospect we'll need to part with some serious money. Otherwise we go down the foreign route, which carries more of a risk. Ulloa being the exception.

Tony Bloom must have a figure in mind in terms of how much we're willing to spend. I'd like to think(hopefully not tempting fate), if by Christmas/New Year we're on 50+ points, a figure around the 5 to 10 million pound mark might be realistic to obtain the required standard to get us over the line. Ulloa maybe.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Fatena Gruminolo of Sporting Vagazil has scored 16 goals in 4 games but has suggested via his agent that a move to an English Championship South Coast team performing way above expectations could be an option. Worth a look?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here