Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we sign a Striker...

Will we sign a Striker...

• On Loan soon

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • In January

Votes: 114 77.0%
  • Neither, play with the cards we've been dealt.

Votes: 20 13.5%

• Total voters

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We will be okay until January. Loans can distrupt the team so should only be signed if absolutely necessary.

Be in the top 6 in January and then get a goal scorer and we could get promoted. But we must spend big. Signing a striker for 1 or 2 million just will not cut it.

Injuries can disrupt a team too....no BZ on the bench last night equalled no striker to come on (is Elvis really a central striker?).
.....from the outsiders view it would seem the club have gambled on Elvis being that back up until we sign someone permanently

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Injuries can disrupt a team too....no BZ on the bench last night equalled no striker to come on (is Elvis really a central striker?).
.....from the outsiders view it would seem the club have gambled on Elvis being that back up until we sign someone permanently

Or that Hambo or Harper would be ready sooner.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One answer which people seem to have forgotten is to sign a striker on loan with an agreement to make it permanent in January but the question is who. We could look at MLS as their season is nearly over until March time so possibly Robbie Keane or Didier Drogba on loan?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One answer which people seem to have forgotten is to sign a striker on loan with an agreement to make it permanent in January but the question is who. We could look at MLS as their season is nearly over until March time so possibly Robbie Keane or Didier Drogba on loan?

I don't think they've 'forgotten' - more just aware that its not allowed, to sign an overseas player outside of the transfer window (even on loan).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If Jordan Rhodes is so amazing, then how come Blackburn haven't even threatened the top 6 since the came down 4 seasons ago?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Its a real shame we couldnt secure the services of Vydra, i beleive a striker of his Ilk would see us promoted automatically. Its clear from CH's comments after the game last night that we still havent solved the striker problem that has been with us before Ulloa and since his departure. I am sure all at the club can see it. The next 8 weeks will define our season and what we spend in the January transfer window on a striker. If we are in the mix I am sure TB will supply the cash to get the striker to fire us into the premier league UTA.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, we need a Jonathon Calleri or Jordan Rhodes rather than a Sam Baldock or Tomer Hemed.

Out of interest, how in your eyes, does Jonathan Calleri (£9m, prolific Argie but never played here) differ from Leo Ulloa (£2m prolific Argie, but never played here)?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
But you'd rather have a Connor Wickham than a Callum Wilson, as it's all about how MUCH we spend?

To get a striker who can almost guarantee you goals at this level you have to pay. Of course there will be strikers who cost little but will score plenty, Leo Ulloa being a good example. But most strikers we sign for that price will only get a small handful of goals a season (Baldock, Hemed, Colunga, O'Grady possibly Elvis too)

What i am saying, is to get into the top 2 at the end of the season, we need a striker that will score 1 goal every 2 games. We can either spend another million or two on a striker like Baldock and hope he scores goals, or we can almost gaurantee it with a striker like Calerri or Rhodes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think they've 'forgotten' - more just aware that its not allowed, to sign an overseas player outside of the transfer window (even on loan).

I wasnt suggesting anybody not playing in our league. I name that comes to mind who cant make the WBA side is Victor Anichebe. My suggestion about MLS players were loan option for 3 months until their restarts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wasnt suggesting anybody not playing in our league. I name that comes to mind who cant make the WBA side is Victor Anichebe. My suggestion about MLS players were loan option for 3 months until their restarts.
Impossible to get MLS players in on loan until January.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Out of interest, how in your eyes, does Jonathan Calleri (£9m, prolific Argie but never played here) differ from Leo Ulloa (£2m prolific Argie, but never played here)?

Takes a lot more for the selling club to sell, and very big clubs looking at him. Ulloa, as it turned out was a bargain. But we got lucky with him.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

We can't sign a player from the MLS now as you can only loan domestic players, that would mean we couldn't bring anyone in until January. The MLS season starts in March and any club is likely to want their player back in time for pre-season training and friendly games, that gives us about 4 weeks that a player from the MLS could potentially play for us. Not really worth it if you ask me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry I am not up on all of the regulations I thought that you would be able to bring in an MLS player when their season ends in a few weeks time.

My view, with no good reason, is that Calleri is a player they have looked at but is a red herring and the club have another Leo type bargain lined up for January/

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Takes a lot more for the selling club to sell, and very big clubs looking at him. Ulloa, as it turned out was a bargain. But we got lucky with him.

To be fair, you explained your point pretty well after I'd posted that. £9m on the right man guarantees you goals, rather than a £2m punt that may or may not work. That said, we can't really expect anyone to spunk £9m on one player. Aside from clubs with parachute payments, I don't think that sort of money has been spent on a single player has it?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
To be fair, you explained your point pretty well after I'd posted that. £9m on the right man guarantees you goals, rather than a £2m punt that may or may not work. That said, we can't really expect anyone to spunk £9m on one player. Aside from clubs with parachute payments, I don't think that sort of money has been spent on a single player has it?

No, of course we can't. But i have a feeling Tony will this January. We have had a reported bid of £6.5m turned down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Probably right - Who in this league has ever paid £6m+ for a striker?

Fulham for McCormack
Burnley for Gray
Blackburn for Rhodes
All on parachute payments?

Palace for Gayle? (although they'll pretend he was £328)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here